Hobie turbo fin upgrade problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobie turbo fin upgrade problem

I'm trying to remove the masts from my V2 mirage drive to install turbos but I can't get these things out! There is no cotter pin or set screw that I can see holding them in and they look like they go into brass fittings. When I grab the flat part at the end of the mast with vice grips and twist the whole brass fitting twists with the mast... How do I get these things out?!?
    Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

I don't think the brass fitting should twist with the mast, so I think they are stripped. You may have to replace the part with the threaded insert. I did this once when I upgraded from V1 to V2. It shouldn't cost too much to do so...under $20 probably. The Hobie catalog has all the part numbers for the replacement parts. I think I ordered mine through ACK.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Comment

Thanks for the response but I was afraid you'd say that. I guess I should figure out how to take the rest of it apart and get those fittings out. Here goes nothing

My YouTube Channel

Comment

So I need two of these guys?

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...-Sprocket.html

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by Romo View Post
          Yup, those are the ones. They're pretty simple to replace. Just make sure you line the chain up the same way you took it off. All the parts on the mirage drive are pretty easy to fix.

Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

As long as you plan on replacing them, you could try and drill through the plastic and into the brass, inserting a set screw to keep the bushing from rotating. You could then epoxy the set screw in place forever after. If it doesn't work, then go ahead and order the new set.

Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Great idea! I already ordered the new sprockets but maybe I can repurpose my old ones and keep them on the boat as a spare

My YouTube Channel

Comment

When I replaced the stock fins with the turbos three years ago, I used locktite to secure it in. I didn't torque it too tight. After three years using my turbos, with no loosening problems, the front mast broke off near the brass fitting from all that bending and re-bending. I removed the broken piece inside the brass fitting with little problem. I applied WD40, slotted the mast with a dremel, and screwed the piece out with vise-gripped and screwdriver. My new mast came with locktite, and I used it again.
                Attached Files
                2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

So how'd you get that broken mast stub out? what do you mean slotted the mast? I have a dremel but no working drill currently so I'm trying to figure out how to preserve my original sprockets and keep them as a backup. I sat down to do this last night and didn't wanna remove the cables/chains without knowing how to put them back on and adjust them. Is it possible to replace the sprockets without removing the chains?

My YouTube Channel

Comment

I used a 1" dia thin disk on the dremel. Disk is used to cut metal. Disk grinds a slot on the stub sticking out. Looks like a slot just like a slot/groove on any screw head. I used a screwdriver with a square shaft. The vise grip clamped on the square shaft to give me torque to screw out the stub.

You may be able to save the sprocket by applying JB weld or epoxy to secure it. Of course, do this after you remove the mast. I would try that. In fact, if the glue holds well, you don't need new sprockets. I bet that's what Hobie did (or maybe press fit?); used glue to bind brass and hard rubber together.

Clean the rubber and brass well. Use solvent or rubbing alcohol or something to cut grease, oil, whatever. Score or roughen the brass and inside sprocket.
                    Last edited by tufnik; 07-01-2014, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                      When I replaced the stock fins with the turbos three years ago, I used locktite to secure it in. I didn't torque it too tight. After three years using my turbos, with no loosening problems, the front mast broke off near the brass fitting from all that bending and re-bending. I removed the broken piece inside the brass fitting with little problem. I applied WD40, slotted the mast with a dremel, and screwed the piece out with vise-gripped and screwdriver. My new mast came with locktite, and I used it again.
                      Nice classic fatigue striations on that post. Mine failed similarly, which sucks because it can happen at any time.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                      Torqeedo Pro Staff
                      Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
                        Nice classic fatigue striations on that post. Mine failed similarly, which sucks because it can happen at any time.
                        Here's my story on when mine failed.

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...HSP-10-May-Sat

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                          Here's my story on when mine failed.

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...HSP-10-May-Sat
                          Thanks for reposting. Nice tog.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                          Torqeedo Pro Staff
                          Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Thanks for the response and yea that looked like a nice day of fishing you had there

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Working...
                            X