Crack in the Yak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crack in the Yak

While preparing the kayak for fishing I noticed last night that there was a crack in the bottom of the cup holder running from one side to the other. I decided to stay off the water today and try to repair it. Thank heavens I saved a the material from the cuts I made last summer when installing rod holders, mounts etc. I used this material to weld the crack together.
    I cleaned the area with alcohol, made a few small drill holes at the ends of the crack as well as a few in the middle and, with the help of a soldering iron melted the edges back in place. I then used the previously saved yak material to melt on top of the crack. So far it seems strong enough and water tight. I still want to put something on the underside of the crack to reinforce it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I know this will sound nuts but it will work. Get some heavy dacron fishing line, drill 1/16 holes 3/8 from the crack on both sides, lace it up like a pair of shoes, melt plastic over the holes and coat the dacron with goop. This will give you a stronger joint but it won't look pretty. But hey, it keeps you on the water.

Regards,

John
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Thanks John. I appreciate the suggestion.

Comment

first post think this might be your best bet.. http://www.westsystem.com/ss/g-flex-torture-demo/ ,its avail. at west marine
        Snow Camo Lure 11.5
        Pod mounted 30lbs trolling motor
        Hummingbird Helix 5
        Kayak fishing and inviting! Doing what I love!

Comment

OMG Blackjack. That looks incredible. I will definitely give it a try. Thanks

Comment

is that a remarketing of jbweld or any other epoxy?
            sigpic

Comment

Wow.... that is all I can say.

Comment

Go see or call Dave at River and Trail Outfitters. He fixed the keel on one of mine. The guy knows his stuff. He's been doin it forever. Just a thought.

Comment

Where is River and Trail outfitters?

Thanks,

John
                  John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Harbor Freight sells a plastic welder that is great for repairing holes/cracks. If you haven't seen it, it looks like a hybrid of a soldering gun and glue gun. You place a stick of material in the slot/hopper and push it down into the paddle area that gets hot. The paddle melts the kayak plastic and the extra material from the hopper and fuses the edges together.
                    It works really well. You just have to make sure you use the same material the kayak is made from. I have a old Coleman Scanoe that I need to fix, but it uses a wierd plastic that is not common in other boats. Until I can find a source for that its grounded.
                    I've been told that other kayak companies will give or sell you small amounts of the same material your boat is made of for these kinds of repairs.
                    Just a thought...

Comment

X2 on what Mmarco said.

I couldn't get a clear answer on what type of polyethylene my kayak used. I ended up calling the manufacturer and they offered just to send me a couple of sticks for free (shipping included). They even matched the color lot of my kayak. While doing research it seemed like there wasn't a clear trend in the kayak market between LDPE/HDPE/ etc so it pays to call.
                      -Neil

Moken 13 Angler Deluxe

Comment

More good info for future use.

John
                        John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

John, River and Trail Outfitters is located
                          604 Valley Rd, Knoxville, MD
                          (301) 695-5177
                          It is the road on the right before the first bridge going to Harpers Ferry, coming from Maryland side. You would probably have to make a appointment to get a patch done, but worth it. Then after you get patched up u can put in at Point of Rocks and take out at Brunswick. That is around a 5 - 6 hour fishing float. Target is smallies. Good times.

Comment

I just wanted the info in case I should need it in the future. I have a habit of fishing around rip rap.

John
                            John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Working...
                            X