Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go Pro vs waterproof cameras

Hello Y'all...

I know go pros are the best out there for taking videos but I just cannot justify spending $400 for a starter kit plus many more $$$ for batteries, memory cards, accessories etc. I want to be able to see the screen for picture taking so I'm leaning toward to Pentax WG-3. Most cameras out there have a threaded attachment for tripods. While the attachment may not be as strong as the go pro, does anyone here attach a regular waterproof camera onto their kayak?
    Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
    2013 Cuda 12

Olympus Tough TG2, Works extremely well.
    Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Pinch,

Do you mount the camera onto the kayak or just carry it in your pocket?
      Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
      2013 Cuda 12

Comment

I keep it in my pocket however I know several people with the same camera the use the Yakattack Panfish portrait for hero shots and video.
        Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

I used I Nikon Aw100 and it has a threaded attachment for tripods. I mostly use it to take pic of my fish and I use a scotty 135 camera mount if I want a hore shot
          2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

I have an Optio. The only thing I don't like is that to get a decent picture I have to place the camera just about 8" past where I need it to be able to stretch and hit the shutter button. I use the delay setting and give my self 10s to get the fish in the picture. I wish I had a remote shutter button but sadly my camera doesn;t have one. It is quite an uncomfortable stretch.
            Hurricane Skimmer 128
            WS Pamlico 100

Comment

The first camera I started with was the Olympus tough camera. It is a great all round camera. I first used it in Islamorada and while I was filming I turtled the kayak and found that it took great underwater video. It has a excellent variety of camera setting for different pics and shoots great video. I now shoot primarily with go pro and AEE cameras and always keep the Olympus on my hip for Hero shots and great sunset and nature pics. The only drawback was when I mounted it on the kayak was reaching to cut it on and off also the screen was a little hard to see in sunlight and at a upward angle. I will also tell you that if you choose a Point and shoot cam try to get one with a high pixel rating so your video zooms are clear.
              Last edited by scorpioreno; 03-14-2014, 05:57 PM.

Comment

If you don't want to shell out the cash for a new one check Craigslist or Ebay. I got my Go Pro Hero 2 w/ Wifi back pac and many other accessories for around $200.
                Jeff B
                Perception Sport 12.5 Caster

Comment

I have a Panasonic Lumix point and shoot waterproof camera that I keep in my bottle holder on deck. I've been pleased with the quality of its photos. It takes video also but I've never used that feature.

However the memory disk port failed. The SD card would stick in the camera. It was still under warranty and Panasonic sent me a replacement camera within a few days of my returning the defective one.

I like the camera and I hope the disk problem was an anomaly. I certainly cannot complain about Panasonic's customer service.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                  Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I was just discussing this with a friend of mine. He has the go pros and also has the Fugi underwater camera. He told me he tends to use the Fugi more due to batterie length. I think the price point is apx. $211. He told me to just make some mounts it has the threads on the bottom also. Thinking about it. I have the Coleman underwater right now but the sound is not that great. Really not that great.

Comment

Originally posted by Donsail68 View Post
                      Most cameras out there have a threaded attachment for tripods. While the attachment may not be as strong as the go pro, does anyone here attach a regular waterproof camera onto their kayak?
                      Just a side to let you know that the GoPro tripod attachment is just about the weakest part of all their products and accessories. Its simply a brass nut embedded in plastic. The first one I got broke just tightening it down. Since then I never mount the GoPro without a safety tether.
                      2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                      Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

As a photographer its hard to beat the wide angle found on the GoPro... I agree that the battery life is less than desirable and you end up investing a lot in the camera.

But you can also set it up to loop the video so you don't have to change the card. You can designate 5, 10, 20 or 30 minute looping. So depending on HD or standard def setting and camera card size you can just let it run. When you hit stop it saves the video and starts a new loop. With a regular camera you are at the mercy of the card size, or you have to wait till you have a fish on to start the video and thus missing the bite on video.

I use a GoPro on set up for environmental video, where you can see me in the frame but the main point is the bigger scene. I carry my iPhone in a waterproof case for the still shots of the catch. It works out nice and since I turn it on and let it run, its not using the wifi connection to the remote and the GoPro battery lasts longer. And aftermarket batteries are not that expensive.

On a personal note, I also have a mount in my Jeep for when I drive I catch all the drivers cutting me off and doing other illegal maneuvers in their cars. That way if I'm ever in another accident I have a video log of what happened and I can finally afford a ProAngler for me and my wife.

Comment

if you know anyone who works in retail and qualifies for the website www.3point5.com have them order it for you. I got my go pro and accessories for 40% off through the site. If I remember, Ocean Kayak was also on there for like 50% off as well as other items. My friend worked for Cabelas and had to sign up with her work email.

Comment

you might want to do a little more research if you think go pro takes the best video quality.

i think sony caught go pro at a very fast rate.

the newest sony is coming out summer time. supposed to be near 8 hours battery life.
                            i have the sony action cam now that shoots a better video then go pro. takes a way better still picture. and the sound isnt muffled or sound terrible. its crisp and clear.

its also 299. i got mine for 200 around xmas.. if ur looking JUST for video only the sony action cam 15 will shoot great video for 129$.. but u need the newer case for 25$ for better sound. but the still image is terrible
                            Zach Moore
                            Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
                            Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
                            Bait Towel Pro Staff
                            2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                            YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

fwiw, I have the Pentax WG-1 (not WG-3, which I'm guessing is a more advanced model of the same thing). Good camera, and you can get a waterproof remote for it, which is great for when you have it mounted in a location you cannot reach from your seat.

BUT, the tripod thread ripped off after 2 uses. It is weak. That said, the WG-3 might have a more robust attachment point than the WG-1.
                              Mike S.
                              Hobie Outback
                              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                              3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Working...
                              X