Putting a new prop on my MN Enduramax 40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting a new prop on my MN Enduramax 40

I decided to try the 3 blade Motorguide Machete prop on my OC Trident more for having a better low speed performance and a more effective reverse.

While my experience will be purely subjective, I will post after I get some experience with it to let the group know how it works out.

With luck, I may get out at Jonas Green this Sunday morning.

Regards,

John
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Ok, step 1 is finished. I just put the prop on.

It is not a slam dunk though. The shear pin slot is deeper than the stock prop which will allow the inner prop hub to contact the motor shaft bearing if you don't shim the slots. I did this by cutting an unused shear pin to fit the slots and they epoxying them in place. Now the prop does not drag and vibrates less than the OEM two bladed props. I have tried three of the 2 blade MK props and never could get them to run with out vibration at some rpm. I even tried balancing them but I gave up. The Machete does not seem to have any vibration, at least out of water. If the weather holds, I will launch at JG on Sunday morning.

John
    John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

You may also want to take a look at a Kipawa prop. I tried on of these a few years ago. It made a difference.

http://www.kipawapropellers.com/propellers.html

Comment

I went with the Machete instead of the Kipawa because I read too many reports of vibration with the Kipawa. I also read a couple of "scientific tests" of the three blade props vs the MK and the Machete came out better. Not by much, mind you but it was still ahead. Additionally, the Machette is available almost anywhere.

John
        John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Finally got out today with the new prop. Didn't catch any fish but I did give the Machete III prop a workout.

The good: The prop has more torque at low end so you more bite at slower speeds.
          The reverse is fantastic and comes in like right now. The original prop has poor reverse performance but the Machete put the way on almost immediately. This is probably more important for side mounted motors than with the Bassyak type set up.
          I did not notice any appreciable difference in power usage from the standard prop.

The not so good. I never did get the .5 extra at top end that some folks said they got. At 75% I am doing 4.2 MPH GPS vs 4.8 at 100%. 50% gets me 3MPH.

Additionally, I have a 40 AMP circuit breaker on my motor and I was not able to pop it even with quick starts from 0 to 100%. This is with a 40# motor, not the standard 30#. It is also much smoother than the OEM prop. I even tried to balance the 2 blade props but could never get the vibration out.

Regards,

John
          John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Working...
          X