ride 135 rudder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ride 135 rudder

I was thinking of putting a rudder on my ride 135.what r the advantages of having one on my kayak

I have one on my Ride 115. I like it a lot because I don't have to worry about steering while I'm paddling, just paddle and go, let my feet do the steering, especially in the wind.
    Mark Harrison

Hobie Outback - Yellow

Comment

Thought about one for my 135 as well. What is the scale of difficulty to install on a 1-10?
      Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

There are a couple walk thru videos on you tube that show how to install them. It looks pretty straight forward (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2paWTxaHKE)
        I have also thought about putting one on my Ride 135, but the thing that I don't really get is how they affect paddling the kayak when you are going for long distance or have to put some power into your paddle strokes. When I have to paddle mine for a long distance, I try to focus on my paddling technique and I use the balls of my feet to press pretty hard on the foot pedals to transfer the power of the stroke to the boat. Doesn't using a rudder prevent you from doing that? Does it make you go all side to side?
        2013 WS Ride 135
        2015 WS Ride 115

Comment

Its not hard to install, but watch the youtube videos several times! The directions that come with the rudder kits from harmony are all but useless! I followed one of the video and it made it simple. The only thing they forgot to show was you was a 3/4" flush bolt to the rudder foot control on each side, SO the don't fall out!! I found that out on the first trip trailering it on it side. I saved all the extra hardware and now it all set and done. That bolt goes in the only spot 3/4 back to the paddler where a recessed bolt would go.

On the foot peddles, yes, you can't push on them unless you push on both equally, or your steering. I personally don't think pedals are useful as I started my career in a canoe and can paddle the same cross legged or straight legged. I power stroke by rotating and pushing my torso back at the same time., but that is just me.
          "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

I have one on my Ride 135 (factory installed). I use it about 50% of the time. Helps in a cross wind or current. No problem paddling, you will easily learn how to counter the pressure for power stroke. Plus it is wonderful when I am under sail

Comment

I just installed a smartrack rudder with the smartrack Toe Pilot Foot Control on my Ride 135. I have not had a chance to use it yet but it sure looks and feels good so far. The installation wasn't really that hard once you read the instructions. The toepilot pedal were a pain the butt to install, they are not designed for the Ride and again you will have to improvise with adapters and what have you. Even though I got them installed, I don't recommend them. Here are some pictures of what I did and how it looks.

Rudder1.jpg Rudder2.jpg Rudder.jpg

Comment

Working...
              X