Kirkman Hobie Trolling Motor Mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kirkman Hobie Trolling Motor Mount

Been doing some research on a trolling motor setup for my outback and even some google searches brought me back here.
    On one thread I saw someone post about Tom Kirkmans PVC motor mount. The original video is in this forum somewhere but wasnt able to find it again to just update that thread so thought I would post his updated videos along with the original.

I love the simplicity of this setup and will be using it for my 1st trolling motor setup.

Original video:

2013 PRO ANGLER 12
    2013 Cuda 12

Hobie Mount 2:

2013 PRO ANGLER 12
    2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Adjustable mount:

2013 PRO ANGLER 12
      2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Motor mount in action:

2013 PRO ANGLER 12
        2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Do the math

If it works + you're happy = it's all good
          "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

I've also researched the Watersnake ASP 18T motor which only weighs like 7 pounds and has a 24" shaft and a max draw of 15 amps. Its the same motor Toms using except his is the Sevlor brand. They also came out with a 24# thrust version with the same exact size thats only 2 pounds heavier with max of 20 amp draw. They also both come in a salt water version and only cost about $100. Only thing I dont like is just 2 speeds.

Im debating on the watersnake asp 18TS, 24TS or the Minn Kota Endura C2 30 but not sure its worth the extra weight of the Minn Kota.
            Anyone know what the weight of the minn kota is? I believe its more than double the weight but just not sure.
            2013 PRO ANGLER 12
            2013 Cuda 12

Comment

I would look up, speed, power and battery draw. When I did the Minn Kota on the prowler it moved about 3.6mph on 4 and 4.5mph on 5 but drew 16amp and 30 amps respectively. You must weight in battery size, life on a trip and how much the motor draws.
              "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Anyone know what the weight of the minn kota is? I believe its more than double the weight but just not sure.

My Minn Kota Endura Max 40 weighs 17 pounds. The Endura 30 has a smaller motor housing and weighs less.

John
                John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Anyone ever use a PWM (pulse width modulation) or ESC (electronic speed control) controller for running a trolling motor?
                  It converts a non variable speed trolling motor into a variable speed version and also gives longer run times.

I've read as much as I could find (and understand) and now getting more confused.

Is the PWM the same as the ESC?

I've heard of some using an ESC for a RC boat which would be optimal since they are sealed and waterproof.
                  The PWM's ive seen arent and since there seems to be heat issues with them, I'm not sure if they could be sealed up.

The watersnake 18 or 24 would be great if i could get variable speed.

and if I opted to get a minn kota 30 I would go for the endura max 30 instead of the endura because it has the variable speed but then we're talking $220 and this is supposed to be a cheap light setup with as small of a battery as I can get away with.

Here is the PWM I was looking at:
                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/221021510531...84.m1423.l2648

Here is the ESC.
                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRO-BOAT-Wat...item461495ede1
                  Last edited by CAGE RATTLER; 03-08-2014, 01:50 AM.
                  2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                  2013 Cuda 12

Comment

I was going to use a PWM and a Endura 30 but decided to go with a Endura Max 40 instead as it has a built in PWM. A PWM always has at least one pot attached to it as that is the control that you will use in the circuit. With a trolling motor, you would set the motor at speed five and then use the PWM pot to control the speeds. There are also PWM's that have two pots to control the phase dwell as well.

The 30 Amp PWM that you linked to may work with a Watersnake but I wouldn't use one with a Endura as they can pull almost 30 amps on start up.

The Endura Max 40 was less money and less work. All I did to it was cut the shaft and make it saltwater friendly by sealing all the wires, switching to stainless hardware and adding a zinc prop nut.

Regards,

John
                    John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

The 30 amp rating on the PWM is for continuous operation. I believe the peak amperage is usually quite a bit more.
                      I got the idea for using that pwm from another post where it was hooked up with a 30 endura and worked well.
                      If I find that thread again I'll put up a link. I think it was on the Hobie forum.
                      2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                      2013 Cuda 12

Comment

I picked up an endura 30 cheap off craigslist and made the mount for it. 1st attempt i have to call a failure. it just wasnt solid and could be pushed in the forward direction to easily. Found its pretty much impossible to test fit pvc before glueing and my guestamating of pipe length was definately off a little.

2nd attempt I used the threaded schedule 80 to make an adjustable mount and was able to get it perfect and its very solid. After getting the angles just right I used a small aluminum screw through the threaded area to keep it from moving and figured that could also act as a sheer pin in case i hit something hard with the motor.

Took it out sunday for a test run and it worked perfectly. I never even had to remove it from the rod holder all day. In fact after putting my wheels under the outback (DIY scupper cart) I was able to put the motor in the rod holder before launching. The wheels keep the motor up high enough off the ground and i just wheeled the yak down into the water and pulled the wheels out and off i went.

The battery im using is a small U1 35 AH that weighs only 21 pounds. The trolling motor with cut down shaft and transom mount removed, with pvc mount only weighs 12 pounds so 33 pounds total weight. I noticed no difference with the added weight on the outback. I was worried about the motor hanging off the side making the yak lean so I placed the battery (in a U1 sized battery box) inside my crate to the opposite side as the motor and the yak was perfectly level sitting in the water.

Launched at mariner point around 1 pm and started heading all the way around to the quarry stopping along the way to toss some lures. Had pretty strong current against us all the way through the canals and the motor handled it very well. Even into the current and on speed 3 I was able to move along close to 2.5 mph SOG according to my gps. I tried 4th and 5th gear a few times but not very long cause I didnt want to kill the battery to quick. But going into 5th was like hitting a turbo charger. I was really surprised at the difference between 4th and 5th. All the other gears (1-4) was just a small increase in power but 5th really kicked in hard but the mount handled it fine.

Headed back to the quarry and trolled around awhile and then tossed some lures behind the island. Unfortunately the fish werent cooperating on our 1st trip of the year and we took a skunk. sun was starting to set and we headed back and this time we had a little current with us and i felt like i was flying even with the motor on 3. Was moving about 3.2 mph with alittle current and close to 4 mph in 4th gear. ran it in 5th a little more once getting close to the ramp but didnt want to drain the battery down to far on its 1st trip. We were out for 6 hours and There wasnt to much time that i wasnt running the motor. even while fishing i would have it in 1st gear to hold position in the current and manuevering into position.

I figured the 35ah battery had to be getting pretty low but when i tested it with the volt meter when i got home it was at 11.95 volts. Not exactly sure what that equates to in percentage of discharge but i believe a full charge is 12.7 and the battery is considered depleted at 10.7?? If thats correct I guess i was still at 60% charge?? If thats right i'm pretty impressed with those results.

I'll try to get some pics and maybe a video on my next outing. I think i'm going to enjoy haveing this trolling motor especially if i get caught in some strong currents and wind. I just have to get over my girl friend calling me a lazy SOB and shaking her head...lol. Shes actually a very good paddler and even with the motor going i have a hard time keeping up with her even when shes just liesurely paddling. I'd get behind and then start pedaling with the motor going to catch back up...lol. She's normally in her west marine Pompano 120 which is a pretty fast yak but I just bought a tapon 100 as a 2nd yak for quick easy trips and she was using that and shes pretty quick in that thing too. I've never been much into paddling (one of the reasons i bought the outback) but I took the tarpon out for a test run once we got back to the ramp and i think im gonna enjoy paddling that. It moves out pretty good. definately alot easier to paddle than the outback...lol.
                        2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                        2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Great report! I have yet to get out this year with my OC and Endura Max 40 but it is all set to go. I have a personal rule that I don't fish from the yak until water temp gets to be 60 degrees. Don't forget to get the battery on a charger as soon as you get home to keep the sufation down and give it a longer life. What is schedule 80?

Regards,

John
                          John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Sorry john. just looked back at this thread and realised I didnt answer your question.

Schedule 40 PVC is the normal white pvc at HD and lowes. Schedule 80 is stronger and comes in grey instead of white and most of the fittings not only are slip fittings that you glue but they also have threaded fittings. Using the threaded fittings I was able to get the angles exactly where they need to be.

Only got to use my trolling motor once. Just sold the outback today and got a PA12. Now I guess i'll have to modify the mount to fit the PA. Or sell the motor and mount if anyone is interested. I think I might want to attempt building a mount on the rear of the PA and use the variable speed 40 like you have since the pa is heavier.
                            2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                            2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Thanks for the info on the PVC. I didn't know about Schedule 80. You probably don't have the weight and balance issue that I have on the narrower OC Trident but I had to put 17# of weight on the right side of the mount to balance the Endura Max 40 on the left side. It is not a big deal except for hauling the weight to the water.

Oh, one other thought. The PWM in the Endura Max does work as stated. It gives you much more time on the water or the ability to use a higher power longer whichever you choose.

Regards,

John
                              John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Working...
                              X