No announcement yet.

Ascend, any good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought the Ascend D10T SOT about a year ago. I am happy with it overall, but probably more because it gets me access to infinitely better fishing than from an overly fished shore spot. It also helped that I had enough gift cards to make the whole initial out of pocket less than $200.

I haven't had experience in any other kayak but I would say that the D10T is at least worth the money if you want to stay on a low budget. My only complaints about it are the lack of a decent hatch (4"? circle hatch by the seat holds phone and keys but offers almost no access to the hull for installing rod holders etc.) and it tends to veer off course pretty drastically when you stop paddling (I think due to the short 10' length and the weight distribution of the seat being further back). It comes with a decent gel seat but I ended up buying a 2.5" closed cell foam pad to stick under it for about $20.

I would love to get a Hobie peddle yak but still haven't convinced the wife to let me get one and I am not experienced enough in the bay to feel like i have a chance at the CBKA.
    Mike

Comment

I think I have given up on the Ascend idea.. they just don't seem to be what I want. I will want to go out on the bay occasionally and from what I can tell, the sit-in kayaks are not great for that. I think it is interesting however that Jackson came out with the Killroy which is a sit in kayak.. maybe a little higher quality but still a sit in with no scuppers. I wonder how they do on the bay, or even one of the Native Watercraft ultimate Canaks.

GOOD NEWS.. I spoke with my wife and I will be getting off from my "Dad duties" so I can participate in the tournament.. heading on over to sign up right now.. I am so stoked. Look for another post asking a bazillion questions.
      Last edited by Pat Smith; 09-04-2014, 09:21 PM.
      People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Comment

They do make ascend sit on top kayaks... Just sayin. P.m. one of us if you still need a loaner for the tourney
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Pat,
          To answer your question about Ascends. I have both pros and cons to the kayak. I own the smaller of the bunch. The cost is reasonable but its all up to the person who owns the kayak or any other kayak. I am a very short lady and wanted something I am able to lug around on my own. Unfortunately I do not have a trailer yet and hope to get one soon. I went with the D10 due to size, length and weight sit up... I have done so much kayaking since I got it in May for mothers day.
          I also modified it a LOT. From the trolley for anchoring. A mount for both fish finder and fishing rodes and flush mounts as well. Modified a milk crate. I did get some help from kayakmedic. Thanks to him I learned so much that can help for a future ocean kayak. I did go to West Marine and drooled over some other kayaks there. But for now I will deal with what I have. From what I understand.. depending on how much you are willing to spend and what you are after its up to you.

Maria
          Maria
          GO RAVENS!!!
          D10 Ascend
          http://c85c7a.medialib.glogster.com/...lers-2-png.png

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Smith View Post
            I think I have given up on the Ascend idea.. they just don't seem to be what I want. I will want to go out on the bay occasionally and from what I can tell, the sit-in kayaks are not great for that. I think it is interesting however that Jackson came out with the Killroy which is a sit in kayak.. maybe a little higher quality but still a sit in with no scuppers. I wonder how they do on the bay, or even one of the Native Watercraft ultimate Canaks.

GOOD NEWS.. I spoke with my wife and I will be getting off from my "Dad duties" so I can participate in the tournament.. heading on over to sign up right now.. I am so stoked. Look for another post asking a bazillion questions.
            Sit ons are better btw.
            Maria
            GO RAVENS!!!
            D10 Ascend
            http://c85c7a.medialib.glogster.com/...lers-2-png.png

Comment

I knew Ascend had a sit on top but in my Bass Pro they only had the molded-into-the-hull type. I just went to the Ascend site and found they have a 12 foot sit on top with a lawn chair type seat for only $700.. that is a pretty good deal. Looking at reviews of it, they seem to have some issues like leaks, loose screws..etc.

Still for $300 more I can get a brand new Feel Free Lure 12 that is top knotch quality and the seat is REALLY nice in it.

Comment

I knew Ascend had a sit on top but in my Bass Pro they only had the molded-into-the-hull type. I just went to the Ascend site and found they have a 12 foot sit on top with a lawn chair type seat for only $700.. that is a pretty good deal. Looking at reviews of it, they seem to have some issues like leaks, loose screws..etc.

Still for $300 more I can get a brand new Feel Free Lure 12 that is top knotch quality and the seat is REALLY nice in it.
                I saw a couple used Hobie Outback kayaks on craiglist today for $1200-1300. I know that's still more than you're planning on spending, but hands-free is that much more awesome. There's a newer Outback for sale on here too...check the "Tackle Shop".

Used is the way to go when you're trying to stay on a budget.
                Hobie fleet:
                2017 Quest 13
                2015 Outback
                2014 Outback

Comment

People are raving about the outbacks.. don't they have the molded seats and not the lawnchair seat? I THINK I want to stay away from the molded seats.. .I THINK I want a lawnchair style seat.. the pedal variety kayak really looks nice, easy, fun, better for fishing.. but OMG expensive.

Comment

People are raving about the outbacks.. don't they have the molded seats and not the lawnchair seat? I THINK I want to stay away from the molded seats.. .I THINK I want a lawnchair style seat.. the pedal variety kayak really looks nice, easy, fun, better for fishing.. but OMG expensive.
                    Yeah, mine is a 2014 Outback with the molded in seat, it's comfortable for me.

It's one of those old "you get what you pay for" things. Hobie are stupid expensive...but if you use it, it gets cheaper every time.

If I had a cheap kayak that I didn't like, and it cost me $500 and I used it 5 times, that would be $100 per outing.

I spent $2000 on my Outback, and have been on the water over 25 times since I bought it...and only one of those trips was less than 5 hours.
                    Hobie fleet:
                    2017 Quest 13
                    2015 Outback
                    2014 Outback

Comment

My Outback is still in it's infancy...It will only get more time on the water. I had a cheap kayak first, that I enjoyed when I got it; then it went several years without getting wet before I finally sold it.

I couldn't be happier, right now.
                      Hobie fleet:
                      2017 Quest 13
                      2015 Outback
                      2014 Outback

Comment

One of the main reasons I never bought a hobie kayak yet was the seats they had on them...the Pro Anglers have good seats, but to me they are hardly even kayaks, really more of small boat. The 2015 outback gets a vantage style seat and it looks to be just about the best seat available on any kayak.

After tax, I am dropping over $2,400 plus another $140 for turbo fins and large rudder. It will be worth it for me, but maybe not for everybody. I figure it is actually going to save me money after a couple months. I fish a lot and I have constant pain in my reconstructed shoulder from paddling, plus it seems like it is just generally more fatiguing paddling. I do home improvements for a living and having a peddle kayak is going to allow me to be more productive during the work week.

You might also look at the ride. They are coming out with a new vantage style seat very soon and were offering a $150 voucher if you buy the current model. The seat is priced at $279. If you can get your hands on a voucher, $130 is not bad for that new seat. It might be possible to get the kayak with a new seat for under $1k, which would make it just about the most affordable kayak with vantage style seating. I am selling mine, but already have buyers for it and my tarpon.

Comment

So this was my first ever kayak. The Ascend d10t. My original thought was this would be a great dual purpose kayak I could haul my weenie dog around in, and get some fishing in on occasion......now $300 dollars in fishing gear later.....I want an upgrade! But I've had a buddy start going with me and he has used my wife's perception sport, with degrees of success. So the ascend will make a great spare!

First the kayak is not rigged for fishing, but a crate and anchor system and your set! So cheap easy setup.
                          You can stand in this kayak. But is a bit of a balancing act. Not sure how easy this is to stand in some of the bigger ones?
                          So bloody hard to stay on target. Cuz very slight wind or a crank bait will turn this yak.
                          Butt will get wet.

I fished watts creek at martinak this Friday and saturday and the wind blew me all over the place. My hope is a native slayer propel will help with this.

recreation I think this is a good option. But if you wanna get serious about fishing, steer clear.

This was a good trial to test the kayaking waters to see if I liked it, and now I want to get serious!
                          Hidden Oak 2014 NATIVE SLAYER PROPEL 13
                          Tarpon 120
                          Ascend D10T

Personal bests
                          25 &1/4" Pickerel

SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
                          http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXjKlcf7rw_SwanvTarJVCg
                          Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beyon...46820392155412

Comment

It's cheaper to start with an expensive kayak...most of us have been though that lesson.
                            Hobie fleet:
                            2017 Quest 13
                            2015 Outback
                            2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
                            X