Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone seen a rod holder like this before?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone seen a rod holder like this before?

I bought several used Scotty rodholders from a guy through the classified forum on another fishing board. The prices were very good. I got two standard Scotty #279 baitcaster style and two others of a style that I had not seen before. They arrived yesterday.

The other model has some interesting features. I did a thorough check of Scotty's online catalog and a wider Google search to see if I could identify the model number -- I could not. The rod holder has more of a closed barrel, but the unique feature is that it folds over to extend the holder to a longer length. The design and appearance of the post, screw, knob, and other features looks nearly identical to Scotty products, but on close examination there are a few subtle differences. On the face of the knobs on all my other Scotty rod holders there is a "Scotty" label. The new rod holder does not have this. I tried inserting the new unit into a standard Scotty base mount. It fits and pivots just fine, but is not a completely snug fit (there is a small amount of play when locked in place). In contrast the true Scotty pieces lock in tightly with no play. This new rod holder will actually work better for one of my ultralight rods that has a very short rod butt (it tends to fall out of the regular Scotty holder).

I suspect this is a third-party piece designed to work with Scotty bases or could be an older discontinued Scotty model. Have any of you seen a rod holder like this before? If so, please let me know about the brand name. Also, I cannot figure out the purpose of the extended configuration when the sleeve is folded over. The following photos from left to right show: a) comparison of regular Scotty holder (left) and new holder (right); b) side view of new holder; c) side view of new holder with barrel folded out to full extension; d) top view of new holder with barrel folded out to full extension; and e) top view of new rod holder

001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg 005.jpg
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

I agree it may be a third party deal. I have a 279 (first pic , left hand side). It is good. I don't like the little rubber retainer. I like my "normal " Scotty holders much better that have the rotating collar. I think those are far more "turtle proof, plus I've had line get caught in the rubber piece of the 279. Really irritating.
    Hurricane Skimmer 128
    WS Pamlico 100

Comment

I have the flip open rod holder on my SOT Eagle Talon Yak from Dicks Sporting Goods. The flip open rod holder was stock when I bought the yak from Dicks. I thought it was a Scotty holder because it had a Scotty base but I guess not. I switched out the short extension for the longer Scotty one and it works good.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...417832.4417969

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin View Post
        I agree it may be a third party deal. I have a 279 (first pic , left hand side). It is good. I don't like the little rubber retainer. I like my "normal " Scotty holders much better that have the rotating collar. I think those are far more "turtle proof, plus I've had line get caught in the rubber piece of the 279. Really irritating.
        I agree with you about the rubber strap. I never use the strap. I have thought about cutting it off, but have not actually done it yet.
        John Veil
        Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by andrew View Post
          I have the flip open rod holder on my SOT Eagle Talon Yak from Dicks Sporting Goods. The flip open rod holder was stock when I bought the yak from Dicks. I thought it was a Scotty holder because it had a Scotty base but I guess not. I switched out the short extension for the longer Scotty one and it works good.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...417832.4417969
          Andrew - Thank you for that information. I went online and found photos and videos of that kayak. Apparently the mystery rod holder comes as standard equipment on that kayak. It is not a Scotty product, but is designed to look like Scotty -- and it does work with the Scotty bases.

I am still intrigued about why the rod holder is designed to flip over and extend. Do you have any information about that?
          John Veil
          Annapolis

Comment

Cabelas has this one

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boati...3Bcat104538780

Comment

Originally posted by Capt C-Hawk View Post
              That's what I thought of when I saw it.

Comment

Thanks a lot. Those Cabelas models look similar but the ones on the Field and Stream kayak are the exact match.
                John Veil
                Annapolis

Comment

I also had one of these on my Eagle Talon kayak. I think the flip over was not to extend, it was to flip your rod backwards towards you so you could access the the holder easier to put your rod in or take it out of the holder from the kayak seat.
                  Robby
                  2014 Hobie Revo 13
                  12' Camo F&S SOT "Dirty Floater"

Comment

Originally posted by Katfish Jones View Post
                    I also had one of these on my Eagle Talon kayak. I think the flip over was not to extend, it was to flip your rod backwards towards you so you could access the the holder easier to put your rod in or take it out of the holder from the kayak seat.
                    Exactly. It's designed to allow you to keep tension on the line while removing the rod from the holder.
                    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Working...
                    X