Plastic Weld what type LDPE, HDPE, etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plastic Weld what type LDPE, HDPE, etc

I need to fill in a hole on my bow that was created by dragging the kayak. I have used some temporary fixes over the years but decided I wanted to try plastic welding it this winter. Does anyone know what type of plastic is recommended for this? I plan on using the soldering gun technique rather than the heat gun. While researching techniques I have seen where some people recommend LDPE and others HDPE. Can anyone chime in with what is recommended?

I have e-mailed Moken's customer service but haven't heard back from them yet.

Thanks ahead of time.
    Last edited by quikdrive; 01-23-2014, 08:19 AM.
    -Neil

Moken 13 Angler Deluxe

I use HDPE and a heat gun can definetely helps get things started even if you are using a welding iron.

There are some good videos on youtube under 'welding plastic kayak', would have posted links but couldn't figure out how.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Birddog. I definitely plan on warming everything up with the heat gun to start but wanted to do the actual adding of the material with the iron. I have seen some YouTube videos were people just use the heat gun but wasn't sure how easy it would be to gauge how much heat to throw at the kayak. Don't want to burn thru.
      -Neil

Moken 13 Angler Deluxe

Comment

Working...
      X