Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone want to join me on my PA shakedown cruise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone want to join me on my PA shakedown cruise?

God willing, Ryan will deliver my new, fully equipped ProAngler, complete with Humminbird 597 CI HD DI, at 6:00 am.

Humminbird did agree to overnight me a unit, then next day said they were out of stock, and after I guilted them about the time and expense I went to switch from Lowrance to HB, found one for me. Then the tornadoes went through Alabama and Tennesee, delaying Fedex shipments, and killing over 300 people ino the process. In the big picture, decided getting my boat a couple more days later, wasn't such a big deal, considering what those folks have gone through.

I also bit the bullet and will almost certainly take delivery of the used Rack&Roll trailer Ryan had on consighment. Rather than spend another $200 for Hobie saddles, went with custom built boat-bunks made out of 4" PVC. Ryan happend across the plans here:
    http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewt...p?f=78&t=35121. He is doing everything he can to make me a happy boat owner.

I'm hoping one of you PA captains might want to go out with me on my shakedown cruise tomorrow and show me some of the tricks.

I live in Cheverly, PG county, MD, at the intersectioone o of Rt50 and BWI Pkway. Was thinking Piscataway creek to shoot for some large mouth. Think I will want to take the PA out on protected waters the first few times before venturing into the bay. But am open to suggestions - or other dates.

BTW, thanks everybody for all the tips, recommendations and opinions, as I thought through and explored this purchase.

so how did it go? couldnt make it being in va. that bunk looks cool need to make sure that the pvc edge is filed and rounded they can be real sharp and willl peal the bottom of the pa

Comment

Good shakedown cruise

Ryan delivered the boat and trailer at 6:00 am on Saturday morning. We installed the bunks and went over the equipment. He had to get back to the shop by nine, or I would have kept him there for another hour or two. He did an absolutely superb job with the installation of the Humminbird 597 and rod holders. VERY clean.

I spend a few hours reading through the manuals and delivery checklist, fired up the sonar in simulation mode, and head out to Piscataway Creek around noon, hoping to catch the incoming tide at 1:30. Water was chocolate from the rain - should have called ahead.

I found that dropping in the Mirage drive was trickier than it looked when demonstrated. I thought it was seated properly but wasn't. Peddled for a bit and it felt loose. Pulled out the drive and saw that the aft fin was kinked and one of the knurled screws was out of the fin. Got the screw back in but not sure it is properly placed.

After I got the drive installe properly, was annoyed by the thumping sound made by the flippers striking the hull. Adjusted my pedal stroke for the rest of the day to reduce the noise.

The draft on the boat is deeper than my Ride135 and the rudder sometimes dragged when fishing near shore in the low tide. I could get within 5 or 10 feet with my Ride but found I had to stay 50 feet or more away from shore with the PA.

Didn't catch any fish but have to say I covered a lot more water in a shorter amount of time with the PA than I could have in the 135.

The next day, I went to Black Hills lake. Still had problems getting the drive to drop in straight but at least I knew what the correct way looked like. This time I adjusted the Mirage peddles to a different setting and that annoying thump dissapeared. MUCH better. I also discovered that I could flutter the pedals in shallow water and was able to get about in much skinnier water than I did the day previous.

Everyone was right about the PA being a beast in the weight category. I have a problem getting the bow up on the bunkers. The bow is round and wants to fall out before I can get the weight up on the trailer. Happened to run into FredneckYaker on the ramp and he helped me get it up on the bunks.

Car topping is actually easier but just the static weight caused the car roof to go concave. Don't know yet how I'm going to transport in the long run. Next time,. will go out again, disconnect the lights on the the trailer, and try backing it out further into the water, then float the boat on.

Surfdog, thanks for the tip on the PVC edges. Will get a rat file and smooth them out tonight.

Comment

I always wondered how it would work in shallow water and what you do. Very nice vessel i might add.
        Malibu Stealth 14
        Perception Caster 12.5

Comment

i still have problems getting the drive to seat sometimes it slips in and others its a bitch. in shallow water i lock the drive up and use the paddle. dont forget to lock the rudder down or the current or waves can kick it up.

the knocking is from too much stroke shorten the stroke and it wont hit the hull when peddling

Comment

Dissapointing That is a design problem

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
            i still have problems getting the drive to seat sometimes it slips in and others its a bitch. in shallow water i lock the drive up and use the paddle. dont forget to lock the rudder down or the current or waves can kick it up.

I hoped that my prombem seating the drive properly was just a little learning curve but sounds like it is a design issue - especially considering experienced users still have the problem. I kinked the fin a little and the adjustment screw came out. Don't think it caused any real permanent problems.

the knocking is from too much stroke shorten the stroke and it wont hit the hull when peddling
            You mean use the peddle adjustments to shorten the stroke, I think? Also, how do you lock down the fins? (or lock them up?) Use the bungee cord?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by BadAssBass View Post
              You mean use the peddle adjustments to shorten the stroke, I think? Also, how do you lock down the fins? (or lock them up?) Use the bungee cord?

Thanks.
              thats what the bungee is for. you should have a black plastic hooked thing to stick the handle of the down rudder under not sure what it looks like on the pro geezer

Comment

Working...
              X