Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My First Post -- Keep/Refurbish the Tarpon 14 or Get a Native Ultimate 14?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Post -- Keep/Refurbish the Tarpon 14 or Get a Native Ultimate 14?

I am getting older and more rotund and find it a good time to think about my kayak fishing future. I live in Easton, MD. and use a kayak to fish on tributaries around the Choptank River. I don't think that I have ever kayaked more than five or six miles one-way, and, presumably, pedal propulsion would be overkill.

My five or six year old Tarpon 14 has an uncomfortable seating and foot peg arrangement, but it paddles wonderfully. I recently looked at an Ultimate 14 and I like its seating, foot peg and track attachment arrangements, but have questions about how it would paddle and handle wind. I don't really want to invest in a new 'yak. I've got two closely-related questions that I need advice on: (1) would it be cost-effective to get a better seating and foot peg arrangement (if it is even possible) and, perhaps, a rudder, for the Tarpon, as opposed to getting a new Native Ultimate 14 (probably (1200-1500); and (2) costs aside, what are the relative merits of the Tarpon and the Native Ultimate?

You are looking at two very different types of kayaks. The Tarpon 14 is a traditional sit-on-top style. I don't think I have ever used one of them in the 14 size, but I did try a Tarpon 12 for a half day fishing trip. It was fine, but I agree with your thoughts on seating and foot position comfort. The Ultimate is a hybrid kayak/canoe style. It does not have scupper holes to drain out water. You need to show discretion on when and where you paddle it. But under most conditions it works fine.

The Ultimate is quite popular in Florida. When I fished in Tampa Bay in January with a guide, I fished out of his Ultimate 14.5 for 4 straight days with sitting times of 4, 6, 6, and 8 hours. I never got uncomfortable sitting in the Ultimate's seat. The hull paddles very easily and is stable if you choose to stand (I did not). The hull is lightweight and easier to lift onto roof racks than most sit-on-top models.

I am on Native's Pro Staff team. I am happy to talk with you about the Ultimates through a side conversation. Send me a pmail with any questions and include your phone number. I also refer you to Native's website where you can see more details about the Ultimate models. The current Ultimate is available in 12 and 14.5 sizes. Native has just introduced a new version of the Ultimate called the FX. The hull is slightly modified. The design incorporate many of the latest features like multiple gear tracks, adjustable high-low seating, and even better comfort. The Ultimate FX models come in 12 and 15 size.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

For what it's worth I really enjoyed paddling the Ultimate 14.5 in Tampa in January. Mind you I am not used to paddling and I was concerned about my ability to keep pace on lengthy outings. But I did just fine with it. It tracked well, was very stable and the seat was comfortable despite sessions of 6 and 8 hours each.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
      X