No announcement yet.

Outback rod holder rubber caps/covers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outback rod holder rubber caps/covers?

They seem to be in the way and not of much use. Do most folks remove them? The screws that attach them to the hull have managed to scratch to paint on the new Jeep's hard top quite a bit...don't tell my wife (it's her Jeep).

If you remove them, what did you plug the screw hole with? I was thinking hot glue gun, as long as I can get inside the hull to tape or hold something to keep the glue from running through the hole and into the hull before it sets.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

The screws that attach them to the hull stick up above the top of the hull. When "my" Jeep gets here it will have hard top taken off almost immediately, but I'm worried the screws (that are sharp enough to scratch the other Jeep's hard top) will mess up (cut or at a minimum be abrasive causing a tear) to the bikini top I run when the top is off my Jeep.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Mine are still on, but I think the screw holes are molded into the hull so they dont actually go all the way through. You could probably just take them off and leave it at that.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
        Mine are still on, but I think the screw holes are molded into the hull so they dont actually go all the way through. You could probably just take them off and leave it at that.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk
        I'll have to take a look. They have everything else molded in, so that makes sense. If they are molded in, I'll just fill them with with something that will set up and keep it clean.

The screws for the bungee paddle holder stick up also, but I think they are lower than the gunnel.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

The screw holes go all the way through the hull. I just took the screw out of one, it's a machine screw. I was expecting to see a nut molded in to match the threads of the screw...it is just a threaded hole in the plastic. I'm going to remove all four screws that hold the four plugs/covers and fill the holes with something to make the screw holes water/air tight. Not that I'd worry about four 1/8" holes sinking my ship, but there's no reason to leave them open.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

I have them on my Revo.

They don't bother me and I actually like them. They flip up out of the way when I insert the rod holders. If I don't use the rod holders I keep them in place to block water from going into the holes.

After trips I always rinse my boat with a hose. I use the caps then to prevent water from entering and sitting in the holes while the boat is stored.

Not a big issue but I think they serve a good purpose.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I store my boat upside down, so they would drain anyway. The back ones don't stay seated so they are kind of useless. I'm going to remove all four of them before the next trip.
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                The screws that attach them to the hull stick up above the top of the hull. When "my" Jeep gets here it will have hard top taken off almost immediately, but I'm worried the screws (that are sharp enough to scratch the other Jeep's hard top) will mess up (cut or at a minimum be abrasive causing a tear) to the bikini top I run when the top is off my Jeep.
                Mine sits roughly 8 inches above my Jeep's top. Aren't you using a rack of some sort?
                2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Nope, no rack. I haul directly on the hard top.
                  Hobie fleet:
                  2017 Quest 13
                  2015 Outback
                  2014 Outback

Comment

Well, that's your problem right there.
                    How about a couple of fat pool noodles between the yak and the hard top? That might do the trick.

I pieced together a simple DIY rack. A lightbar I found on Craigslist up front and a Reese Towpower Canoe Loader ($45 at Walmart) in the back.
                    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

LOL.

A couple pool noodles would have prevented the scratches.

I might get a hitch rack to support the rear for the TJ, otherwise it will only sit on the roll bar and windshield frame.
                      Hobie fleet:
                      2017 Quest 13
                      2015 Outback
                      2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
                      X