Fishfinder: Excess Cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishfinder: Excess Cable

Got my Humminbird 386ci yesterday. I'm planning my installation while I wait for my Scupper Transducer from the Humminbird exchange program. Its too bad they don't make kayak specific installation kits. These wires are wayyyyy too long. The power cable I can cut down. No worries there. But I'm not sure what I am going to do with all this cable from the transducer.

Does anyone know what the minimum bend radius for transducer cable?

Can a coil of transducer cable introduce interference?
    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

I read somewhere, but I dont remember where, that the transducer cable should be coiled no less than a 4" diameter.

You can cut it too, but I don't recommend it unless you have good electrical splicing skills. The cable shielding is key and splicing it incorrectly can and will lead to interference.
    Mike S.
    Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

If you are not adept at spicing RG cable, don't try. Just coil it up in a 4 inch circle, tie wrap it to keep it tight and tie wrap or goop it to the inside of the yak. Wal la - no more cable issues.

Regards,

John
      John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
      MK Endura Max 55 backup power
      Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

The FF is calibrated to have a specific distance cable. Leave it loosely coiled and just keep the coil together with some cable ties. Don't try to splice it.
        Hurricane Skimmer 128
        WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Alright, I'll be coiling it then. Four inches or looser.
          I'll have to come up with a secure way to store it below along with the Humminbird mount while car-topping.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by buzz View Post
            Alright, I'll be coiling it then. Four inches or looser.
            I'll have to come up with a secure way to store it below along with the Humminbird mount while car-topping.

Thanks.
            Just tie wrap it to your forward scupper pylons inside the hull. They sell long tie wraps at home depot and Lowes that work just fine.

John
            John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
            MK Endura Max 55 backup power
            Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Excellent.
              I have some giant twist ties that I got for Christmas that should work nicely.

Comment

Working...
              X