Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Securing a battery in a powered kayak

Hey all,

Finally, after having this thing for 2 or 3 years, I'm finally getting around to rigging it for fishing. Work and family stuff has really not given me adequate time to do much other than take care of the property.

A couple years ago I purchased a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140, with a Bassyaks trolling motor setup on it.

Plans are to get this thing operational for late summer/early fall. There seems to be all sorts of information on how to rig a yak for fishing with crates, carts, anchor trolleys etc., but I am having a lot of difficulty finding any information on securing a heavy AGM type battery in the forward compartment of the yak. Future plans are to get a lighter weight battery setup as I have seen on this site, but for now I have to use what I have. The kayak is already wired to be in the fwd compartment, so I really don't want to stray from that location.

Having had 3 boats in the past, it was an easy thing just to drill holes and put in straps to secure a battery. I am not sure how to proceed with a kayak.

Has anyone here done something similar?

Thanks for any info you can share.

Not sure on the dementions your working with, but I put mind inside a waterproof case similar to this: http://palmettokayakfishing.blogspot...-ride-135.html

Then used cargo straps to secure it between the scupper holes inside the front compartment. I will try to remember to take a picture today.

Comment

He is looking to secure a large battery that powers his trolling motor. I'm not sure what you have near the front hatch to secure it to, sorry......Jack

Comment

I don't think to many people want to put that much weight in the front so you will probably have a hard finding info. Not to mention trying find info on a specific kayak. Your probably best just putting it in a battery box and seeing what you can come up with.

If the box fits the opening maybe add some foam or pool noodles around it to give it a tight fit so its not moving around. Just a suggestion.
        2013 PRO ANGLER 12
        2013 Cuda 12

Comment

I have seen one OC Trident where the guy used pool noodles, plastic wrap and expanding foam to make a tight fitting container for the battery. There wasn't any room left for anything else but the battery was secure. He painted the foam with enamel so that the foam would not absorb moisture. It looked to be well thought out.

I saw this in Florida when on vacation when I was thinking of getting a Bassyaks set up. As it is, using a smaller battery with my side mount worked out fine for me.

John
          John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
          MK Endura Max 55 backup power
          Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

I have used a big game prowler with a 31 series battery in the bow. It really makes the bow heavy. Prepare yourself to dive into chop and boat wake. On the big game, I used two 31 series AGM batteries, one behind the seat and one in the bow. I also used a 55lb thrust BassYak on that rig. Overall, it was a good system, with some modifications. I could troll for six hours continuously. I didn't have any special mount for the bow battery. I would just set it on some foam, so as to not damage the kayak. It would not move, at all.

Good luck.

Comment

I have a Native Ultimate with a bassyak setup with a large (forget the series) agm battery. The Ultimate is a hybrid yak - it's not a sot or a sink - more like a canoe. Anyway I just take a rag and wet it, put the battery on top - it sits up front. Never had a problem. The rag keeps it from sliding around.

Comment

My batteries get stored in the bow hatch in my Torque. Although they are much smaller and lighter than traditional marine batteries, they are just fine unsecured in the bow hatch. Realistically, if the water it rough enough to toss a heavy battery around, are you going to be out there fishing? Nah.

I've been in 3' waves/chop...which is relatively rough. The 20lb battery stays put. Even my small 7ah fish finder battery stays put.
                <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
                  My batteries get stored in the bow hatch in my Torque. Although they are much smaller and lighter than traditional marine batteries, they are just fine unsecured in the bow hatch. Realistically, if the water it rough enough to toss a heavy battery around, are you going to be out there fishing? Nah.

I've been in 3' waves/chop...which is relatively rough. The 20lb battery stays put. Even my small 7ah fish finder battery stays put.
                  I was more concerned what would happen if the kayak flipped. Would a heavy, unsecured battery make it more difficult to flip back over?

Your battery setup thread is what I am shooting for once I get some time on the water. It weighs about a third of what I have right now.

I don't really see myself in 3 foot chop, at least not until I have a lot more experience on the water.

Comment

I flipped with the battery in the bow hatch. Righting the kayak was the easiest portion of that whole ordeal. The battery just flipped back into place on the floor of the hull. The kayak is only but so wide, so most of the mass stays pretty close to the centerline of the kayak. I pushed up on the side near me, and reached under to pull the opposite side toward me. I even had a rod secured in a rod holder. Flipping it back over was not difficult in the least bit.
                    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Working...
                    X