Perfect day SH fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perfect day SH fishing

First thing first: No freaking bass, none!!

I didn't plan to go today since it forecast thunderstorm in the evening but after I got out of work, the sun came out. So I just pack quickly and go. I got to the park around 6 and headed to my spot. When I got there, I saw a bass boat already in the creek and another headed toward it. So I change direction to the next shallow creek. It turned out to be the correct course of action. It was slacked tide when I got there but I saw some small school of fish running on top water. I started casting pass it and reel back. After around 10 mins, I got a solid hit. I set the hook and it did not run. I got excited, I knew what is at the end of the line before I even see it. I quickly put it on the stringer so I can target its mate. I started casting around where I caught the first one, within 5 mins I landed its mate. So now I got the second one on stringer. I started paddle away from the spot so I can dispatch them without spooking the other. They shaked violently as I paddle away, and I thought there is no way it can get away. The damn stringer is made if metal. When I was far enough I pulled them out of the water. There is only one SH on the stringer, the other one manage to unhook itself from the stringer. Man, I was mad but I got to move on and catch more!!

So I paddled back to the spot, started fishing again. After a while I got another hit but I set the hook too early. I told myself to calm down, let go of the mistake earlier. So I pressed on, and landed another SH soon afterward. At this time it's almost 8:00 so I called it a day. So in couple hours I got 4 hits, landed 3 SH and not a single bass , I got to love it.

And here is a picture how I hold the SH
    uploadfromtaptalk1408757085572.jpg

The gills are sharp, so do suggest to wear gloves.

uploadfromtaptalk1408757167051.jpg

Nice! I say it every year...this will be the year I'll try for snakehead....but I never pull the trigger. Looks like a blast, but wow, look at all those weeds.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
      Nice! I say it every year...this will be the year I'll try for snakehead....but I never pull the trigger. Looks like a blast, but wow, look at all those weeds.
      Yea by this time, there are a lot of weeds but that where they hang out a lot of time

Comment

BTW, if a moderator see this thread. Can you please move it to Virginia section? I just realized I post in the wrong forum

Comment

Good story, thanks.

Comment

You are the man Khanh! Great report.

I have to show you my stringer to see if it would alleviate the problem of them getting away. Also look into a spear fishing stringer. It's bulky but ain't no way anything is getting away from that...
            http://www.diversdirect.com/scuba-di...FZTm7AodPDoAIw
            -Mustafa
            ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
            2016 Hobie Outback
            2012 Hobie Revolution 13
            "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
              You are the man Khanh! Great report.

I have to show you my stringer to see if it would alleviate the problem of them getting away. Also look into a spear fishing stringer. It's bulky but ain't no way anything is getting away from that...
              http://www.diversdirect.com/scuba-di...FZTm7AodPDoAIw
              I think I might need something like that
              Last edited by Snakehead Hunter; 08-24-2014, 06:56 AM.

Comment

I don't join you for one Friday and you catch 4 SH ? It's either my bad mojo or we have to go when the thunderstorm is coming.
                “As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler.” - Izaak Walton

Comment

Working...
                X