Drag Chain/Anchor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drag Chain/Anchor

Today I decided I would build my drag chain/anchor. I went to the local Home Depot and bought three, three and a half foot sections of chain. I got the chain that has an orange coating on it because I think this will help with rust. I also bought a stainless steel shackle to attach the chain too. The good thing was that I got the chain for free because there were no was nobody checking out and I had to use the self checkout.

Its not what you think, I didn't steal the chain. They manager running the self checkout area inquired as to if I had a chain cut sheet, to which I replied "no" the guy that cut it, just cut it and gave it to me. The manager told me to just take the chain and dont worry about paying for it. I guess they were too lazy to go back there and make the sheet.

I then went to Petco and bought a XS flexi leash, they have a new reflective color with a neon green string. I also went by the Bike Doctor and got a used mountain bike tube that they were gonna throw away. Came home and put it all together. I slipped the chain through the inner tube and the zip tied it at the top and bottom of the tube. I repeated this 2 more times. I guess the inner tube it to prevent the chain links from from snagging anything on the bottom. It all came together nicely. The only worry that I have is that the flexi leash is on 18 feet long, so this will not be a big water solution. I will probably still use the chains, but have to come up with a longer rope solution.

I am going to add pictures in a second.

20140619_192622.jpg20140619_192641.jpg20140619_192657.jpg

Comment

nice... probably alot safer then a hook type anchor. i would be interested in how it performs for you. i like the idea even if it slows the drift enuff to spend additional time over your target zone. let us know how it works out... might be buyin some chain link soon over here

Comment

Nice work - is the Flexi leash strong enough to recoil the chain?

Comment

It needs a little assistance. Maybe if I had one or two on there it would do it on its own. I'll give it a try tonight and let you know

Comment

Rivers and lakes Im using a 3lbs dumbbell , it works great and a quick release cleat so i could let go of the achor when i need to.

Comment

Been using a chain since I lost my collapsible anchor to the bottom monster and Kevin recommended it. I was using a PVC pipe with pool noodle floats. Found these extension cord holders that I never used for Xmas lights. Voila. They are getting used now. 100 feet of line fits well.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
              [IMG][/IMG]

Chain hangs on it too for easy transport.
              Hobie Outback
              Stand Up Paddle Board
              Pelican 100

Comment

YakinK9
                As long as it works for you thats fine and you can disengage the anchor in no time. This set up works for me.

Comment

I like both those set ups. I think I need to get a float for mine

Comment

I just use 3' of heavy chain with 50' of 3/8 poly rope with a piece of pool noodle on the end. Works well when currents not running hard in places like Lewes where the current is swift it doesn't slow the yak enough for a good drift. Probably another chain added would work there.

Comment

I'm picking up a 12" section of 5/8" anchor chain from West Marine to make a drag chain today. A 12" piece should weigh just under 4 lbs. I'm floating part of the Doah tomorrow. Hopefully it works well.

Comment

The huge chunk of chain I got from West Marine works great. I tied a piece of paracord to it but haven't found a tube to wrap it with. The paracord is great because it floats. The chain works either to completely stop me or to slow me down depending on how much line I put out. I've done three floats with it on various parts of the Doah and have't been able to get it stuck yet. Using it with an anchor trolley allows me to easily anchor up or down stream. Adjusting the trolley and amount of line allows me to ferry and adjust the position of the kayak easily. One of the best accessories I've found for river trips.

Comment

Im really interested in doing this for my Big Rig...my boat sits so high that sometimes its actually a sail in the wind. I'd love to slow that down w/o getting a power pole.

I like the drag chain better than Anchor.

Comment

I have a grappling anchor and a barbell. There barbell is OK for light winds and current. It doesn;t hold bottom very well though unless it wedges in rocks. I like the hook style, but if there is strong currnent it can pull you under if you aren't careful.

There are times in between when a drag chain would be a really good alternative.
                            Hurricane Skimmer 128
                            WS Pamlico 100

Comment

here is my drag anchor setup. Got a lot of ideas from this site.photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpg
                              Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                              Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Working...
                              X