Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBKA Masgouf - Fish Donations Requested

Gents (and ladies),

We are two weekends away from the CBKA Tournament (http://chesapeakebaykayakanglers.com/) and Martin (MOC) has asked me to do another Masgouf demo this year. For that, I need fish! I'm going to try to go out to catch some so I can show how to clean/cut it for the roast.

I need your help in donating your fish in case I'm unsuccessful (which happens ). Any good sized fish will do: Rockfish, Bluefish (the best tasting when cooked this way IMHO), Specks (maybe too precious to donate this year), and Reds. Flounder? Not so much... It's already flat

Those of you who know how to Masgouf already (you know who you are) can help out by bringing the fish already prepared (cleaned from the top) so we have lots of fish for everyone to try some.

It may also be cool if we have 2-3 fish donated for the cutting/cleaning demo, so I can do one for everyone to see and then 1 or 2 volunteers can try their hand at it and I can help them out.

Thanks guys!
    -Mustafa
    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Bumping this up again.

A few of us are going to try to catch some fish Friday morning, but if you have something that you caught Wed or Thursday that you'd like to donate please post it here or send me a PM. I want to make sure I have enough skewers to Masgouf all the fish we catch...

Thanks!
    -Mustafa
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
      Bumping this up again.

A few of us are going to try to catch some fish Friday morning, but if you have something that you caught Wed or Thursday that you'd like to donate please post it here or send me a PM. I want to make sure I have enough skewers to Masgouf all the fish we catch...

Thanks!
      Where and what time are you fishing? I'm going out there Friday, but not sure what time.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

Mustafa -

I am planning to fish from my center console on Thurs. If I am lucky enough to find keeper-sized fish, I can bring them on Friday. Please provide your guidelines on:

- preferred species (most likely these would be rockfish, bluefish, or perch) and preferred size ranges
        - how they should be kept overnight (whole fish, gutted fish, fillets, etc) (Note that I do not know how to prepare a fish for Masgouf style)
        - iced/refrigerated or frozen

I offer no guarantees that I can actually find suitable keeper-sized fish, but am willing to help out if possible.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Heading out Friday morning as well and hope to bump a keeper in the head with my hook I will gladly donate.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
            Where and what time are you fishing? I'm going out there Friday, but not sure what time.
            Not sure on both LOL! I haven't confirmed my attendance because I want to see how Thursday goes at work. Ideally, SPSP around 6-630am? Hopefully the other folks will chime in and we can get a better idea...
            -Mustafa
            2016 Hobie Outback
            2012 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
              Mustafa -

I am planning to fish from my center console on Thurs. If I am lucky enough to find keeper-sized fish, I can bring them on Friday. Please provide your guidelines on:

- preferred species (most likely these would be rockfish, bluefish, or perch) and preferred size ranges
              - how they should be kept overnight (whole fish, gutted fish, fillets, etc) (Note that I do not know how to prepare a fish for Masgouf style)
              - iced/refrigerated or frozen

I offer no guarantees that I can actually find suitable keeper-sized fish, but am willing to help out if possible.
              Thanks for joining the effort John!

preferred species: Rockfish and bluefish are the best. For Rockfish any keeper size would do and for the blues, I'd say 17"+

how they should be kept overnight: Keep it whole and on lots of ice or in a deeper part of your refrigerator. If you can, please make sure the fish dies outside the water rather than in. If it's a blue fish, you don't have to bleed it, just keep it on ice and I'll wash it well after I cut it (to get the excess blood out) just like in my first video. As long as its cold it will be fine. Freezer would take too long to thaw and the taste is drastically different.

Thanks again John!
              -Mustafa
              2016 Hobie Outback
              2012 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Originally posted by daolai View Post
                Heading out Friday morning as well and hope to bump a keeper in the head with my hook I will gladly donate.
                Hey Dao! Sun told me you guys were planning to head out. Along with a couple of others, I'm hoping to join you guys and finally meet!
                -Mustafa
                2016 Hobie Outback
                2012 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Mustafa, since my rockfish season has been appalling I am willing to donate myself for a masgouf...I hope everyone feels like Italian Friday evening!!

Seriously, I have collected some nice dried oak (new) we use for flooring at work. No chemicals have touched during the process, straight from the mill to the kiln. I use it all the time when grilling food on the fire pit. It burns fast and produces great coals...I will bring a few bundles again for the demo.

I'll definitely be fishing Friday once I find out if Goody needs any help getting to the campsite
                  2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                  2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                  2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
                    Mustafa, since my rockfish season has been appalling I am willing to donate myself for a masgouf...I hope everyone feels like Italian Friday evening!!

Seriously, I have collected some nice dried oak (new) we use for flooring at work. No chemicals have touched during the process, straight from the mill to the kiln. I use it all the time when grilling food on the fire pit. It burns fast and produces great coals...I will bring a few bundles again for the demo.

I'll definitely be fishing Friday once I find out if Goody needs any help getting to the campsite
                    That first line had me ROLLING!!

Awesome bro! I'm going to definitely need your fire starting skills!
                    -Mustafa
                    2016 Hobie Outback
                    2012 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
                      Hey Dao! Sun told me you guys were planning to head out. Along with a couple of others, I'm hoping to join you guys and finally meet!
                      Mustafa - yes Sun told me that you will be out and looking forward to you. SPSP sounds good to me at sunrise if you guys are up for it. Send me a PM.

Comment

Good luck broski!! Hope you get a good donation! Still planning on doing a masgouf style fish one of these days...really think a blue would be a fantastic fish (oily, good fat content, good flavor when prepped)... do you brine them similar to smoking them?...oh man, good brine, good smoke/masagouf, good glaze.. delicious

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
                          Just got a message from him, he's goody to go...don't look for the red Saturn.
                          Hobie fleet:
                          2017 Quest 13
                          2015 Outback
                          2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by daolai View Post
                            Mustafa - yes Sun told me that you will be out and looking forward to you. SPSP sounds good to me at sunrise if you guys are up for it. Send me a PM.
                            Will do!
                            -Mustafa
                            2016 Hobie Outback
                            2012 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Originally posted by camelbird View Post
                              Good luck broski!! Hope you get a good donation! Still planning on doing a masgouf style fish one of these days...really think a blue would be a fantastic fish (oily, good fat content, good flavor when prepped)... do you brine them similar to smoking them?...oh man, good brine, good smoke/masagouf, good glaze.. delicious
                              I'm right next door to ya bro, you let me know anytime you want to do Masgouf and I can come over to help you

Yeah, I've mentioned it a couple of times on other threads, and some people are probably tired of me repeating it so much , but hands down so far the best fish for Masgouf out of the ones I tried has been Bluefish! No brine needed. Just wash (the excess blood) thoroughly and season lightly (salt and pepper). The oily goodness that resides in the fish does the rest and since it drips while it cooks, all you get is a nice clean taste (IMHO)
                              -Mustafa
                              2016 Hobie Outback
                              2012 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Working...
                              X