Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weed trimmer line rod/paddle leash?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ondaLGDAtb0

Pretty much, this guy boils and cools (10 mins each) weed trimmer line that he coiled around a dowel. The trimmer line holds the shape of the coil and is then used as a leash.

Has anyone tried this? And if so, does it hold it's coil even after being stretched out multiple times? I would imagine that after some use it would just become uncoiled.

Cheers,

Dan
    Daniel Kwon
    2019 Hobie Outback Slate Blue
    2002 Triumph 190 Bay Suzuki DF115

Originally posted by dkwon View Post
    I would imagine that after some use it would just become uncoiled.
    Exactly what i was thinking.

Although the heating method is how they get those telephone handset cables to coil.
    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

This idea looks like it would work very well providing that you have the time, equipment, and lol...the Cooking Pan. I have seen this post on Youtube a while back. You can achieve the same result by going to Kmart and buying the 25ft coiled telephone cord for around $6.00. 25ft of telephone cord gave me more than enough to make a paddle leash, also made several rod leashes and several leashes to attach to my PFD and still had plenty left over to make a few more. You can get the the aluminum carabiners from Walmart; they sell them by the bundle. Also, those aluminum "thingy's" he was using a hammer on to connect both ends..... you can also use "wire ties" and get the same results. You can make several leashes at a fraction of the cost and time it would take to complete what hes doing. But hey, if you have that kind of time on your hands.....I say go for it.
      Hobie Pro Angler 14 Yellow

"Only two sailors, in my experience, never ran aground. One never left port and the other was an atrocious liar"

Comment

I used this method to make leashes for my mirage drive and boga grips. They work great, and keep the coiling well as long as you reverse the coils after cooling. Took me maybe an afternoon to assemble the materials and construct. Price was likely around $3-4 per leash in the end.

Edit: Stick to the ferrules if you're going to do this. The weed eater line will slip through wire ties.

Comment

Originally posted by RxForFishin View Post
          They work great, and keep the coiling well as long as you reverse the coils after cooling.
          What do you mean by "reverse the coils after cooking"? I didn't see that in the video...

Comment

He recently added an update to where you take a hand drill and wind the string opposite the coils and you get a much tighter coiled leash:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwGA...4wSkWHmfOsoXFg

Comment

He recently added an update to where you take a hand drill and wind the string opposite the coils and you get a much tighter coiled leash:

ah-Ha!

Much better result. I may have to try this.

Comment

I try this but after a period of time it would stretch out of shape.I just went back to coiled telephone cord.
                2012 hobie outback
                2016 feelfree lure 11.5

Comment

I had some old line laying around and gave this a try last year. It still coils nicely and works fine. I seem to remember my hands getting tired though when wrapping it around the dowel.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice. I definitely like the idea of using a powerdrill.

I guess the choice in either using telephone cord vs. trimmer line would be determined by which would keep it's coil longer. I remember when my family had a telephone (haha) and the coil would always end up loose. Did this happen to your leashes?
                    Daniel Kwon

Comment

For my ends I used large fishing coastal lock snap swivels and offshore leader material crimps to make the loops. works great.... and inexpensive.

Comment

Originally posted by plastic boat View Post
                        For my ends I used large fishing coastal lock snap swivels and offshore leader material crimps to make the loops. works great.... and inexpensive.
                        Could you provide a link to BPS or any other store regarding the "leader material crimp"?

I can picture what you're talking about, but I can't find it on a website. Thanks
                        Daniel Kwon

Comment

This is what I have, left over from my off shore days. All you really needs is the right size crimps and crimping pliers. I will bet you already have the pliers since most "fishing" pliers have a crimper area on them. any good tackle shop that handles salt water gear should have the crimps loose or in a small kit and most good hardware stores have them per piece in the wire cable picture hanging section but may not last in salt water. Don't try Home Depot or Lowes they do have them in limited sizes and are to expensive. 2 of them should not be $3.00. When I was on the Eastern Shore of Virginia last week that Walmart had the crimps and pliers The Walmart near my home doesn't carry any Salt water gear.

http://www.basspro.com/World-Wide-Sp...4e_41408730751

Comment

Working...
                          X