No announcement yet.

Another rookie question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use the rod floats from Bass Pro Shops and they have saved my rods many times. They are very inexpensive and have paid for themselves many times over.

Comment

Has anyone used a rod float on a fly rod?
      Tarpon 120, no electronics, no pedals.
      Tarpon 100, the karma boat.

Comment

If leashes are what you're interested in you should check out the ones from Yakleash. It's what I use and I am on their new product test team. All there products are made from recycled materials. The leashes for example are made from old cell phone car chargers. They work great. They also have a lot of other products for sale for kayak fishing and other uses. As far as the fly rod goes I'm not sure. I don't fly fish but I'm sure there is some way to secure them.
        Yellow Pompano 120

Comment

I use a rod float on my fly rods.

I tested them to make sure they float the rods. They do.

The float does not inhibit casting at all.

I have Scotty fly rod holders. A rubber tension strap locks the rod in place. Even so I put a leash on my rod as a secondary precaution. I take the leash off when I am using the fly rod.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Rod floats are slightly annoying but it is better than losing your rods or getting all tangled up in several rods when you turtle, especially when your rods may have treble hooks on them. I turtled my tarpon out at cbbt recently and all 3 rods I had with me were recovered just using the rod floaters. I keep them on all my rods, never tether anymore. Barbed fishing hooks are no fun when they end up deep in your flesh.

Comment

Originally posted by Cody View Post
              If leashes are what you're interested in you should check out the ones from Yakleash. It's what I use and I am on their new product test team. All there products are made from recycled materials. The leashes for example are made from old cell phone car chargers. They work great. They also have a lot of other products for sale for kayak fishing and other uses. As far as the fly rod goes I'm not sure. I don't fly fish but I'm sure there is some way to secure them.

There's nothing like that sinking feeling when you see an expensive rod sinking into the deep!!

It's funny, after losing a couple of rods overboard (very easy to do) I make it a point to always tie down my rods. I started w/ crab line, but found that old coiled phone or charger wires lying around the house work great, or you can order them from yak leash.

Comment

Yep. Lost a couple rods myself in the Shenandoah river after hitting rapids at an odd angle. Won't do that again and now all my rods stay leashed down.

Pompano 120
                Yellow Pompano 120

Comment

Working...
                X