Product report - buff with a breathing vent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Product report - buff with a breathing vent

I am getting more concerned about too much sun exposure, particularly on my face. Last fall I bought a buff and began wearing it. It did a good job in blocking the sun and provided some warmth during the cold weather months. My biggest gripe was that if I pulled the buff over my nose, my sunglasses would often fog up. Someone told me they had seen a buff design that had a breathing vent. I did a quick Google search and found the Breathe Like A Fish company that offered several styles of buffs that included a mesh-covered oval to allow exhaled breath to escape. I ordered the model that had the oval opening in the front plus two vent slits along the neck and was able to test it over the weekend on three days of fishing on the lower eastern shore.

I was very pleased with the fog-reducing performance of the buff. I had only occasional sunglass fogging episodes. I did not like the fit of the buff as well as I do the original buff I bought last year. In particular, the mesh oval is located very near the top edge of the buff so there is little fabric to cover the areas to the side of and above the nose. But overall, I would give this a 4.5 out of 5 stars. I plan to wear it as much as possible to minimize sun damage to my face and nose.

Wearing a buff and hat with a collar flap looks a bit goofy, but nowhere near as bad as having skin cancer scars. Here are two views of the buff with and without the hat. [Disclosure: I have no business relationship with or financial interest in the Breathe Like A Fish company]

007.jpg 008.jpg
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

John,

I would be careful in that getup, I just saw a similar picture down at the Post Office.

All kidding aside, I, after having been baked black in my younger days, now cover up and use SPF 50.

John
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

John, you kinda look like a ninja in that one picture. A fish ninja. The fish - they fear you ! I definitely like it. I've had problems with the fogging issue you mentioned. I thought of just cutting mine, but for the 20 bucks, i'd hate to have it get messed up by doing so. Thanks for the report. Sorry you guys had a tough time down at the E shore. I'm headed that way in late may and hoping things pick up by then!
      John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
      Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

All for it. looks good

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Nice John. I need to get one.

Comment

Thanks, John. Like you, I am trying to save my skin, so I just ordered one. Thanks for posting about this buff. I like that hat you have and will look into finding one of those. I
            found this link for some super inexpensive SPF shirts: http://www.hanes.com/clothing/men/me...sleeve-t-shirt
            Last edited by Pc4sun; 04-30-2014, 08:03 AM.
            Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
            Cobra Explorer

Comment

Thanks for the T shirt link. I just ordered a couple.

John
              John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
              MK Endura Max 55 backup power
              Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Right on. That's the way to go. All my buffs are self-modified to add the venting, but they're not nearly as elegant as yours.
                Mike S.
                Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Mike -

I've seen photos of your homemade breathable buffs. They are far more creative than the one I have.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Peggy, thanks for the t-shirt link. Can't beat the price.

Comment

I've worn my new buff for a few weeks now and can't believe I haven't been using one all this time. I enjoy being tan like everyone else, but for the amount of time I spend out in the sun it's not worth the risks and the wrinkly skin later. The damage is well known in this day and age so I think it's a worthwhile product. The sunglass fogging is an issue so my nose is usually uncovered.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                      Kokatat Pro Staff
                      Torqeedo Pro Staff
                      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                      Alan

Comment

Working...
                      X