X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some rigging on the Vike

http://flyfisheat.tumblr.com/post/90...ing-the-reload
    <insert witty comment here>

Nice write up and nice kayak. How does it paddle? Wondering if you can stand in it. And how are those gear head mounts working out? I have my fishfinder mounted on one and a small baitcaster style rodholder on another, but they just seem too wobbly to be used with my powerlocks or rocket launcher tubes when I'm trolling (even with backing plates).

I stopped tethering any rods and just use the rod floats, since a lot places I fish would make it really sketchy getting back in the yak with a bunch of stuff tied to it. I tether my tackle bag and soft cooler to the yak (and some small stuff to my pfd) but everything else I carry has its own flotation.

Comment

Interesting that the flush side mounts come standard, but not installed. I don't use tethers for my rods either, but do have floatation on them. I picked up pipe insulation at Home Depot, and zip tied on 8 inch sections to each. Total cost $2 for enough "floats" to do 9 rods.

Your rigging is very clean; you must be a perfectionist too.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

JohnE, Thanks. The kayak paddles really well...so much so that I wish I would have not purchased the rudder. I've paddle with the rudder up (out of the water) and was impressed with the tracking. The rudder authority is lacking, so it really doesn't turn the yak how I'm accustomed to, but it does well for current correction over long distances. The gear heads are working well thus far, but I honestly haven't caught any fish while trolling that really put them to the test. If they turn out to not be strong/strudy enough, I will install flush mount bases on the Tackle Pod, and use the gear trac for my fish finder.

This is my first time tethering rods. After losing gear over the previous couple of years, I did begin to add floats to my rods. Since these rod holders are non-locking, I decided to give tethering a try. Luckily if I don't like them, they are easily removable. I did like the retractable cord...as I am not a fan of dangling cords or coils.

Comment

Those T-Reign retractors look interesting. I started researching them a little bit to see if I might want to try them out. Where did you find the strength ratings for the cord/connectors?

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

I like the T-Reigh as a rod lease ides. Very clean. I may steal that one from you. You may need it when a bigger fish hits the left rod and spins the scotty base counter clockwise. I just sent two Yak Attack screwballs back because there wasn't a way to keep it from rotating on the Gear Trac.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
            Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
            2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by reel-em-in View Post
              Those T-Reign retractors look interesting. I started researching them a little bit to see if I might want to try them out. Where did you find the strength ratings for the cord/connectors?
              I emailed YakAttack. They contacted the manufacturers and got back to me with the info.

RavensDefense,

That was mentioned as a concern to me as well...the whole scenario of a fish taking it and spinning it. Honestly, I have yet to catch a fish that could do that. I will cross that bridge if/when ever I get to it. Time will tell though...

Comment

Very nicely written bro! I'm liking the idea of living vicariously through you and rigging your kayak!

I really like the idea of the T-Reign retractor tethers as well. I'll look into those...
                -Mustafa
                ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                2016 Hobie Outback
                2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Working...
                X