Alabama Rig Legality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alabama Rig Legality

As Cowpokey said we pick up some cheap Alabama rigs today so I looked weather or not they are legal. Don't know if anyone has seen this before. It answered my question. http://dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/pd...labama_Rig.pdf
    Travis
    Dune Hobie Pro Angler 12
    Orange Old Town NEXT
    USN

Good to know...glad I left them in the Jeep this morning, I would have been breaking the law if I rigged them with what's in the package.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

I think I'm going to make up a short steel leader with snap to go on the middle wire, that way I can put a crankbait or other lure hanging back from the four arms with "teasers" since they won't have hooks.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

Yeah, I was aware of that. Sabikis also illegal I believe.

You may want to look at picasso v rigs as an alternative. I have some those and alabamas, but I can only use the alabamas over here in VA.

-You could add hookless teasers to your alabama rigs or you could just buy picasso v rigs which are already set up to hold hookless teasers.
        Last edited by JohnE; 08-29-2014, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
          Yeah, I was aware of that. Sabikis also illegal I believe.

You may want to look at picasso v rigs as an alternative. I have some those and alabamas, but I can only use the alabamas over here in VA.
          We used Sabikis all the time in Korea, they worked good for catching bait.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
            I think I'm going to make up a short steel leader with snap to go on the middle wire, that way I can put a crankbait or other lure hanging back from the four arms with "teasers" since they won't have hooks.
            That's the way the Booyah Alpine Rig is done.

2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
            Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Originally posted by buzz View Post
              That's the way the Booyah Alpine Rig is done.

I got the idea from this thread:

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...fish!!!!/page2

Maybe mono or braid would be a good option too. It would definitely be easier to rig or re-rig on the water if the leader needed to be replaced. Could also make the leader out of slightly lighter test line, incase one of the hooks got snagged on something. Loosing the center lure would be cheaper than loosing the whole umbrella.
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

Walmart has 6" and 9" steel leader rigged. 9" steel leader at 30lb test.
                Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Originally posted by Salty Dog View Post
                  Walmart has 6" and 9" steel leader rigged. 9" steel leader at 30lb test.
                  I make my own. I have a spool of 20lb test coated steel line. I bought it originally for barracuda fishing with my fly rod in the Keys...it worked great.
                  Hobie fleet:
                  2017 Quest 13
                  2015 Outback
                  2014 Outback

Comment

P10909691__90639.1408066711.1280.1280.jpg
                    Here is a pic of one of the picasso v rigs that I have.

Comment

I like that rig John, gonna try to make one like that. Thanks!

Comment

I've been using a Picasso Rig for years to troll for stripers without knowing the name. Friends and I make our own out of stainless steel welding rod. Mine have rubber shads on the body with some type of lures or a larger shad with hooks on the end leaders. My neighbor uses spoons in the summer for blues and sometimes replaces the shads with pieces of aluminum with a twist in it so it spins to attract fish. They are easy to make, cheap, and catch fish. They also have nowhere near as much drag as an umbrella rig.

Comment

Working...
                        X