Thinking about cooking some blues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about cooking some blues

I normally smoke them but I have fresh fillets. I heard if you cook them within 24 hours and soak in milk it's another story with taste. Is this true? Or should I keep smoking. I know this is about personal taste but I trust your opinions! Thanks
    Cuda 14
    Big tuna

I know soaking in milk will take the fishy taste away. I don't have much experience with blue but I usually do it with catfish, trout.

Comment

If they're fresh and under 20" they won't have a fishy taste but if you're worried about it soaking in milk will draw out any strong flavors. Fresh fried is yum. Ive even had blue sashimi... its also a good idea to bleed blues right away after catching
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I have poached the fillets, and made fish cakes using methods similar to crab cakes, or salmon croquettes. Delicious...made me mad for not trying that sooner.
        <insert witty comment here>

Comment

All good ideas! What the recipe for the fish cakes?
          Cuda 14
          Big tuna

Comment

Masgouf! Blues done Masgouf style are awesome IMHO...

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...Double-Masgouf
            Last edited by AbuMasgouf; 08-27-2014, 04:24 PM.
            -Mustafa
            ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
            2016 Hobie Outback
            2012 Hobie Revolution 13
            "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Take skinless fillets from a 1 to 2 lb bluefish. Cook them the same day or no later than one day. Spread olive oil in a baking pan, make sure fillets are covered lightly with olive oil on both sides. Sprinkle some Old Bay and some blackened seasoning on one side. A short time in the oven, broiler or grill and you will have some fine eating.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

The couple times I have cooked blues, I brined them, then slow smoked them with applewood skin on.
                I had trouble keeping the temp low. This is important, as otherwise they become too dry.
                For the smaller guys and edges that got too dry, I chopped them up and mixed them into cream cheese.
                Delicious spread on a toasted bagel or cracker.

IMO, even small blues are "fishy." Some people like that others do not.
                Chris

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160i
                Lowrance Elite-4 HDI

Comment

Ok so I went back to my skin on fillets and removed skin. For some reason it was hard taking the skin off. I soaked in milk and baked. Wow that's good eating. Tasted like a stronger Maui Maui. I'm surprised.
                  Cuda 14
                  Big tuna

Comment

Originally posted by Longtrav View Post
                    Tasted like a stronger Maui Maui.
                    LOL, you mean "Mahi Mahi"?
                    Hobie fleet:
                    2017 Quest 13
                    2015 Outback
                    2014 Outback

Comment

My phone loves me. you haven't had the Maui.... Ha
                      Cuda 14
                      Big tuna

Comment

My phone loves me. you haven't had the Maui.... Ha
                        I have Maui Jim sunglasses...
                        Hobie fleet:
                        2017 Quest 13
                        2015 Outback
                        2014 Outback

Comment

All good ideas! What the recipe for the fish cakes?
                          With the fillets poached (basically boiled for like 4 minutes), I flake out the meat, just like tuna from a can...

I add a blend of seasonings including old bay, garlic powder, black pepper, onion powder. I also add finely diced onions (when they fry up, they caramelize a bit...giving a sweet taste), and dried herbs like parsley, oregano.

I add an egg as an emulsifier to bind all the ingredients together. I form the fish cakes by hand and coat them in panko bread crumbs. Then I pan fry them till golden brown on each side.

So its a little different than my crab cakes now that I think about it. For my crab cakes I don't add all that extra stuff.
                          <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Have to take the head off and guts out of the blue and get it on ice quick, or keep them alive until ready to filet. Any 'fishy' taste/smell in any kind of fish usually comes from not doing that. Or spilling the guts into the meat. Some are worse than others for sure. Catfish mash, peeyeeww!

Comment

The old bay premixed crab cake mix is good stuff also. Might want to try that. My Mom makes better crab cakes than I have ever had in any restaurant and she does use that old bay mix sometimes. She also makes awesome fish cakes with that salted cod stuff. I will try to get her fish cakes recipe, might work well with bluefish if it is fresh.

Comment

Working...
                              X