Slayer Propel 13- Need a Crate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slayer Propel 13- Need a Crate

Those with SP 13's can you share your rear crate configuration/type? I am still outfitting and want to tackle this step. Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated. Email if you prefer at burchbeer@verizon.net
    Deadwood (Dave)
    West River & Miles River
    2-Old Town Dirigo 12's,2-Old Town Vapors 10ft, 1-NWSlayer Propel13.
    If you dont go, you wont know, and you got to have bait in the water.

I do not use a crate on my Slayer Propel or any of my other kayaks. I find that with some practice and discipline, I can easily pack all the tackle I will use for a trip into one or two Plano waterproof trays. On the Slayer Propel, they slide under the seat -- one on either side. I place two objects in the rear well behind me: 1) my paddle broken into two halves, and 2) my Hawg Trough. On my Manta Rays, I place one Plano tray behind me and another (if needed) in front of the starboard side footrest.

Native makes several storage accessories -- First Class Seat Pack, Tool Holster, and the Fishing Buddy bag.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I have a milk crate with a three way pvc connect (one fitting with three holes) to hold two rods and my flag (or three rods), my cooler, Hawg Trough, and hat. I bought a cheap crate from Staples. I used BIG wire ties to secure the PVC onto the crate. Someone told me the cheap crate won't hold the force of a big fish pulling on the pole, and I wouldn't know because I have not been fortunate enough to catch a fish bigger than 16 inches. Point being - if you do get a crate, get a sturdy one. Coop (Snaggedline member) has a great crate setup that I will copy some day.
      Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
      Cobra Explorer

Comment

I have collected 3 milk crates over the last year and I can not finally make this. http://www.yakangler.com/forum/21-lo...ild-is-ongoing. I originally found a more descriptive narrative, but this is all I could find right now.
        http://www.yakangler.com/forum/21-lo...ild-is-ongoing

Comment

Originally posted by CoptrDoctr View Post
          I have collected 3 milk crates over the last year and I can not finally make this. http://www.yakangler.com/forum/21-lo...ild-is-ongoing. I originally found a more descriptive narrative, but this is all I could find right now.
          http://www.yakangler.com/forum/21-lo...ild-is-ongoing[ATTACH=CONFIG]13288[/ATTACH]
          Very similar to Coops. He used 2 crates and extended the height and made a cover like the one you post. He said he bought the rod holders online. He also fashioned a coupl eof plexiglass boxes on the outside for his camera and radio and used cords to attach them in case he turtled. The only reason I don't have a top on mine is because I put my cooler (in the remote chance that I catch a fish) in my crate.
          Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
          Cobra Explorer

Comment

http://www.yakangler.com/forum/21-lo...ild-is-ongoing[ATTACH=CONFIG]13288[/ATTACH]
            More descriptive... http://www.stripersonline.com/t/6958...0-2009-4-56-pm

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

The Slayer 13 is a large boat with plenty of storage behind the seat, under it and on deck. I probably wouldn't use a crate if I owned one either.

That said, I use a BlackPac because my Revo 13 is "space-challenged" to say the least. I find the BlackPac is well made, roomy and versatile. I especially like how I can hang my fly rods on it via Scotty holders.

When it comes to rigging, I think the best thing you can do is to fish with your kayak for while in a minimalist fashion and let your actual fishing experiences and techniques reveal precisely what you need.

Good luck.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Crate

I am rethinking a crate actually. JAVeil input is correct IMO. I like to go light and I C&R primarily. If I go on long outtings then Ill have to consider a crate for storing more on a long paddle. I am just still going thru growing pains and I see so many with crates that I felt I needed to get into one also. I have some good dairy crates though to get started with vs those cheap light weigh big box store cheapies. Thanks as usual all.
                Deadwood (Dave)
                West River & Miles River
                2-Old Town Dirigo 12's,2-Old Town Vapors 10ft, 1-NWSlayer Propel13.
                If you dont go, you wont know, and you got to have bait in the water.

Comment

My #1 reason for a crate isn't the storage as much as it is for the rod holders. I am still undecided on which track mounted rod holders I want to use, so this will suffice for now.

Comment

Originally posted by reel-em-in View Post
                    That is the one. i didn't even think of checking stripers online.

Comment

My #1 reason for a crate isn't the storage as much as it is for the rod holders. I am still undecided on which track mounted rod holders I want to use, so this will suffice for now.
                      I have rod holders for 5 rods on my Slayer Propel. Two Scottys on the gear tracks in front of the seat, two more Scottys on fixed mounts behind the seat, and one other set of Native Cam-Lock paddle holders in the rear gear track that holds a 5th rod horizontally. All of my rod holders are set up to hold the rods relatively flat so they are not sticking up in the air where the rods could interfere with my casting.

I typically troll 4 rods by rotating all four Scottys outward. I place the rod I am not using in the Cam-Lock holders. If you want to carry more rods than that, you will probably need some sort of vertical rod storage.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis
                      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
                      X