Anchor or drift sock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anchor or drift sock?

Mine is a retractable clothes line with three pound anchor works great in reservoirs not so good in salt SPSP current really rips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Donny B.
    OK Big Game Prowler

Have you ever tried dragging a chain? You should try cbbt if you think spsp is bad. I just anchor off structure there most of the time, pretty hard to pull drifts. Most other places I just one hand my paddle to slow down a drift.

Comment

I use a 5 lbs claw anchor, but a 3 lbs would be fine too. It's roped at the bottom and a zip tied at the top. If it gets hung on anything, I just pull hard enough and the zip tie breaks, and the anchor gets pulled out from the bottom. Similar to how a small boat would use a claw.

Comment

I'll try that but my issue seems to be getting it to hold bottom any tips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Donny B.
        OK Big Game Prowler

Comment

A 5 lbs anchor will hold you. Also, look into anchoring a boat, similar concept, but dramatically reduced line requirements for a kayak. If I anchor in 25 ft of water in terribly rough conditions and high winds, I'll only have to let out maybe 35 ft of line to hold with a 5 lbs anchor. My 7 lbs anchor on the Tarpon will hold tight no matter the length of line.

Comment

3 lb drag chain, 3 lb collapsible anchor.2014 08 anchor 5.jpg
            Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
            Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Depends on where you are trying to anchor. If you are trying to slow down a drift, the sock or chain may help. I usually only drift around bridges when the current is not running too hard. In heavy current, I use a kayak wreck anchor. The wreck anchor will hold as long as there are rocks or other stuff around for it to grab hold of. Sometimes I have been out at cbbt when not even a 7 pound anchor would hold on the sandy bottom away from the bridge.

http://kayakkevin.com/home/kayakwreckanchors.html

Comment

I have one of those collapsible anchors also, but it just does not work well at places like cbbt.

Comment

Agreed, it will some time before I attempt the CBBT. At this stage I am more of a back bay/ flats yaker until I get a lot more experience.
                  Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                  Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Yeah, that small collapsible one will work fine for those situations, but Bluegill was asking about places like spsp which is a little bit easier than cbbt but still requires some creative solutions for anchoring.

Comment

I'm still new at the Bay Bridge, so anchoring there is not something I'm interested in doing just yet.

Although with all the crap down there, I would recommend a wreck anchor.
                      2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                      Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Working...
                      X