First Dive into Insight Genesis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Dive into Insight Genesis

Follows a summary of my experience so far with Insight Genesis using a Lowrance Elite 4 HDI...

So... What is Insight Genesis?

Insight Genesis is a relatively new service that allows you to create depth maps from sonar logs recorded by your GPS/Sonar.
    The service is offered by Navico. Compatible GPS/Sonar units include most of the new Lowrance, and other higher end systems.

Free VS Paid Use

Insight Genesis offers most of its functionality for free, with the primary condition that all of your depth charts created are public.
    There is also premium/paid version for $100 per year. With the paid version, you can keep your information private.

There are a few other key differences between the free and paid service ...

Maximum single sonar log duration for free version is two hours.
    Four hours for the paid version.

In the free version you cannot merge multiple sonar logs into one depth map.
    In the paid version, you can.

In the paid version, you can download an unlimited number of depth maps to your GPS.
    In the free version, you must pay per map download. I don't know yet how much these cost.

In my opinion, lack of merging is the biggest limitation in the free version.
    This is, in theory, resolved by Insight Genesis "Social"...

Insight Genesis Social, is essentially a "crowd sourced" collection of depth maps, created from all public depth maps.
    There is an unpredictable degree of lag in this service. My depth map has yet to appear in the Social Map.
    So, I cant really comment further on this feature.

The Gear

I am using a Lowrance Elite 4 HDI, with a 32 GB microsd card.
    I mounted the transducer on an arm, to the side, which prevented me from mapping the weedy areas.

Trip at Cash Lake

I figured Cash Lake was a great place to try this out. It's small, so I could conceivably map the entire accessible areas in one go.
    And it's relatively quiet, so I could focus on an even coverage without dodging other boats.

When I got there, launched, and turned on "Log Sonar."
    I initially paddled the perimeter of the late, then I proceeded in a sweeping pattern over the interior.
    I was uncertain how close my sweeps needed to be, so I erred on the side of over coverage.
    I'm sure some folks on shore wondered what the hell I was doing, trucking around the lake like I was in a one man race.
    In about 45 minutes or so, I finished covering the lake, turned off "Log Sonar", and fished for a couple hours.

Creating a Depth Map

Discovering the process of creating a depth map using Insight Genesis involved a little trial and error.
    I made two trips before this one (one to Jonas, one to Mallows), logging 6 and 7 hour long sonar logs. This was before I realized the limit was 2 hours.
    Mapping only the first 2 hours of the trips resulted in some pretty useless maps.

The process went like this:
    1. Create an Account at https://insightstore.navico.com/
    2. Download and install the the Uploader Application.
    3. Put the microsd card in the, PC, and upload the file Using the Uploader application.

uploader.jpg

4. Wait for sonar to be processed.
    5. When done (you'll get a notification email - or you can click reload over and over for 20 minutes like i did), log in and view the map.

insightmainpage.jpg

Viewing the Depth Map

The Viewer is a bit awkward and small. You get a tiny little window, in a "Silverlight" app (Microsoft's version of Flash).
    Your trail, and depth chart are superimposed on a Bing satellite image map of the body of water.
    You can Zoom, move about, and change settings such as increasing the contours to 1 foot gradations (kind of critical for shallow water like Cash Lake).

cashlake1.jpg cashlake detail.jpg

Next thing to try ...

Downloading a depth map to the GPS.
    Last edited by Delicious Bass; 08-27-2014, 10:56 PM. Reason: Fixed images
    Chris

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160i
    Lowrance Elite-4 HDI

This is a cool service. I need to look at this.
    Do they have a decent library of charts yet. Over time it should get pretty good is they get a good user base.
    Hurricane Skimmer 128
    WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Thanks for the report - I've been wanting to try this.

Comment

I scanned the website today. You can tel it is a new service. Many of the lakes listed have just a small little track shown on them. If it catches on ,it could really be good.
        Hurricane Skimmer 128
        WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin View Post
          I scanned the website today. You can tel it is a new service. Many of the lakes listed have just a small little track shown on them. If it catches on ,it could really be good.
          Yeah... The "social" part is still in Beta...

I also get the impression that there is some degree of "man behind the curtain" going on.
          By that I mean, the process on their end is not completely automated, requiring human beings to look at the data and execute some level of quality control. This could explain the long delays in data reaching the Social share.

In the end, I think unless they make this easier, it won't catch on.
          By easy, I mean that you push a button on the gps, and it automatically connects to the internet and the uploads data.
          Remove card, insert into PC, login, run uploader app,... Too many steps.

However, for my use, I'm at the moment not counting on anyone else mapping anything. I'm content to just use the data I have collected.

But you're right. It would be much cooler if it caught on.
          Chris

Lowrance Elite-4 HDI

Comment

Great post I have been tempting to try this to. Thanks for posting the Cash lake map. I fish there often and this is pretty interesting.
            -Neil

Moken 13 Angler Deluxe

Comment

Originally posted by quikdrive View Post
              I fish there often and this is pretty interesting.
              Thanks. How's your luck there? I have yet to catch anything of consequence at Cash Lake, though I am always targeting bass with cranks or soft plastic. I go there purely for convenience, because it's 5 minutes away from my house.

I see most folks there fish with worms and bobbers, for crappie I suspect. Talking to anglers at the lake, They have spoken of other guys who pull up big bass.
              Chris

Lowrance Elite-4 HDI

Comment

Originally posted by Delicious Bass View Post
                Thanks. How's your luck there?
                I do okay there nothing special. I usually fly fish. I always had my best luck in the spring before the lily pads settle in. There are nice fish there but they don't like what I am throwing at them. The refugee seems to be messing with the water level recently. Last time I was there it was really low. The floating dock was sitting on the ground and a lot of the shallow areas were exposed.
                -Neil

Moken 13 Angler Deluxe

Comment

It had rained a lot, and the water level was normal. I remember it was crazy low for a few weeks, I think they set the level low to prep for that deluge we got mid summer and took their time setting back to normal.
                  The floating bridge seemed more floaty now. It's also back open to the public I'm assuming, as I've seen people walking on it. For a while they had restricted trail access to the floating bridge due to its state of disrepair.
                  Chris

Lowrance Elite-4 HDI

Comment

I logged in to enter my sonar'a serial number/content id to prep for map download. I also checked to see if my Cash Lake map made it to the Social map. It has not.

However, I noticed they have updated the map/trip viewer. I had remarked at how small it was in my initial review. The updated version uses a bit more screen now, and the interface is a bit less cluttered.
                    Chris

Lowrance Elite-4 HDI

Comment

Seems like it's been a while since there's been chatter about Insight Genesis. Any additional experiences/insights?
                      Michael
                      Washington, DC
                      Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                      X