HOBIE TRAX 2 Removal question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOBIE TRAX 2 Removal question

Just picked up a PA 14 from BYB this week and love the new ride. Third kayak in three years so I might have a problem. When purchasing the yak the only wheels he had in stock were the TRAX 2 cart with the larger inflatable tires. It's a great cart that makes the PA easy to move around on all terrain. The issue I have is when returning to the ramp the wheels are impossible to put back in the scupper holes while the yak is in the water by myself due to the buoyancy of the tires and the weight of the yak. Luckily I had a buddy with me to assist but I'm wondering what I can do when I'm by myself. I have you tubed and I see people rolling the yak on its side and inserting the wheels but I'm not crazy about rolling it over on concrete plus having to take stuff off so it doesn't fall out. Enough whining from me. If anyone has any tips or tricks it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Brian
    Last edited by B yakin; 05-16-2014, 06:55 PM.
    Malibu Stealth 12 SOT

2014 HOBIE PA 14

The cart should fit in the rear carry handle on the PA.
    Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

I am also wondering about this. I generally take out things that can fall out and just roll it to the side on land (not concrete).
      Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

I probably described the issue I'm having incorrectly. It's when I want to take the yak out of the water back to my vehicle I'm trying to insert the cart into the scupper holes underneath the yak so I can then drag it out of the water. The buoyancy of the wheels makes it tough because the wheels won't submerge themselves in the water. Sorry about that.
        Malibu Stealth 12 SOT

2014 HOBIE PA 14

Comment

Now I see what you're saying pinch. Thanks I'll give that a try.
          Malibu Stealth 12 SOT

2014 HOBIE PA 14

Comment

I've started keeping a piece of 4x4 with me. I drag the boat up on dry land, lift the back end, and prop it up with the 4x4. Then I can pop the wheels in and drop it back down.
            LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
            Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

My friend w/ a Trax 2 is a big dude...and has no problem once he sets anything weighty from the back of the yak on dry ground..(and then right back on top once the wheels are in place) He said the key is dragging the yak to the point the rear scuppers are right at the waters edge. Then getting your feet wet and humping that beast up to put the cart in the holes. He seems to do it with ease every time...but like I said...he's like 6'5" 245lbs of muscle. Some of these Hobies (and others)are getting borderline beyond Kayak classification IMO....if you can't carry your yak over your head by yourself.. I get it all...and am all for it...but it still seems weird to me to call a moterless bass boat a kayak.

Comment

Originally posted by B yakin View Post
                Now I see what you're saying pinch. Thanks I'll give that a try.
                Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Go to harbor freight, Lowes or any place that sells wheels and get a set that doesn't float and fits the axle shaft diameter . Look for solid Heavy duty wheels like on a lawn mower. Then you can easily change them to what's needed for a hard surface or soft sand. Just make sure they can't rub the bottom of the Kayak with a full load on it.
                  Hobie wants $40.00 for a Hd replacement wheel or $162.00 for the HD cart.

Maybe you can trade / Exchange yours in when the HD carts come it

Comment

Working...
                  X