Looking for a way to elevate my SOT seat a little

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a way to elevate my SOT seat a little

I am trying to improve the seating on my Ascend D10T. I would love to have an elevated framed out seat but I imagine that is more trouble and costly than it is worth for me. Ascend doesn't really have much in the way of aftermarket accessories. My interests for this are twofold, a little extra cushion would be great but I am more interested in staying out of the small quantities of water that pool up under the seat (scupper plugs in place are the lesser of 2 evils, without them I get much more water).

I was thinking I could look for some closed cell foam to put under the factory seat but am not exactly sure what type of foam would be firm enough. It certainly wouldn't do any good to get 2-3" foam that condenses down to less than 1" when I sit down.

I wouldn't be opposed to any DIY mods to frame out the existing seat.

Suggestions?
    Mike

I did it on my Tarpon 14 by installing an STS Elite molded seat on top of the original Tarpon seat, less the back to it. Having slid right off the side of the new seat quickly after my initial launch, I think that it may have raised the center of gravity too much. I may pull out the original Tarpon seat cushion.

Comment

I did a quick google and saw this:

I am not on pinterest so the picture is as far as I got, looks like he has some type of seat mounted to a board that fits down into the seating platform on that kayak.

this is the site: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/438467713693194049/
      Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Originally posted by Turtle135 View Post
        I did a quick google and saw this:

I am not on pinterest so the picture is as far as I got, looks like he has some type of seat mounted to a board that fits down into the seating platform on that kayak.

this is the site: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/438467713693194049/
        Fortunately my wife has a pinterest account. This is certainly a step in the right direction for me. Not sure I would want to attach a cafeteria chair but this could easily be a platform with a fold down back or something. Thanks!
        Mike

Comment

surf to summit makes this.

http://www.amazon.com/Elevated-Fishi...ats+sit+on+top

Comment

Originally posted by Capt C-Hawk View Post
            That is pretty much what I want to do with my current seat. Just not sure what kind of foam I should be looking for.
            Mike

Comment

Pool noodle should work. Cut into strips and then in half and that should be enough. Lash it all together.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Kokatat Pro Staff
              Torqeedo Pro Staff
              Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
              Alan

Comment

You can try using a "Throw able" boat cushion either under your seat or on top of your current seat. I have the same model Kayak and the guy I got it from had the same problem he just filled the scupper holes with silicon which I will remove. I have been looking for something on the lines of the seat with the board on it. What I found was a seat from a no longer used Deer stand that rotates and will modify it to fit and leave the drain holes open. I will keep you informed of my progress.

eyedaddy

Comment

This is cool

Comment

Originally posted by hookmeup View Post
                    Great idea, could be used for all kinds of kayak projects. The sanding technique at the 7:50 minute mark is priceless!
                    Mike
                    Feelfree Lure 11.5
                    Ocean Kayak Zest Two EXP

Comment

Ended up finding some 2.25" closed cell foam on ebay for $20. The seller said it is a popular choice for kayaks. Low compression and won't soak up any water. Sounds like an infinitely better option than building a plywood platform to raise me up. We shall see.
                      Mike

Comment

Working...
                      X