Info on getting "Buzzed"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info on getting "Buzzed"

"Getting Buzzed" by another boat not the other kind, I spoke with DRN Police today about the incident that happened with "Cowpokey" getting buzzed by the "Go Fast Boat" the day he and some fellow Snaggedline folks came out of Beverly/Triton on the 24th along with the photos taken. All information was relayed to the officer that patrols that area and I received an immediate call back from that Officer on this issue. I must say I was impressed by the fast response from DNR Police! They will address OUR concerns especially since at times we have OUR Children and Grandchildren with us on the water and it only takes once to frighten a child on the water and they will never go back out. We have lost a generation of Kayakers and fishermen, not to mention lost revenue to the state in License fees.
    The advice from DNR is to call immediately when something like this happens and report it. That is OUR best Asset for a quick response call 24/7. Will they get the guy every time...No...Will they keep an eye out and do whatever they can to assist us ...YES THEY WILL! Remember a picture is worth a thousand words! Use your Camera's!
    Numbers to Call: Emergencies: 410-260-8888
    General Information 410-260-8880
    Catch-A-Poacher 1-800-635-6124
    Boating & Hunting Education 410-643-8502
    Be Safe!
    eyedaddy
    Last edited by eyedaddy; 08-26-2014, 03:14 PM.

A fishing charter boat did that to me and I radioed him in. They steer clear now. I get the occasional weekend boater being an idiot, but the radio has been a powerful tool in keeping those guys away. What's the number DNR wants you to use? I didn't get a very good response from them about illegal crabbing going on around where I live (people stealing crabs from pots).

Comment

I just posted the numbers to call as I forgot to post they earlier and now they are on there now!

Comment

Thanks for the info. I have a marine radio too, didn't even cross my mind to call them out on it...I'll remember that in the future.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

Thanks for the info, I was with him and the first time I saw the boat go buy I thought he was actually going to rum him over. Fortunately I have encountered more courteous people on the water than people like that guy. I've had a lot of people actually slow down for me or if I at the edge of a no wake zone wait until they are pass me before they take off.
          Travis
          Dune Hobie Pro Angler 12
          Orange Old Town NEXT
          USN

Comment

I was out in Dundee Creek, kaysking back in with some friends about 50-75 yards from the right side of the shoreline when a 20ft-25ft boat csme towards us on purpose and veered off to our right (his left) at the last minute, yelling "choose a side!"... there was CLEARLY plenty of room to the left of us (maybe about 500-700 yards or more???) Unfortunately I didn't know you can call that in, nor did I have a radio at the time. Fortunately none of us got hurt but he didnt shoe any intentions of slowly down while he was driving towards us.

Sent from J-Boogie Yak Fishing Headquarters
            Josh

2014 Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120

Comment

If you are in a kayak, you have no responsibility to "choose" a side. The powered vehicle ALWAYS has to give way.
              Hurricane Skimmer 128
              WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Originally posted by Frogsauce View Post
                A fishing charter boat did that to me and I radioed him in. They steer clear now. I get the occasional weekend boater being an idiot, but the radio has been a powerful tool in keeping those guys away. What's the number DNR wants you to use? I didn't get a very good response from them about illegal crabbing going on around where I live (people stealing crabs from pots).
                Great info!

That's a good idea with the radio. Just to be on the same page, what would you actually say over the radio? Channel 68 I'm assuming...

And Eyedaddy, I'm assuming we would call the general number unless it is an emergency (like someone got hurt) correct?
                -Mustafa
                ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                2016 Hobie Outback
                2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
                  Great info!

That's a good idea with the radio. Just to be on the same page, what would you actually say over the radio? Channel 68 I'm assuming...

And Eyedaddy, I'm assuming we would call the general number unless it is an emergency (like someone got hurt) correct?
                  Your allowed to make the first call to a boat on 16. I think the side benefit is it's monitored by the marina and coast guard.
                  Cuda 14
                  Big tuna

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin View Post
                    If you are in a kayak, you have no responsibility to "choose" a side. The powered vehicle ALWAYS has to give way.
                    oh yea, we definitely yelled that at him in a bit more brief and vulgar statement lol

Sent from J-Boogie Yak Fishing Headquarters
                    Josh

2014 Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120

Comment

Yep, ch 9 or 16. Call their boats name or description followed by what you would like them to do (other than stick it where the sun don't shine). I usually tell them something like, "Warning, yield to the kayaks on your coarse".

Comment

I had a similar issue at Jonas Green a boat got so close to me it sucked my line up in his prop he spooled of 300 yards of 20 lb power pro not cheep and I was more than visible I weigh 260 in a 13 foot yellow kayak with a pirate flag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Donny B.
                        OK Big Game Prowler

Comment

If he wrapped the braid around his prop theres a good chance it would eat up his lower seal on the prop shaft. More expensive to him.lol Sorry about his luck!
                          2014 Ocean Kayak Trident 13

Comment

Originally posted by eyedaddy View Post
                            The advice from DNR is to call immediately when something like this happens and report it.
                            Which number?
                            Emergencies or General Info?
                            2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                            Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

^ I was thinking the same thing. I don't worry too much about them eating my lines, but I wouldn't want a snapped pole or stripped out reel gears.

Comment

Working...
                              X