Chincoteaque 9-3 to 9-7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chincoteaque 9-3 to 9-7

Heading down to chinco and was wondering if anyone else might be down then.
    Havent been down there or fished for flounder in over 25 years and really looking forward to it.
    We are staying on the south east side of the island with a launch right across the road from us so I plan to be on the water a lot.
    Hoping to do some ocean surf fishing as well.

Been watching a lot of videos to get familiar with flounder techniques so hopefully I'm ready but am open for any tips or advice to help find some keeper flounder, reds or specks.

I found some videos from John Skinner on fishing bucktails and gulp with a bare hook with gulp as a teaser 12 inches up from the bucktail and this guy was killing the flounder with that setup. He has a lot of good videos and has some underwater footage of the bucktail & gulp rigs in action.

2013 PRO ANGLER 12
    2013 Cuda 12

I fish Chincoteague for a week in the spring and fall each. Going down Oct 4-12. This year I am taking the Yak.That is the rig that has been catching a lot of flounder this year. tie a bucktail on and about 12-18" above attach a 6/0-7/0 circle teaser hook on a drop loop. White and Chartreuse Gulp are the colors of choice. Pink works as well.
    Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
    Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Make sure you go to the police station and purchase a boat ramp sticker. $20 for the year gives you unlimited access to CI ramps. They will ticket yakkers. There are 5 CI ramps at your disposal with the sticker. Curtis Merritt, memorial Park, Clam House on east side drive, Deep Hole Road by Gary Howard seafood and Main Street behind the VFW. Each offers great access to the flounder areas. If you go off island stop at queen Sound Bridge and there is another ramp you can use.Curtis Merritt has the best deal on ice. The tide rips through the island, gauging your trips around the tide changes makes things easier for me. Carry a sea anchor as I have had the wind opposite the tide screwing the drift. Look for water exiting an area on a falling tide. Flounder are stacked up at the spillway eating minnows and such. I try to fish where boaters can't due to shallow water. I may be down, not sure. Haven't seen my house for a month, two weeks ago my wife and dog were bitten by an off leash pit bull, they finally healed and the same dog gets twisted stomach and needs surgery. He is home doing well, not sure if he will be for travel. Good luck, have fun and be safe. Buy a fly swatter!

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Sorry to hear about your wife and dog.

Was wondering about permits for launching. Looks like they also have a 7 day permit for $5
        Was also wondering how the bugs are this time of year. Was also worried about currents and tides & how much the water will drop on a low tide. Don't want to get stuck in a shallow area when the tide goes out. Heard any reports of any reds or specks down there?

Still trying to figure out if I'll need a VA fishing license? Read something about a reciprocal MD license being all I need??

Hit Bass Pro today and loaded up with bucktails, white, yellow & pink 4"gulp swimming mullets & new penny 3" gulp shrimp & DOA shrimp in 1/4 & 1/2 oz.
        2013 PRO ANGLER 12
        2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Sounds like you are ready, yes, go online and register with Va saltwater registry. Its free, reciprocal with MD. Good for one year from date of registration. don't forget to stop by and see the boys at Capt. Steves bait and tackle. Tell them Freddie T said Hey.
          Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
          Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

John Skinner is the man!

Don't have any info to add about Chincoteague other than a big plus one on the fly swatter! LOL

Enjoy yourself and I hope your successful!
            -Mustafa
            ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
            2016 Hobie Outback
            2012 Hobie Revolution 13
            "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Here it is if you want to read it.
              http://mrc.virginia.gov/regulations/...licensing.shtm

16 years or older and less than 65 years old (16-64 years old):*a paid license is required unless one of following exemptions applies:• fishing from a public fishing pier with a VMRC issued license that allows pier anglers to fish without license• any non-license holder fishing from a private boat with a VA or PRFC saltwater boat license• fishing from the angler's private property/pier• fishing in VA with a reciprocal MD saltwater licenseIndividuals fishing without license under these exemptions are required to obtain a no-cost FIP registration prior to fishing.

Comment

The Assateague Channel (where I think the launch you are talking about is) is usually pretty good for flounder. Anywhere from just north of the Assateague bridge south to Tom's Cove Campground has been good to me in the past. There are some good clam flats over that way too as long as you stay out of the leased areas (marked with keep out signs or white poles). The launch off of Deep Hole Rd. on the northeast end of the island is a nice spot to get away from boat traffic. I know some reds were caught up that way last year too.

I'll second Cpt. Steve's Bait and Tackle. Jimmy and his dad have everything you need and will give you all the help you need. They're a good family.
                Brian

Comment

Originally posted by CoptrDoctr View Post
                  Here it is if you want to read it.
                  http://mrc.virginia.gov/regulations/...licensing.shtm

16 years or older and less than 65 years old (16-64 years old):*a paid license is required unless one of following exemptions applies:• fishing from a public fishing pier with a VMRC issued license that allows pier anglers to fish without license• any non-license holder fishing from a private boat with a VA or PRFC saltwater boat license• fishing from the angler's private property/pier• fishing in VA with a reciprocal MD saltwater licenseIndividuals fishing without license under these exemptions are required to obtain a no-cost FIP registration prior to fishing.
                  Yeah we found that info and registered for the FIP. Just wanted to be sure we read it correctly.
                  2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                  2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
                    The Assateague Channel (where I think the launch you are talking about is) is usually pretty good for flounder. Anywhere from just north of the Assateague bridge south to Tom's Cove Campground has been good to me in the past. There are some good clam flats over that way too as long as you stay out of the leased areas (marked with keep out signs or white poles). The launch off of Deep Hole Rd. on the northeast end of the island is a nice spot to get away from boat traffic. I know some reds were caught up that way last year too.

I'll second Cpt. Steve's Bait and Tackle. Jimmy and his dad have everything you need and will give you all the help you need. They're a good family.
                    We are staying right across the street from the public ramp on east side road. I guess that would be the clam house ramp mentioned above.

Not much of a clam lover but do love oysters. Are they Ok to harvest and eat there and if so where is a good place to find some? Might give the clam a try again too if I find some. Never tried to dig for them before. I'm assuming they can be found along the shore lines? How deep?
                    2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                    2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Yeah, that's a good spot to launch for flounder. If Snug Harbor cabins are open they sell live minnows, if you don't trap your own. Probably a ton of croakers in that area too.

I'm not sure of the oyster regs, so I'd check up on them before heading out. If they are in season, they aren't too hard to find out there on low tide along the bank edges. In fact there is a lot of them around the island.

You can sometimes find clams by seeing the side of the shell hinge just barely sticking out of the sand or mud. You can also look for the "key hole" and dig them up. Of course you need to be on a flat at low tide to find them like this. Otherwise, it's just as easy to drag a rake until you hit one. Where you find one, you'll usually find more in the same area. They're usually only down an inch or so. A lot of chowder clams though.
                      Brian

Comment

Sitting on the deck watching a cool light show out over the ocean. Heat lightning I guess. No sound of Thunder so I guess it's out pretty far from shore.

So anxious to get out there tomorrow I can't get to sleep.
                        Low tide at 10:30 and high tide near 5 so figure we'll ride the current out toward the inlet early and catch a ride back in on the incoming with hopefully some nice flounder for dinner.

Brought the cuda and the pro angler. Figure I better start out on the cuda. A lot of shallow areas from the look of my charts. Only bad part is the FF is on the hobie,
                        Last edited by CAGE RATTLER; 09-04-2014, 03:48 AM.
                        2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                        2013 Cuda 12

Comment

2 days and no flounder yet. Haven't even heard of anyone catching any. Everyone I've talked to said it's been bad lately. Today was tough with wind against the current and a storm cell ran us in early. Did get 2 new species though. Caught a small pig fish Thursday and a black bass today. Didn't want a skunk so rigged up a line with fish bites to get them.

Was determined to get some flounder and catch some crabs and make some stuffed flounder for dinner but had to settle on the next best thing and had a nice stuffed flounder dinner at Village restaurant.
                          2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                          2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Thanks for the flounder fishing report. I've been very keen on the idea of flounder fishing and have watched the John Skinner videos on rigs with bucktails and gulp. He makes it look easy, at least on the video segments that get posted.

Chincotrague is a long drive from Rockville for me, unless we are staying for a weekend. It is supposed to be a good place for flounder, though. Sorry they were not there for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by CAGE RATTLER View Post
                              2 days and no flounder yet. Haven't even heard of anyone catching any.
                              Have you tried using any kind of cut bait? We used herring for Halibut in AK, it's really oily and the "sent" (oil) would attract them. I don't know what could be used here, but maybe sardines?
                              Hobie fleet:
                              2017 Quest 13
                              2015 Outback
                              2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
                              X