For those considering adding a motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those considering adding a motor

I just wanted to give some advice relating to the choice of a trolling motor. This year I added a MK Endura Max 40 to my Ocean Kayak. Prior to this I had a Endura 30 which did not have a maximizer circuit. The difference is pretty amazing. Yesterday I was out on the water for about three hours and came home with a battery reading 12.8 volts. When I was trolling I was at 2 MPH and when I was cruising I was at 3 MPH which is about 60% power. This is with a Universal 50AH battery which is only about 38#. Quite frankly, if you paddle some of the time, you can probably get by with a 35 AH battery which is even lighter.

Getting the motor with the maximizer does extend your battery life - a lot! There is a weight penalty as the 40# is 7 pounds heavier than the 30# motor. Another advantage is that the 40# has extra power for when the wind is blowing hard and the current is against you. Additionally, if you choose to paddle with the engine running, you can add .4 or .5 mph to your speed.

Just so you know, I got skunked on trolling and casting for Perch. It was such a beautiful day, I knew something had to go wrong.

Regards,

John
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

john kool info on the motors... not much wrong with being on the water....still at work here... hook em next time...!!

Comment

Thanks for the review John. I'm debating using the mk 30 I already have or moving up to the 40 for the variable speed. I think the pro angler might need the extra power.
      2013 PRO ANGLER 12
      2013 Cuda 12

Comment

If you have a PA, you won't have any issue with the extra weight of the 40# motor. The best part of the MAX series is the longer time you get out of the battery.

John
        John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

The weight of the boat and placement of the motor play a huge role in how long your battery will last. I' ve got a Minn Kotta 30# motor on a 10 ft kayak mounted directly in the back . Top speed with no wind 4.8 MPH. I am not sure exactly how long the battery will last , but it is definitely over 8 hrs.

Comment

Originally posted by Kolehoznïk View Post
            The weight of the boat and placement of the motor play a huge role in how long your battery will last. I' ve got a Minn Kotta 30# motor on a 10 ft kayak mounted directly in the back . Top speed with no wind 4.8 MPH. I am not sure exactly how long the battery will last , but it is definitely over 8 hrs.
            Ah, but what size is your battery? With a Max motor, a 50 ah battery will give you similar endurance of a 100 ah.

Regards,

John
            John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Originally posted by Kolehoznïk View Post
              At 4.8 mph for 8 hours, I would think you'd need a fork lift battery in that thing.
              2013 PRO ANGLER 12
              2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Working...
              X