Tarpon 120 vs Pungo 120 sorta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tarpon 120 vs Pungo 120 sorta

I went out around Route 90 bridge on 4/19/14 on a Tarpon 120. After all of the debate of taking my Pungo there we ended up renting. We rented two Tarpon 120's. ( I had a A++ experience renting from Costal Kayak, they delivered and picked up from where we were staying ). I had been wanting to try the Tarpon's for a while now. We launched from shore on bay side 67th Street area around 1000 hrs. The water was calm when we started. I was using gulp shrimp and we made our way to the bridge and I worked out to the flat concrete pillars on the bridge and I stayed out there for a while. The Tarpon tracked very well and it was comfortable. This was my first time on a SOT and it did not feel tipsy and it was stable. I did however have a Camelback BFM that I generally bring with me and I put that between my legs. I should of put it in the back of the yak were the storage area is hence storage area, but I did not. Because, I needed to access it to get to my gear and I was not sure if i was going to be able to reach back there. Now, I think I would of been able to, but I really did not want to put my Chinook to the test and possibly loose all my gear.

Well, I went all around the pillars and there were a couple of boats out there no other yakers, and a couple went by me and waked it up for me (really) and the Tarpon handled fine. If you are wondering I only caught seaweed, lol. So after a couple of hours the wind started picking way up and the nice calmish water that I started in is now rolling. Now being this is my first time in the bay, I had my moments of what am I doing out this far. I'm now thinking I should of listened to my buddy a hour of two ago to go closer to shore. So now I need to get back to shore and the bay is rolling with slight white caps and the self bailing is working and I go 25 feet and loose 10 to 15. The Tarpon is doing great, tracking well, very stable and moving along like a champ as I am paddling as if I am in a race. Now I am thinking maybe I should just go with it and just let the wind take me over to the other side. No, what would be the fun in that, Im wearing my Chinook and I have a whistle, so onward I go and eventually I get closer and closer to the shore and I see my buddy and he is oblivious to the adventure I had been on and we get to the shore line and our families are there. With the normal questions, did you catch any fish? nope just fun.

Now I generally fish out a of a Pungo 120 on the Upper Potomac and Susquehanna River. I find that the Pungo is very stable and I like that cockpit in the Pungo as where the Tarpon is open and did not have one. I know I could rig one up using the slide trax but at the time it was not a option. I think that the Tarpon 120 and the Pugo handle very similarly, at to the Tracking and speed. If I was guaranteed calm water or if was in the back water on the bay I would take the Pungo in a heartbeat but on the open bay where the weather can change on a dime I personally think a SOT is what you need. Now if you have a skirt for yours that may be another story, i do not have one so I do not know. I have gotten alot of water in by Pungo, never swamped it yet, hope not to, but that is what a sponge is for. lol.

So in a nutshell, I liked them both, for the type of fishing I do, I think I will stick with my Pungo for now but I am always looking for a deal, my buddy is all about the Tarpon now and has his Tsunami 140 up for sale now. So whatever you choose you will have fun in both.

Good comparison of the two. Do you think the Pungo is faster in a straight line?

Sit-On-Tops are a good choice when dealing with rough conditions. Self bailing and if you do get dumped it is easier to get back onboard (self-rescue) on a SOT. One thing I do (if I need to pull a bunch of stuff out of my crate back in the tankwell) is to sit "side-saddle" with both legs hanging over one side.
    Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

The Tarpon is a good boat. The Pungo is also good. I prefer a shorter boat for the Potomac, and the Susky. I have a Pamlico 100. I don;t think the difference in hull shape between those two requires you to switch up. They are too similar IMO.

I had the Tarpon 120 and I only had two beefs. First, it had a really wet ride. Even in calm water. Second was weight. It weighed a ton, and I had a ot of trouble hoisting onto my racks on my SUV.

My solution was to get a Hurrican Skimmer. It is shaped and sized similar to the Tarpon, but weighs about 25 lbs. less.

I also like to fish side saddle. Makes getting stuff out of your crate a breeze.
      Hurricane Skimmer 128
      WS Pamlico 100

Comment

I do think the Pungo is faster, maybe because I have more experience in it, but the Tarpon cut the water very well and held a good line. The Tarpon is heavier than the Pungo.

Comment

I have both, love them both...but for different reasons. The Pungo...better for day trips/exploring/river runs w/ rapids. Less worry about sunburned legs/feet. You also stay more dry in choppy conditions. But I definitely feel safer in deeper/choppier waters on the Tarpon.. being it's a SOT. The Tarpon has more instantly accesable storage, all the advantages of the slide trax system...and you have the option of a rudder system...which I did install and absolutely love. It is heavier, but I can handle it alone by the mid mounted handles quite easily. Having a PU truck helps alot as well. I could see it being a bear to put on a rooftop carrier.

There's more to my kayak experiences than just fishing...so it's nice to have the best of both worlds.

My only real complaint (and it's rarely an issue) about the Tarpon is the lack of access to the scupper plugs under the seat. If you do take on some water....it definitely sucks that the only place it won't drain is right where your ass is planted. (has anyone w/ a Tarpon ever unscrewed the seat....removed the plugs....and had any wet seat issued from water coming through the scuppers? I'm 6'4"/230 lbs...and when I go out fully loaded w/ gear...(or beer! , I usually have about an inch or so of water hovering over the scupper holes already. I wish they would have just molded the boat so the seat mounts directly to a raised section of the body instead of having a sort of mini well under the seat that traps water.
          Last edited by Midnight Toker; 05-03-2014, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X