Hobie Sponsorship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobie Sponsorship

For those of you that are sponsored by companies, or more specifically Hobie.
    What are the guidelines for doing so and what are the benefits to you and/or Hobie? It sounds like all the guys that are sponsored have to buy a new kayak every year or at least the upgrade years. Is that true? Are you required to fish a certain amount of tournaments, etc?

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

The guidelines are pretty easy to adhere to. Besides not being allowed to fish with or use another kayak brand besides Hobie (no problem there), they require that you have the most current model year kayak. The partnership at the local level is between the team member and the sponsoring dealer (regional pros are more directly affilicated with Hobie from my understanding), so exactly how you want to obtain your new boat each year is between you and them. Some dealers provide their local team member with a boat to use for the season and some provide a new yak at a discounted price each year. In return you help promote their business, talk to people about Hobie fishing while you are out fishing, provide your dealer with pictures to aid with marketing in your specific area, help at local demo days, conduct kayak fishing seminars, etc. Regarding the tounaments, you are required to fish in three throughout the year.

I've received a few PM's recently asking me about this topic, so I am glad you brought it up. The biggest piece of advise I could give someone would be to learn your fishery enough so you can give accurate advice to others (or write a book ) and approach a local dealer after you have had time become familiar with the Hobie brand. The amount of local pros a dealer is willing to commit to will vary by dealer.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
      The guidelines are pretty easy to adhere to. Besides not being allowed to fish with or use another kayak brand besides Hobie (no problem there), they require that you have the most current model year kayak. The partnership at the local level is between the team member and the sponsoring dealer (regional pros are more directly affilicated with Hobie from my understanding), so exactly how you want to obtain your new boat each year is between you and them. Some dealers provide their local team member with a boat to use for the season and some provide a new yak at a discounted price each year. In return you help promote their business, talk to people about Hobie fishing while you are out fishing, provide your dealer with pictures to aid with marketing in your specific area, help at local demo days, conduct kayak fishing seminars, etc. Regarding the tounaments, you are required to fish in three throughout the year.

I've received a few PM's recently asking me about this topic, so I am glad you brought it up. The biggest piece of advise I could give someone would be to learn your fishery enough so you can give accurate advice to others (or write a book ) and approach a local dealer after you have had time become familiar with the Hobie brand. The amount of local pros a dealer is willing to commit to will vary by dealer.
      Doug pretty much hit it on the head there.

Essentially its just like in a business partnership... what can Hobie/Dealer do for you and what can you bring to the table for them that makes it a win win situation.

Comment

I am a Pro Staff member for Native Watercraft. Native is a much smaller company and is not able to offer all the fringe benefits to its Pro Staff members as larger companies like Hobie can do. I have no requirement to buy a new kayak each year. I used to own a Malibu kayak as my back-up and voluntarily sold it earlier this year and replaced it with a Manta Ray 11 to keep my fleet all-Native. I am able to purchase new kayaks and accessories directly from Native at a reduced price (no gear freebies). Other than that, I get an occasional T-shirt or sticker with the Native name on it.

Pro Staff members can support their brands in various ways, such as supporting dealers in seminars and demo days, entering tournaments, being active in social media and online fishing boards. I think a key element to getting selected as a Pro Staff is a long-term use of that company's product and a proven track record as an active contributor in local kayak fishing circles.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I have been interested in something like this for a while, im active on all sorts of social media, and fishing sites.. my networking in the fishing community is pretty large, from working at bass pro, to fishing all sorts of tournys all over and different types of tourneys.

never seem to get anywhere with it though. i love to tlak fishing. and kayak fishing. idc the brand lol i love them all
          Zach Moore
          Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
          Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
          Bait Towel Pro Staff
          2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
          YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

I have recently asked this question to a Hobie fishing team member, here on the forum. I haven't been kayak fishing for long but I have been fishing since a kid. I'm not the best at it but I always thought of being a Pro fisherman, but I couldn't afford a $50,000 plus boat that those guys have. I think thats why I have fallen in love with Kayak fishing, It really levels the playing field for anyone to have a chance. The CBKA tournament will be my first fishing tournament ever but I want to enter in many more, I have been scouring the internet looking for more tournaments. I haven't had much luck their seems to be a lot in Florida, Louisiana, and Texas. I prefer salt water fishing, but besides the CBKA and the TKAA I really haven't found a lot in the North east My hopes is that next year I will be able to enter into more tournaments and kayak fishing events and become a little more recognized and apply for some sponsorships. As for you Alan with your book and all the great things you had to say about Hobie in it I'm pretty sure you have a good chance.
            Travis
            Dune Hobie Pro Angler 12
            Orange Old Town NEXT
            USN

Comment

There was a great article that was just posted up on Kayak Fish. I thought it brought up a good point. "Pro" is short for promotional staff member...not professional. If you catch all the fish in the world, but are a total @ss, with no people skills, you serve no benefit to any company, yet alone one in the fishing industry which is essentially based on talking and b.s.'ing with potential customers. If you don't like interacting with others, a sponsorship is probably not for you. Having a good understanding of the fishery in your area, knowledge of what you are selling, and good people skills are what makes you more appealing to a dealer/brand.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
              Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
              2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

yeah i can talk a pig into eating a pound of ham haha

on a real side i love talking, i love talking fishing, thats why i kept a part time job at bass pro shops. i wasnt there for the money, i just met so many great people, learned so much.

i feel its just not ment to be yet. which is fine, theres still alot to learn im 26. i dont know everything. I know alot, but prolly know as much as i should or id be where i want to be haha

life is all about opportunity and im just making sure im prepared if the opportunity ever arises.
                Zach Moore
                Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
                Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
                Bait Towel Pro Staff
                2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

There's an article in the new Fall issue of Kayak Angler Magazine also, you can read it online for free.

Might have to register with them or something, I don't remember for sure...it asks me for my email address when I click on the issue, I type it in and it opens. I get email from the company, so registering probably added me to their mailing list? If a daily email about kayak fishing bothers you it might not be your cup of tea.

http://www.rapidmedia.com/ka/kayakanglermag_fall14/
                  Hobie fleet:
                  2017 Quest 13
                  2015 Outback
                  2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                    I think a key element to getting selected as a Pro Staff is a long-term use of that company's product and a proven track record as an active contributor in local kayak fishing circles.
                    Totally agree with this and the fact that you would use that product regardless of any sponsorship's and/or pro staff's.

Comment

Doug did a great job with the explanation! If you're coming to CBKA I'd be happy to discuss further with you.

@ FL Boy, come talk to me at CBKA and I can point you in the right direction with more NE tournaments. I'd rather talk about what you're looking to catch and the type of experience you're looking for before I recommend some. There are a lot of good ones though!
                      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                        Doug did a great job with the explanation! If you're coming to CBKA I'd be happy to discuss further with you.

@ FL Boy, come talk to me at CBKA and I can point you in the right direction with more NE tournaments. I'd rather talk about what you're looking to catch and the type of experience you're looking for before I recommend some. There are a lot of good ones though!
                        Thanks, I would really appreciate that.
                        Travis
                        Dune Hobie Pro Angler 12
                        Orange Old Town NEXT
                        USN

Comment

Working...
                        X