Fish finder blowing fuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish finder blowing fuse

My fish finder keeps blowing the in line fuse and can't figure out why. Anybody else ever had this issue?

I think the fuse is there to protect the FF from the battery. My guess would be it is a battery issue or a short in the wiring.
    Mike

Comment

Are you sure you have the right sized fuse? Check the owner's manual...

Comment

What fish finder, how much does it draw and what size fuse are you using?

Lets say you use a 1/2 amp fuse and its draw 330ma or .33amps. Many units draw more power on start and if you have a quick blow fuse, pop.
        "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

I have the lowrance x4, never had the issue until yesterday. The fuse they recommend is a 3 amp, and it blows it as soon as I connect to the battery. I did solder the battery connectors to the wires for added strength, don't don't think that should do anything different. Puzzling.

Comment

As rob stated, there will be inrush current but if the manufacturer specs 3A ocpd that should accommodate the draw characteristics of the equipment. Just for sh**s and giggles, Is the fuse inline w/ the positive lead from battery prior to ff? I would troubleshoot dead faults first here.
            Last edited by somdsparky; 04-27-2014, 11:40 AM.
            feelfree Moken 12.5

Comment

The fuse is there to protect the circuit and all parts, first off does it blow the fuse if fishfinder is not plugged in, if so check your wiring. Next does it blow with fishfinder plugged in but not turned on, if so check your connections and pins on fishfinder and plug. Next if it blows fuse only when you turn on fish finder, check and see if the little rubber flap is sealed tight on bottom, if not let unit sit for a while with that out, you either have a bad fishfinder or a wet one which might dry out.....Jack

PS Checking everything I mentioned first such as wiring , pins and if unit is wet should be done before the troubleshooting phase.

Comment

Please check the soldered wires are not touching each other,they should be isolated by shrink wrap on each wire then another shrink wrap over both. I just finished hooking up the same unit on my son's Big Rig without any issues.

Larry

Comment

Check your pin connector on the FF to insure you haven't bent any pins and caused them to touch.

John
                  John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                  MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                  Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Thanks for the help! It ended up being the pins. Don't know how, but one got bent, and was causing it to pop. Carefully pried it back into place, and it's working like a champ.

Comment

Its a good thing you had that fuse! That shorted pin would have glowed cherry red and melted the connector and maybe the back of the fish finder. I have seen guys short batteries plenty of times and wires turn into electric heating elements in seconds!
                      "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Originally posted by archeryrob View Post
                        Its a good thing you had that fuse! That shorted pin would have glowed cherry red and melted the connector and maybe the back of the fish finder. I have seen guys short batteries plenty of times and wires turn into electric heating elements in seconds!
                        +1 and that is with only 12 volts. You should see what happens when a 24 volt aircraft battery shorts out.

John
                        John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                        MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                        Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Working...
                        X