No announcement yet.

Jackson Cuda Troling Motor Rigging Part 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Sears charger is 10 amps for the overnight and fish the next day charge.
    Jackson Cuda Black Widow

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. Much appreciated. Anxiously awaiting delivery of my motor! Will probably go for a test run this weekend if delivery is on time.

Comment

Originally posted by cryptotek View Post
        Thanks for the input guys. Much appreciated. Anxiously awaiting delivery of my motor! Will probably go for a test run this weekend if delivery is on time.
        Hope you have a dry suit, water temps like these will kill you in minutes if you go in the drink!
        Jackson Cuda Black Widow

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzy.i.am View Post
          Hope you have a dry suit, water temps like these will kill you in minutes if you go in the drink!
          +100 Don't do it!!! If you want to see if it runs, fill up the bath tub and run it in there.

John
          John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
          MK Endura Max 55 backup power
          Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

That is FUNNY John From MD.. I was just filling up one of those 55gal storage bins in my basement to test my motor when I thought to check snagged line and see what is up.

John I see you have an ENdura MAX.. did you take the head off and transplant it up front in a waterproof box like some have done with the non-max units? I ask because I have a MK Endura Max 55 and all the electronics are in a block of plastic in the head and completely molded into the metal head. I am pretty sure the metal head is meant to dissipate heat that is caused by the MAX circuitry. I am just looking to see what others have done with the max units.
            People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Comment

Drysuit has already been ordered gents. I am more likely to test Monday, or the following weekend. I'll keep ya posted

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Smith View Post
                That is FUNNY John From MD.. I was just filling up one of those 55gal storage bins in my basement to test my motor when I thought to check snagged line and see what is up.

John I see you have an ENdura MAX.. did you take the head off and transplant it up front in a waterproof box like some have done with the non-max units? I ask because I have a MK Endura Max 55 and all the electronics are in a block of plastic in the head and completely molded into the metal head. I am pretty sure the metal head is meant to dissipate heat that is caused by the MAX circuitry. I am just looking to see what others have done with the max units.
                Pat,

If I could get just the mount portion of the Bass yak set up, I would remove the head and mount it next to the seat. Currently, I have the motor sitting side mounted in one piece.

The metal that you see is a heat sink for the circuitry of the motor. The older motor used speed coils for adjusting speed and the Endura Max uses a electronic device called a pulse width modulator. As you can see, all the stuff in the head is pretty well sealed except for the potentiometer that is attached to the handle. I thought about putting some dielectric grease around it but never got around to it.

Considering I only dumped a yak once and a canoe twice in my lifetime, I'll play the odds and not worry about it. (Watch, next time out I'll Turtle)

Regards,

John
                John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

My motor head has several what look like Vent holes in the bottom that lead directly into the location of the electronics area.. from the inside you can see daylight through the bottom of the head.. so it is by no means water tight or resistant. I could plug those up but I have to think they WANT that air circulation... I did some research and people have submerged their Enduramax and have had no residual issues (after drying and cleaning it all up). I am now thinking I want to bring the head up from with me and mount it to my center area.. perhaps my "freedom bar" or whatever they call it.

I like your idea of going through the insides and putting liquid electric tape on all connections.

I have more testing to do so we will see where I end up. Pretty safe to say that the normal Endura (non-max) unit would have been better for setup purposes.

Comment

My motor head has several what look like Vent holes in the bottom that lead directly into the location of the electronics area.. from the inside you can see daylight through the bottom of the head.. so it is by no means water tight or resistant. I could plug those up but I have to think they WANT that air circulation... I did some research and people have submerged their Enduramax and have had no residual issues (after drying and cleaning it all up). I am now thinking I want to bring the head up from with me and mount it to my center area.. perhaps my "freedom bar" or whatever they call it.

I like your idea of going through the insides and putting liquid electric tape on all connections.

I have more testing to do so we will see where I end up. Pretty safe to say that the normal Endura (non-max) unit would have been better for setup purposes.
                    Ok, I'm a simple man, that needs pictures...bass yaks.com sells a handheld unit that would fix what you guys are talking about with their kits. Although I can't find them anywhere except through them.....how are they dealing with this issue, I do not understand.....they are cutting the head off and replacing with several options. One including mounting the electronics in the hull with a knob...no heat dissipation. I would like to upgrade when my cheapo C Minn Kota goes out....
                    Jackson Cuda Black Widow

Comment

The regular motor design does not generate much heat in it's electronics.. and they are using the normal design. It is the MAX units that use the Pulse Width Modulation to save energy, but that process generates heat (I am not sure how much yet)... as a result the head of a max unit is mostly metal and the electronics are encased in epoxy looking stuff to help with the heat dissipation....

BASSYAKS simply uses the endura model and moves the electronics to the hull, since it does not generate much heat..

PWM works like this...
                      Instead of sending a continuous flow of power to the motor, it cycles the power off and on quickly.. so quickly that the motor is not affected. Since you are sending less power to the motor (sometimes on sometimes off) you use less power overall.. but that process generates heat in the PWM module. At least that is how I understand it.

Comment

The regular motor design does not generate much heat in it's electronics.. and they are using the normal design. It is the MAX units that use the Pulse Width Modulation to save energy, but that process generates heat (I am not sure how much yet)... as a result the head of a max unit is mostly metal and the electronics are encased in epoxy looking stuff to help with the heat dissipation....

BASSYAKS simply uses the endura model and moves the electronics to the hull, since it does not generate much heat..

PWM works like this...
                        Instead of sending a continuous flow of power to the motor, it cycles the power off and on quickly.. so quickly that the motor is not affected. Since you are sending less power to the motor (sometimes on sometimes off) you use less power overall.. but that process generates heat in the PWM module. At least that is how I understand it.
                        Ok, get the PWM concept....Use the base Endura model!!.....I'm using the C2 30lb thrust, not battery efficient compared to the the new technology, but it works, for as long as my ass can sit in the seat, which has been up to 7 hours...you just can't run it at full throttle, but than again, why would you want too except in an emergency or hurry situation? Trolling on speed 2 works.....speed on two is slightly below a manual paddle speed, 3 is about paddle manual paddle speed....
                        Jackson Cuda Black Widow

Comment

Buzzy,

If you buy the additional expensive cockpit control from Bassyaks, you are getting a portable PWM box and the wiring. They then cut out the speed coils and just use the main + - wires going to the motor and attach to the PWM. In effect, it is a more expensive Endura Max.

If you want to do the same thing, you can buy a PWM off EBAY or Amazon. I was going to do this myself but opted for the Endura Max. You want to look for a PWM that will handle the 30 amps that your Endura 30 will pull.

Regards,

John
                          John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Originally posted by john from md View Post
                            Buzzy,

If you buy the additional expensive cockpit control from Bassyaks, you are getting a portable PWM box and the wiring. They then cut out the speed coils and just use the main + - wires going to the motor and attach to the PWM. In effect, it is a more expensive Endura Max.

If you want to do the same thing, you can buy a PWM off EBAY or Amazon. I was going to do this myself but opted for the Endura Max. You want to look for a PWM that will handle the 30 amps that your Endura 30 will pull.

Regards,

John
                            Can you send me a link to one that can handle the 45lb thrust motor? I would like a handheld unit like the bass yaks, but I haven't been able to find them. I guess I don't know what to each for......
                            Jackson Cuda Black Widow

Comment

Here is a link to a PWM that will work with that motor. You will have to buy a pot to control it with but the PWM people can tell you what to buy. They may even sell one for it. Then all you need to do is put it in a plastic box.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/80A-PWM-PULS...9d40e1&vxp=mtr

John
                              John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Thanks, now I understand...
                                Jackson Cuda Black Widow

Comment

Working...
                                X