Adding Scotty rod holder bases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding Scotty rod holder bases

I spent some time yesterday installing Scotty rod holder base mounts on either side just behind the seat of my new Slayer Propel. Although it involved drilling 4 small holes for each base, the entire process took over an hour. Here is why.

I want the rod holders to be easily reachable from the seat so I can pivot them from inline to a 45-deg angle outward for trolling.

018.jpg 019.jpg

I also need to have them in a position so I can easily reach around to remove the rod from the holder when I have a fish on. A second criterion is that they must be far enough away from the seat back so that the rod butt of my longest rod does not bump into the seat back as I pivot the rod outward. On most kayaks with a fixed seating position, I could sit in the kayak at home and choose a position that met both of the criteria expressed above. However, the Slayer Propel's seat is set on a sliding track.

005.jpg

I first had to use the kayak on the water with the Propel unit fully deployed to see where along the track would be a good position for the seat (I did that last week and left the seat in that position). Yesterday I could sit in the seat with the kayak in my basement. I spent at least 15 minutes trying different positions for the base unit with a rod in the rod holder until I found a position that optimized functionality.

020.jpg

I marked off the spot and drilled the first bolt hole. The hole was no larger than the bolt diameter to minimize leakage. I had to screw the bolt into the hole. I always use stainless steel hardware on my boats. It is pricey (>$8 for 8 bolts, washers, and nuts) but resists rusting.

021.jpg

The Slayer Propel has a cup holder behind the seat. When the cup holder is removed, it gives an open access to the space inside the hull. That allowed me to use a bolt, lockwasher, and nut instead of a screw. On my Manta Ray, the distance from the open hole to where the bases were bolted was only a few inches. However on the Slayer Propel the distance was greater -- initially I could not reach the underside of the bolt to attach the washer and nut. I was very frustrated, but eventually found that if I moved to the opposite side of the hull and inserted my arm straight down past my elbow, then out, I could reach the bolts. It was not a comfortable position, but I was able to get all four nuts attached. I used a Phillips head screwdriver on the top side and a ratchet handle and socket on the underside.

022.jpg

Here is the finished product with two Scotty rod holders inserted and pivoted out to trolling position.

023.jpg

I will use two more Scotty rod holders on the gear tracks in front of the seat. They will be attached to Scotty #438 gear track head base units. as I have used on my Manta Ray. This will allow me to troll four rods at once.

31.jpg

My next rigging job is to find a position to mount my Lowrance LMS 527 FF/GPS unit somewhere in front of the seat. The Propel unit (in both up and down positions) will take some potential mounting spots out of play. My initial thought is to mount it on one of the gear tracks on the left side as shown in the photo. That will wait until I have had several more trips on the water.

FF position.jpg
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Looking good John! That is a nice looking kayak.

I find that the rod holders placed just behind the seat where you have them, but pointing somewhat forward rather than backwards are best when you've caught and landed a fish and now need to put your rod down to unhook, measure etc... they're easily reached and you don't have to let out a lot of line to get enough slack to handle the fish. You can also troll with them pointing forward, and in fact, that has the benefit of putting the rod tips in your line of sight so you can see hits without looking back.

I tend to prefer the scotty rocket launcher rod holders so that the butt ends can never protrude too far back, but I also have a couple of the ones you have and like them too.

As far as it being difficult to reach inside the hull to fasten the nuts, sometimes, it simply isn't possible at all. The solution is to use well nuts. I have several on mine and they've held fast for 2 years with above average abuse, so I think they are a decent option when things are tight.

Is that light behind the seat permanent?
    Mike S.
    Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by chex View Post

Is that light behind the seat permanent?
      The light is a small LED lantern I received for Christmas. It is not part of the kayak -- I just set it there for some extra lighting.

It is sitting on the rubber cover for the cup holder. The cover has a snug fit, but can be snapped off quickly. It would be possible to attach a water resistant battery-powered light to the rubber cover and snap it in place when needed. Thanks for the idea.
      John Veil
      Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Looks nice and clean. I have a similar setup on my torque that allows fore/aft (and up down) adjustments, but I went with the flush bases.
        <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Hey John, I can't tell with out you sitting in your seat, but when your turn around to reach for your rods do you have to reach lower than the middle of your upper arm? If so mabey raising the height of the holders may give you some advantage in reaching your rods especially when you have a big fish on, getting the rod out of the holder. Also raising the front ones may give you some clearance from your pedals. That is a nice looking boat.

Comment

John ....... that is 1 pretty boat .......... your rigging looks great

Comment

Thanks Rick. I look forward to warmer conditions to spend more time on the new ride.

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
              John ....... that is 1 pretty boat .......... your rigging looks great
              John Veil
              Annapolis

Comment

John - saw the Slayer propel 13 in person at a Economy Tackle in Sarasota. Looks like a pretty good boat. What is the center hatch behind the seat for? It seems small and an awkward place to have one. Looks like you are having fun rigging it up. Nice job. Looking forward to see you on the water with it.

Outback 2015
                Maui

Comment

That is a good suggestion. I had thought a bit about raising the front ones but did not investigate which parts would allow that to happen. As a general rule, the more individual pieces that are part of a rod holder unit provide more opportunities for something to break at a connection point. Plus the higher the distance off the deck, the greater potential for excessive torque when a strong fish hits. I have never used the extenders before.

I should also mention that the Scotty rod holders I use have a rubber strap that can go across the rod and lock it in place. I found that it is very difficult to unhook it when a fish is on, so I do not use the rubber straps.

I am used to reaching around in my Manta Ray to grab rods from the holders. I spent several minutes in the seat yesterday reaching back to grab the rod and to rotate the rod holders -- the motion seemed to be easy without strain.

Originally posted by scorpioreno View Post
                  Hey John, I can't tell with out you sitting in your seat, but when your turn around to reach for your rods do you have to reach lower than the middle of your upper arm? If so mabey raising the height of the holders may give you some advantage in reaching your rods especially when you have a big fish on, getting the rod out of the holder. Also raising the front ones may give you some clearance from your pedals. That is a nice looking boat.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis

Comment

Originally posted by Goody View Post
                    John - saw the Slayer propel 13 in person at a Economy Tackle in Sarasota. Looks like a pretty good boat. What is the center hatch behind the seat for? It seems small and an awkward place to have one. Looks like you are having fun rigging it up. Nice job. Looking forward to see you on the water with it.
                    Paul -

I think you are talking about the hatch/cup holder on the platform behind the seat. You can see it open in the 4th photo in my initial post. It provides an opening for holding the recessed cup holder -- with the snug fitting black rubber lid, you can use it to hold small objects that you don't want to get wet (e.g., keys, phone, etc). You can sort of see the white cup holder and the black lid in the first two photos.

It also allows an installer to get a hand under the deck to tighten bolts. I was able to use bolts, washers, and nuts to secure the rod holder bases. My Manta Ray also has two of these cup holders.
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis

Comment

I have a couple of the Scotty flush mounts I need to install, but its too cold for me to want to put the yak in the water to figure out the locations.

So I'm going to stop by Lowes and pick up half a dozen bags of sand. I figure I'll lay them on the ground in 2 rows of 3 with an 8 inch gap in between the rows. That should provide enough support so I can sit in the yak and pretend I'm on the water.
                      2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                      Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

I have been using the Scotty mount for over an year and they work great.There one that have an ext on it and haven't had any problem with the strength.With the slip disc they easier to adjust.
                        2012 hobie outback
                        2016 feelfree lure 11.5

Comment

Working...
                        X