Scotty Sea Light... Bright enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotty Sea Light... Bright enough?

I was looking at the 42" Scotty Sea Light today but paused before buying because I was reading reviews saying it wasn't very bright. Some even say its not USCG approved as a navigation light.

Anyone here use or have used the Scotty Sea Light? What's your take on it?

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...-Flag-828.html
    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

The Scotty isn't super bright, but it should satisfy the CG regs for a kayak. In comparrison, the Visi-Carbon pro is much brighter and stands taller. The Scotty pole will work with Go Pro's handlebar mount, the Visi Carbon won't. The Visi Carbon will fly a pennant for daytime visibility, and while you might adapt a flag to the Stotty it won't be high enough to see. I have both in the truck and use them both, but seldom use the Scotty for more than the Go Pro. Both use the Scotty mounts.

Hope this long winded answer helps.

Comment

Got a question on the Visi-Carbon pro does it run off of small batteries like AA or does it need a regular power source like a fish finder? Just starting to rig my Kayak and that light and flag seem to be the first item I want to look for. Any help would be appreciated!

eyedaddy

Comment

Mine uses 2 AA batteries with an LED and reflector. I bought it a few years ago so I don't know if it is the same as current manufacture.

John
        John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
        MK Endura Max 55 backup power
        Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Thank John. Who has them local that I can look at? I am from Edgewater. I feel safety equipment should be the first thing to add to the Kayak, the other stuff comes in second place.

Thanks eyedaddy

Comment

I live in Davidsonville. If you want to come over maybe Sunday afternoon you can see what it looks like.

Regards,

John
            John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

eyedaddy, if you're going to the CCA LTJ and kayak fest in Graysonville tomorrow you can see both the scotty and visi pole I have them in my truck (Candy apple F150). I hope to get there between 9:30 - 10:00.

Comment

Hey Thanks I would like that. We are fairly close I live in Beverly Beach. I was in Davidsonville today at Our fly tying class, I belong to Free State Fly Fishers and we meet at the Davidsonville Family Recreation Center. Jut let me know what time is good for you.

Mike "eyedaddy" Mattia
                Last edited by eyedaddy; 03-23-2014, 05:52 AM.

Comment

Ok. We are going out for some chores and shopping but will be back around 3 ish. I will send you an email when we get home. We live on Blackberry Lane, right off of Governor's Bridge Road.

Regards,

John
                  John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

I will be here mmmattia2013@yahoo.com

Comment

Sorry, bad news. The in laws dropped in and will be staying awhile. Sorry, I won't be able to show you the light.

Regards,

John
                      John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

No problem, just give me a shout when you are free.

eyedaddy

Comment

Where can you buy the Visicarbon locally? I saw the Scotty at Dicks, but haven't seen the Yak attack. For a big fishing area, you would think we would have more options to choose from.

Comment

Originally posted by Derekfish View Post
                            Where can you buy the Visicarbon locally? I saw the Scotty at Dicks, but haven't seen the Yak attack. For a big fishing area, you would think we would have more options to choose from.
                            Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Backyard Boats in Annapolis sells them.
                            LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                            Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

You could be correct. I haven't been to Backyard since last spring. They seem like the only place that has a selection of accessories.

Comment

Working...
                              X