Kayak Trailer questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak Trailer questions

Im going to make a trailer for hauling my kayaks and the rack im looking at putting on is 2" round bar.
    Im still un-decided on what im going to use to hold the kayaks. Either J-bars, saddles or the wings. I'm leaning towards using the wings in the center so I can put my outback on there fully loaded with crate and all, and then using J-bars on the sides to fit 3 yaks. Im also curious about the saddles. The ads say they hold the kayak on there sides. Does that mean they cant be used for holding the kayak upright too?

Most of the ads for the mounts say they will fit most bars but will they fit 2" round bar?? Or can they be adapted to fit 2" round bar with U-bolts?

Here is a pic of something similar to what i want to make except with different bars.

IMG_8626.jpg

IMG_8631.jpg

The bars on this trailer is similar to what I'm looking at using and this has the wings. Just not sure what brand they are and if he had to modify them to fit the round bars.

YAK%20001.jpg

YAK%20003.jpg
    2013 PRO ANGLER 12
    2013 Cuda 12

Anybody?
    2013 PRO ANGLER 12
    2013 Cuda 12

Comment

I did not reply because I don't use the saddles or J bars or anything like that. I just used square and rectangle tubing and welded it together. Then I went with Pool noodles and black duct tape for a non-specific kayak mount (padding). Do you plan to use your trailer for a flat bed still? Mine was a boat trailer, so it just became a kayak only trailer. If you don't weld you can use track racks from tractor supply or other places. That one with the black uprights is a bolt on truck rack.

This is what I did.
      "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

I've seen your write up on your trailer build before. You did a great job on that.

The idea with using the utility trailer with a bolt on rack is so I can still use the trailer to haul other things when needed.
        I have a pick up truck so I'll just toss my yak in the back for solo trips but when 2 or 3 of us go the yaks will fit but all the gear is loaded in my back seats, which is what I want to avoid by using a trailer.

After seeing the utility trailers and seeing how easy they rust, I'm leaning towards a galvanized trailer now.
        I also want to put a box on it for storage of my gear and also some sort of rod storage too. Either a box or PVC pipe.
        Last edited by CAGE RATTLER; 02-26-2014, 08:58 AM.
        2013 PRO ANGLER 12
        2013 Cuda 12

Comment

I have a utility trailer. I used threaded galvanized pipe and flanges that I bolt to the trailer as cross bars. I have mounted Malone Sea wings to the bars and it works great. I remove the bars when I have to use the trailer to take stuff to the dump. Here's a photo from last summer.

Comment

I don't know what you have at your disposal, or if you can weld. My buddy made one that he made flanges that attach to the side of the trailer and the upright cross bars can drop in and be set with hitch pins. If you buy or make the uprights you can always make a receiver they can drop into.

Did you look at the Texas Trailer thread?
            "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

Comment

Here's my jet ski trailer conversion. Did it with wood. Does't look very good but it works.

IMG_20131020_090031_984.jpg

Comment

If you need a utility trailer as a starting point, take a look at this ad. http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/show...tility-trailer

I do not know the seller and have never seen his trailer. If it is in decent shape, the price sounds good.
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

That Texas Kayak fishing trailer thread is where I got the pics I posted above.
                  That has got to be the best thread ever for getting trailer ideas.
                  I registered there to hopefully get some answers but havent been activated yet.

Thanks for the tip on the trailer John. I'm debating on a 4x6, 4x7 or 4x8 and dont really want to go any larger.
                  I'll probably go with the 4x8 so I can build a rod storage box down the side. I'm also hoping that with a 4x8, I wont have to extend the tongue.
                  2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                  2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by archeryrob View Post
                    I don't know what you have at your disposal, or if you can weld. My buddy made one that he made flanges that attach to the side of the trailer and the upright cross bars can drop in and be set with hitch pins. If you buy or make the uprights you can always make a receiver they can drop into.

Did you look at the Texas Trailer thread?

I've done a little welding but not much and have access to a welder but these racks I found on ebay look to be a pretty good deal compared to the prices I've seen on other racks. The adjustability would also allow me to just put the top bars on the sides of the trailer when towing something other than my yaks. Only question is if the 2" tubing will accept the J-bars, saddles or wings i'll probably use. Ebay also has a set of 4 J-bars or 4 saddles for like $50. much cheaper than the yakima or thule sets that are like $100 for a set of 2.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360778887313...84.m1423.l2649
                    Last edited by CAGE RATTLER; 02-28-2014, 03:22 AM.
                    2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                    2013 Cuda 12

Comment

My buddy added those to his and I think he got them from tractor supply. When he put them on his trailer the center expandable bar as a bit to short and I have to give him some 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" conduit I had to replace it as the bare as a bit short as the trailers are wider than truck beds.

I can't tell if any of those saddles are going to fit on that 2" bar.

Comment

I had a fold-up utility trailer for many years. When unfolded the deck measured 4' x 6'. I made two wooden cross pieces that were wide enough to hold two kayaks. It was not ideal, but worked for an occasional use. I sold that trailer a few years ago.

A 12' to 14' kayak hangs off the back of a 6' trailer quite a bit.
                        John Veil
                        Annapolis
                        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Not to hijack the thread, but do those of you who use an open trailer ever see damage from road debris? I was thinking about that as sand and salt were pelting my truck the other day. Just curious.
                          LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                          Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Nope, I think the biggest threat is from trailer wheels throwing rocks but that's why they have fenders over the wheels. The biggest problem with kayak trailers is guys need to reduce the springs as they are too heavy. My old trailer for my 15 foot bounced hard on bumps and all. The new one is from a light 12' boat trailer with light springs and I can fly through rough areas with it. It just handles better with a light load.

You can't reduce the spring on a utility trailer, or it will be hard to haul other things. Heavy springs will literally throw unsecured things out of kayaks and turn storage boxes in to rattle cans on bumps.

Anything is possible though. Going to the airport 2 years ago a mini van hit a 2' 2x4 in front of me. Spun it up, hit just over the top of my grill, creased the hood on my truck, hit the windshield and over the top. That would have got a kayak on the roof or the racks too. Anything can happen, any time, any where.

Comment

Originally posted by CAGE RATTLER View Post
                              I've done a little welding but not much and have access to a welder but these racks I found on ebay look to be a pretty good deal compared to the prices I've seen on other racks. The adjustability would also allow me to just put the top bars on the sides of the trailer when towing something other than my yaks. Only question is if the 2" tubing will accept the J-bars, saddles or wings i'll probably use. Ebay also has a set of 4 J-bars or 4 saddles for like $50. much cheaper than the yakima or thule sets that are like $100 for a set of 2.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360778887313...84.m1423.l2649
                              I have a two sets of the Ebay j-racks. Got mine from Amazon but from the pictures they appear to be exactly the same. Have been impressed with the quality. Have used them most of this year with no signs of any issues with durability. Took a trip OBX and kept the kayaks on the whole time even when beach driving. They held the kayaks very snug.

I'd recommend swapping out the bolts that come with them with something higher quality. Can't say for sure but I don't think you would have any problem with the 2" tubing. I design of the bracket should grip a wider round better than it would a flat bar.

Comment

Working...
                              X