Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone recommend a light system for my kayak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone recommend a light system for my kayak?

Third trip in my Tarpon 120 was a success. I fished the Key Bridge pilings after putting in at Fort Armistead Park. I really got into the white perch. A few small stripers spiced things up. The problem was I had a hard time leaving the fish. By the time I got back to the launch I am pretty sure I was bending the rules about having lights. Not looking to put on something permanent. I was hoping to have a set that I can clamp on that are battery powered. I am sure it would be safer to have them. I was wondering what you guys have and who likes what.
    Tarpon 120, no electronics, no pedals.
    Tarpon 100, the karma boat.

All I use is a headlamp but I also generally avoid anywhere with late night boat traffic. I think yakattack makes a 360 degree white light you can stick on your stern and there are several articles out there about how to make your own ghetto rig with some pvc pipe and a cheapo flashlight.
    Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

I have tried a few over the years, including a couple home made setups. I now have the visicarbon pro. Highly recommend just getting the visicarbon or visipole and not bothering with anything else. The price seems a little steep at first, but the visicarbon really is worth every penny. I just wish they made a taller and brighter version. You definitely need some type of lighting to be out at night, especially in areas with a lot of boat traffic. At least take a head lamp with you until you get something better. That will work, but it is not 360 degrees visible.

Comment

This meets the coast guard requirement: http://www.amazon.com/ACR-3355-C-Lig.../dp/B001DSOO7S

It clips/straps on to stuff or fits into a scotty mount. It's really bright from a parallel view, but not blinding to you when looking into the back of the yak.

In addition to lights, I line my yak and paddles with reflective tape. That's the biggest visibility factor; the reflective tape from yakattack is super bright. That's how I spot kayakers in the dark the easiest, by reflective paddles wailing around: http://www.yakattack.us/category_s/1848.htm

Comment

I fish some pretty sketchy areas at night and need to be very visible. Reflective tape is a great thing also. I had that all over the best diy light pole solution I personally came up with before getting the visicarbon. IMG_0101.jpgIMG_0082.jpgIMG_0070.jpg

Comment

Thanks for the help. I will be getting reflective tape before my next trip. In Maryland I am required to run a red/green bow light as well as a white stern light?

Comment

No, you really do not want red/green just white light.

Comment

What JohnE said^. Red/green are not required. If I see those, I would assume that the craft is motorized and could get out of the way. But a solo white light means its a small craft that might not be able to move as fast. Not that the charter boats pay any attention...

Comment

I think I will get the visicarbon pro. Safety is worth it. Thanks for all of the help. I learn something every time I get on this forum. I assumed that a bow light was required. I read the posts and still had my doubts (ignorance doubts often). I sent a message to my friend who is a Lt. in the DNR. He sent me the actual rules. White light only. Thanks again for all of the help.

Comment

FYI the light on the visipole is made by tek-tite. On their site you can buy the light separately in different LED configurations if the flag is not that important to you. There is another version of that light also sold by paddler's supply.

Comment

Originally posted by smb View Post
                      FYI the light on the visipole is made by tek-tite. On their site you can buy the light separately in different LED configurations if the flag is not that important to you. There is another version of that light also sold by paddler's supply.
                      Forgot to mention that. The picture I posted earlier of my diy light pole has the tektite with 4 led module on it. I think it was about 25 bucks.

Comment

And I am sort of regretting not getting the navisafe 16 led with a railblaza telescopic pole, but it is a little pricey for the pole, the light, the flag, and a mount. That is really the best way to go if price is not an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Romo View Post
                          All I use is a headlamp but I also generally avoid anywhere with late night boat traffic. I think yakattack makes a 360 degree white light you can stick on your stern and there are several articles out there about how to make your own ghetto rig with some pvc pipe and a cheapo flashlight.
                          Depending on your handiness. Making one is pretty easy. A trip to Walmart or any auto store will yield tons of LEDs. The 12 volt LEDS can be ran off of a simple 9 volt as well. You won't have the full illumination, but most are overly bright for what you are looking to use it for. The white LEDs will provide the visibility you need to be seen, but will cast enough light for you to see in your yak as well. I mounted mine to a pvc pole and place it in one of my rod holders.

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...kayak-lighting
                          Hobie Outback
                          Stand Up Paddle Board
                          Pelican 100

Comment

You could also just zip tie and/or duct tape a tektite light to an old or broken fishing rod and stick it one of your rod holders. If you got an old rod...total cost under $30 and less than 5 minutes to slap together.

Comment

Originally posted by Frogsauce View Post
                              This meets the coast guard requirement: http://www.amazon.com/ACR-3355-C-Lig.../dp/B001DSOO7S

It clips/straps on to stuff or fits into a scotty mount. It's really bright from a parallel view, but not blinding to you when looking into the back of the yak.
                              That's the one I bought. The Scotty Sea Light.
                              I chose it because the pole not only holds the light and an orange flag, but it's also a great over-the-shoulder mount for my GoPro.
                              2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                              Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Working...
                              X