Tandem Kayak....thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tandem Kayak....thoughts?

So last year I was able to put my son in front of me on my Ride 115 and I paddled us around no problem. It worked well, as he was fairly short and was only 45lbs. This year, he has grown up a lot! Much taller, and weighs 55lbs...and still growing! I want to get us a tandem kayak, as it would be much more comfortable for him, and easier to manage everything for me. He isn't ready for his own kayak due to his comprehension delays. I figured with the tandem, it would be much easier to teach him how to paddle. So a solo kayak for him is out of the question right now. Also, I don't want to go all out and get something like the Big Tuna. Currently, for used kayaks I'm looking at the Feelfree Corona 13', the Tarpon 130T from Wilderness Systems, and the Emotion Comotion. I'm curious if you guys have any thoughts on these kayaks or any others. Thanks!

I always thought the Native Ultimate tandems were cool and looked comfy. I believe the ultimate is a lighter weight craft than a sit on top kayak.
    Seems like it would be hard to go wrong with a tandem Tarpon if this is a temporary boat.
    The biggest negative with tandems to me is the length and weight. The older I get the more I'm concerned with how heavy a kayak is.

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
      I always thought the Native Ultimate tandems were cool and looked comfy. I believe the ultimate is a lighter weight craft than a sit on top kayak.
      Seems like it would be hard to go wrong with a tandem Tarpon if this is a temporary boat.
      The biggest negative with tandems to me is the length and weight. The older I get the more I'm concerned with how heavy a kayak is.
      I'm with ya on the weight issue! I have to cartop whatever I buy. I've seen the tandem ultimates (even owned the U12 for a bit), but I'm still leaning towards something with scuppers. My son likes to lean real far over the sides, so if he flipped out of the native, it wouldn't be as easy to get him back in.

Comment

Originally posted by HearadonCatch View Post
        I'm with ya on the weight issue! I have to cartop whatever I buy. I've seen the tandem ultimates (even owned the U12 for a bit), but I'm still leaning towards something with scuppers. My son likes to lean real far over the sides, so if he flipped out of the native, it wouldn't be as easy to get him back in.
        I was going to reply with the following until I saw your post and see where you are coming from. Anyhow.

This is probably not what you had in mind but a while back I was in your position and again recently. In my opinion there simply were no great tandem options on the market. (Exception now maybe being the Big Tuna) but even that has its limitations. I looked at the Native Ultimate and was not impressed. (By the way, I have a Malibu Stealth 14, Pungo 14 and an Outback not just a canoe.) Going with my kid(s) I figured I would be going in calmer conditions and settled on the Mad River canoe. (Adventure 16). The older versions are far better than today’s flimsy offerings. It’s easily car topped; integrated seats with backs makes it easy to paddle like a kayak; it’s as fast as most fishing kayaks out there; has far more room to move around in esp. for the kid(s) ; easy to stand and site cast etc.

MRC.jpg
        Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
        Predator 13

Comment

I have an OK Malibu 2xl. I fish with my son, about 70lbs. I went last weekend with 2 kids, bit cramped but we did about 5 miles with no issues. Tandem it works like a champ.

The kayak is pretty wide and stable and I car top it. I think it weighs like 65lbs.

Comment

NuCanoe Frontier 12. Can be configured for solo or tandem. It is very comfortable in both configurations. It has scuppers and I have had it out on the bay on a pretty rough day. I wouldn't say it is the best fit for big open water, but it is as stable of a kayak as you will find and you can put regular boat seats on it. I've taken other passengers up to 280 lbs on it. It is worth looking into to, but it depends on where you plan on going. I prefer a Hobie on the bay.
            2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
            Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

Comment

Thanks everyone for the input! As of now, living out here in western maryland, it will only be lakes that I take him out on. I forgot about the OK Malibu 2xl, I'll have to check that one out. As far as the NuCanoe, its a really nice rig, but out of my price range. Although, if I can convince my wife, it can work as a dual purpose. Hunting platform for dad and tandem for the kids! Any others I'm missing for paddle tandems?

Comment

I would go with Malibu2 XL
                I have fishe on a tandem for several years and this kayak is certainly fishable. And likely the most economical out there
                14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

here is a malibu2 XL set up......not my pic

and here is a couple guys in Olympia WA fishing out of a Malibu2 xl
                  Last edited by kevinfry; 04-19-2014, 10:13 PM.

Comment

and here they are on the pacific.....

Comment

I love my big tuna. Take my five year old out no problem. Paddles just as fast as my predator 13 in solo and a total beast for crabbing in solo mode.
                      Cuda 14
                      Big tuna

Comment

Working...
                      X