FF/GPS install on Slayer Propel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FF/GPS install on Slayer Propel

After more than a month of deliberation, I installed a FF/GPS on my Slayer Propel today. I am using the same screen unit that I already have. I bought a new transducer and power cable so I can move the screen unit back and forth. It is mounted on a Scotty bracket that fits into standard Scotty bases.

Here are two photos of the final installation.

019.jpg 020.jpg

I prepared a 15-page document that explains what I did step-by-step. It includes 19 photos. I am happy to share this with any interested members. If you want the document, pmail your email address to me and I will email it to you. If anyone knows how I can attach a .pdf file to a post here, please let me know. I have not yet found a snaggedline feature that allows me to do that.
    Last edited by J.A. Veil; 02-08-2014, 07:26 AM.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

John, I just ordered my new Slayer Propel and am looking for ways to install my Lowrence Mark 4 ff/gps. Never being on the Slayer or any type of fishing kayak, I am thinking what might be the best place to mount the FF. I would have thought on the left or right side slide bracket attached to a Scotty, but you mounted yours in front of that. Would you mind sharing your 19 page document and why you chose that place to mount your ff. My email is pc4sun@comcast.net
    Thanks, and nice yak!

Peggy
    Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
    Cobra Explorer

Comment

Peggy -

I sent the file to your email address. I chose the location to the left in front of my feet based on sitting in the seat with the Propel drive both up and down. You need to make sure the electronics are not in the way of the pedals. I also plan to troll a lot and will use the side tracks for Scotty rod holders. I needed to keep the spaces where I will have rod holders free from banging into the FF/GPS.

The Slayer Propel has many gear tracks -- you can find a spot that works for the way you plan to use the boat. The Scotty 438 gear track head unit allows you to play around with positions without drilling any holes.
      John Veil
      Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Your boat is looking good. I hope to see it at your seminar coming up soon.

Comment

John, are you signed up with Google, have Gmail or something like that? I am and have a Google drive and can upload files like this there. On the lower right is a Person with a + for sharing. You click it, change the setting so anyone can view the link and copy the link and paste the Html link here. Then anyone that wants is can download the file.

http://drive.google.com/
          "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

I do not use Google Drive. To improve access to the installation guide, I added the full text of the guide for the FF/GPS and another guide for installing rod holders on another fishing website http://technicalfisherman.com/forum/...nd-rigging.61/. There are several other informative posts there about rigging kayaks for fishing.

If you prefer to get the installation guide as a separate file, send me your email address.
            John Veil
            Annapolis

Comment

Thanks, John!!!
              I just found out about the Yak Attack Cell Blok which is an all in one battery holder/ff mount. It will be perfect for the front railing like you have yours.

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
              Peggy -

I sent the file to your email address. I chose the location to the left in front of my feet based on sitting in the seat with the Propel drive both up and down. You need to make sure the electronics are not in the way of the pedals. I also plan to troll a lot and will use the side tracks for Scotty rod holders. I needed to keep the spaces where I will have rod holders free from banging into the FF/GPS.

The Slayer Propel has many gear tracks -- you can find a spot that works for the way you plan to use the boat. The Scotty 438 gear track head unit allows you to play around with positions without drilling any holes.
              Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
              Cobra Explorer

Comment

Working...
              X