Rookie question about keel drag on a Tarpon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rookie question about keel drag on a Tarpon

I have been out four times in my new Tarpon 120. I am hooked. I have a question. I try my hardest not to drag my boat. I pick it up and carry it and put down next to the water. When I come in I get out in the water and pull the boat up on land. I have noticed some drag marks on my keel and I assume this is normal. Just wanted to know if there is any way to minimize this since my OCD is in high gear. Thanks.
    Tarpon 120, no electronics, no pedals.
    Tarpon 100, the karma boat.

My Tarpon does not have a replaceable keel on it like my ride. I am guessing yours does not either? Yet another reason why I do not like that yak very much. That thing is super fast and pretty stable for what it is, but it really has some design shortcomings.

I know the tarpon 140 is really light for me to carry and the 120 should be quite a bit lighter. I don't have much problem carrying mine by the side handle and try to drag it across concrete as little as possible. I don't mind dragging it over sand and don't really need a cart until I hit the concrete.

Comment

Correct. Mine does not have a replaceable keel. I can carry mine but when I get out at a ramp like I do at Ft. Armistead I have to drag it up a little to get it where I can pick it up. It just has some scuff marks on it, nothing deep. I don't even own a cart. Perhaps I need to buy one.

Comment

Just think of them as battle scars... The hull is thick enough to with stand quite a bit of scraping
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
          Just think of them as battle scars... The hull is thick enough to with stand quite a bit of scraping
          Yeah. Mine are all kinds of scraped up from grinding pilings, rocks, and dragging them around. Getting scratches all over your yak is just part of the sport. The good thing about Wildernesss yaks is they are super thick and durable.

Comment

Good to know. Thanks for the info. Wasn't sure how thick the keel was. I am pretty sure I am overreacting as I barely drag it, just checking.

Comment

It is pretty much the biggest wear area and you are right to worry. That is why the ride has one you can replace,..niot sure why the Tarpon does not. However, replacsble keels are also just another place to potentially have a leak. But I would not worry too much unless you fish almost every day and are contantly dragging it around.

Comment

Get the canoe package at the Keeleazy website. Apply the thicker layer first, then double up with the thinner layer. It's an expensive product, but it helps...and usually have to replace in a few years. Also, you could use some thick flashing tape from Home Depot or Lowes and apply it to the areas most likely to receive damage. Eventually the flashing tape will start to remove and cause a small amount of drag, put it's not noticeable. Just replace as needed.
                2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

When I launch from concrete, I use the carry handles to minimize the dragging. But yeah a roughed up keel is normal on a seasoned yak. I don't have much to worry about now that I launch from a beach and just drag through light sand.

Comment

I built up a few layers of Goop on mine for just this reason. It has held up for about a year now and has protected the keel well. Not the prettiest solution but the keel tape didn't work well for me.

Comment

I try to minimize the scuffing and scraping on my Hobie. I have a cart, and it gets used from loading to launch, but still gets some marks and such.

My whitewater boat has been beat up way more, and its integrity is just fine. Speaking of which, I need to get out and run some rapids.... Little Falls anyone?
                      Hobie fleet:
                      2017 Quest 13
                      2015 Outback
                      2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
                      X