Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations for first broadcasting rod and reel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for first broadcasting rod and reel.

I know this topic has been discussed before, but I'm looking for more current suggestions.

I want a baitcasting rod and reel combo that is going to be versatile and will work as well on the bay catching strippers as it performs on the ponds catching bass. Not too expensive but still a quality reel. I know AbuGarcia's Ambassadeur line has good reviews as do Revo and Penn. There are just so many configurations and choices it makes purchasing somewhat daunting.

I currently own spinning rods from ultra-light up through surf rod heavy stuff, so I have a light and heavy alternate rigs if needed.

What's the latest and greatest for the beginning baitcaster?

Thanks,
    Don Haller
    Chesapeake Beach, MD
    Don Haller
    Chesapeake Beach, MD
    Blaze Orange, Jackson Kayak "Cuda 14"

“There can’t be good living, where there is not good drinking.”
    – Benjamin Franklin

Baitcasting not broadcasting. Damn auto-spelling

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
    Don Haller
    Chesapeake Beach, MD

– Benjamin Franklin

Comment

What are you going to use it for? Baitcasting reels aren't very good for actual casting. They are good for trolling and great for keeping the line from twisting.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
        What are you going to use it for? Baitcasting reels aren't very good for actual casting. They are good for trolling and great for keeping the line from twisting.
        Baitcasting are great for casting once you get over the curve of bird nesting. I think you are thinking of conventional type reels. I've seen those referred to as Baitcasting quite often.

As for a response to the OP, I bought a couple of abu Garcia silvermax reels and put them on bass pro graphite series rods on a budget to start trolling. They ended up 90 each. The rods are surprisingly good for the cost. The reels are good enough to start with I guess but definitely one of those " you get what you pay for" deals. The combo with 30lb braid handled a 36" striper with ease so far.
        Last edited by mweber02; 05-21-2014, 07:36 AM.
        Mike

Comment

Don,

I use all three types of reels in the Bay -- bait, spinning and fly.

Bait casters are great for trolling and for launching lures a long way via casting. I can throw a bait caster much farther than a spinning reel and also farther than a fly rod, of course. Also, I can control the length of cast with a bait caster much more than with a spinning reel by keeping my thumb on the spool as the line reels out. That way I can drop a lure near a dock or the rip rap without overshooting the target.

The only caveat I would make is that I typically work 1/2 oz. to 3/4 oz. lures with the bait casters and for lighter lures I use spinning tackle. I cannot throw light lures with a bait caster as well.

I use left-hand retrieve Shimano Curado reels with medium action St. Croix and Allstar rods. One rod is 7 feet and one is 6.5 feet.

Bait casters have improved dramatically in recent years with magnetic controls to reduce backlash. It still requires some skill to master but it's not overwhelming.

If I was taking only one rod on the Bay for a day, it would be a bait caster.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

So, a few things come up in regard to my baitcasting experience:

1) I've not been throwing heavy enough projectiles, my typical lure maxes out at 1/2 oz, my favorites are 3/8 oz.

2) My baitcasting reels are almost 20 years old; yes, they are baitcasters, not round "conventional" level wind.

3) I gotta get my hands on one of these newfangled reels with magnetic smarts.
            Hobie fleet:
            2017 Quest 13
            2015 Outback
            2014 Outback

Comment

A good baitcaster can handle 3/8 ounce lures no problem - really.

Comment

Originally posted by Skidsteer View Post
                A good baitcaster can handle 3/8 ounce lures no problem - really.
                I can launch a 3/8 oz hard bait 100 feet without much effort and have it land within a couple feet of where I'm aiming every time....I don't think I could cast a 3/8 oz lure that far with a baitcasting reel with all the effort I could muster. These new reels must be magic if they can get close.
                Hobie fleet:
                2017 Quest 13
                2015 Outback
                2014 Outback

Comment

Cowpokey,

They can and line twist is generally not a factor which is another plus.

But in all honesty, 100 foot casts are not necessary in most of my kayak fishing applications.

One of the benefits of a kayak is its stealth.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Comment

Now I'm curious. Floating rattle trap is 1/3 ounce - slightly less than 3/8 ounce. I know it will cast well, just not sure how far. I'll try it out and get back to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                      Cowpokey,

They can and line twist is generally not a factor which is another plus.

But in all honesty, 100 foot casts are not necessary in most of my kayak fishing applications.

One of the benefits of a kayak is its stealth.
                      I rarely cast more than 25' fishing from the kayak, just thowing* out my thoughts/experience on casting vs spinning. I can cast a 6 wt fly rod a hundred feet too, but that hasn't EVER been needed for the catching I do.

*pun intended
                      Last edited by Cowpokey; 05-21-2014, 10:17 AM. Reason: Had an extra "my" in there...
                      Hobie fleet:
                      2017 Quest 13
                      2015 Outback
                      2014 Outback

Comment

I fish for largemouth/smallmouth bass 95% of the time (and I use a baitcasting combo 95% of the time). Currently my favorite combo is a Abu Garcia Revo S (goes for about $ 129.00) with an Abu Garcia 6'6" Vendetta Rod (goes for about $ 80.00). I have used the same combo to catch stripers.

I prefer a shorter rod (6'6") as I do a lot of fishing on the tidal potomac for largemouth. Fishing there is all about making accurate presentations in cover and tight situations. A longer rod would be a hindrance there. If you are fishing for stripers in open water situations a longer rod would be an asset. How much you need to spend on a rod really depends on the sensitivity you require. If you will be trolling with the rod in a rod holder, you just need a rod that can stand up to the abuse (not much sensitivity required). If you are dragging a 1/4 ounce jig on the bottom in 25 feet of water you will want a lot of graphite (sensitivity) in that rod. Rod examples:

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Abu_G...age-AGVDN.html

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Daiwa...page-DLCS.html

As for baitcasting reels I have found that once you get up into the $ 129.00 range you get a reel that will last for years as long as you maintain them (clean, oil and lube). Less expensive reels will hold up for a season or two but they will develop a grinding in the gears and casting distance will decrease. Reel examples:

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Abu_G...cpage-RVS.html

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Lews_...page-LTMG.html

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Shima...age-SCI20.html

All that being said, if you have never used a baitcasting reel before you can do what I did way back in 1980. Purchase and inexpensive rod and reel and find out if it is for you. The reel will hold up while you perfect your casting and presentation. As an example:

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Abu_G...page-BXMX.html

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Abu_G...page-ANVC.html

Good luck!
                        Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Dave,

That's a good informative post.

The only thing I would add for Don's benefit is a discussion on gear ratios.

http://www.bassfishingandcatching.co...ear-ratio.html
                          Mark
                          Pasadena, MD

Comment

Lots of great input here. Thanks.
                            Another stupid question. I'm right handed. I think I understand that I need a reel with the crank on the left... Is this correct?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
                            Don Haller
                            Chesapeake Beach, MD

– Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Nope.

It's up to you.

I cast right-handed and all my reel types are left-hand crank.

I prefer it that way so I do not have to shift the rod to my left hand while cranking.

Others who cast right-handed may prefer to crank to the reel with their right hand. So they will shift the rod to their left hand when it's time to reel.

It's personal preference. No advantages either way that I can see.
                              Mark
                              Pasadena, MD

Comment

Working...
                              X