Am I getting old or just lazy.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I getting old or just lazy.....

Finally put my Minn Kota Eduramax 40 on my kayak, used a Island Hopper motor mount and have a marine battery for power, I plan to take it to the M&G to test it out. I figure, if I'm going to do something stupid, might as well have an audience.

image.jpg
    Mark Harrison

Hobie Outback - Yellow

Are you right or left handed? If I was casting with my right hand I wouldn't want it on the right side. I'm pretty much ambidextrous, but cast more often with the rod in my right hand....which is why my fish finder is on the left.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Good thought, I'm mostly right handed. I was thinking it wouldn't matter since I have a rudder and would be steering with my feet. Guess I'll bring a few tools to switch it to the other side if I need to
      Mark Harrison

Hobie Outback - Yellow

Comment

Ran on the motor for 4 hours at the M&G Saturday, worked great, next test will be to take it out to the bay bridge.
        Mark Harrison

Hobie Outback - Yellow

Comment

I don't remember seeing your kayak, how was it with it on that side? Any elbow bumping?
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

I was at the back of the pack, MOC posted a picture where I was carrying the motor around the back of the kayak. No elbow bumping, the motor sat far enough back that it didn't bother me at all. Learning to steer was something else, the kayak seem to push to the left, which makes sense given the offset of the motor, so I learned to compensate. The only scare was full speed setting on the motor, it torqued the kayak and I wasn't ready for that, but after I learned to lean left, it was fine.
            Mark Harrison

Hobie Outback - Yellow

Comment

Having it on the side will definitely make it want to "crab". You could turn the motor a little to compensate. Next time you take it on the water; set your rudder straight, and adjust the motor so tracks in correctly.

As for it making you lean, that should be able to be dealt with by adjusting the "trim" up or down.

Once you get the angles of propulsion figured out it should minimize the issues. It won't be at premium efficiency, because it's on the side. The only way you can fix that is with another motor on the other side.
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

Thank you. I'll have to keep the 2nd motor under advisement, maybe I could mount a 3rd engine in the back too.
                Mark Harrison

Hobie Outback - Yellow

Comment

Originally posted by fishinggeek View Post
                  thank you. I'll have to keep the 2nd motor under advisement, maybe i could mount a 3rd engine in the back too. :d
                  lol
                  Hobie fleet:
                  2017 Quest 13
                  2015 Outback
                  2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by FishingGeek View Post
                    Thank you. I'll have to keep the 2nd motor under advisement, maybe I could mount a 3rd engine in the back too.
                    ........and the 3 batteries in the back keeping the bow up

Comment

Working...
                    X