Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Signed up for the tournament.. oh crap.. now what!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Signed up for the tournament.. oh crap.. now what!!!

SO I signed up for the tournament on the 12th.. I am majorly stoked!!!!

Now I just realized.. I have never fished on the bay or even in saltwater. So I need some advice...

Help me create a list of things I need for the tournament..

1. I have a MD fish license, I need to make sure it has tidal endorsement.
    2. My poles are fairly light weight.. they are more of a 2 to 6 pound freshwater fish type (but good quality reels and rods).. They have 20lb test on them but are built for Walleye, Pike, Bass, etc. DO I need heavier salt water poles and reels?
    3. Life vest.. I need one of these regardless.. I have two for my son but none for me yet.
    4. I am launching from the tournament location so as far as I can tell, I don't need an Anne Arundel boat launch permit.. right?
    5. All my tackle is again built towards fresh water (bass, pike, walleye, crappie).. small spinners, Rapelas, etc.. what basic tackle (and size) should I pick up for rockfish and other fish in the bay?
    6. A cooler with drinks and some snacks.
    7. Do I need any live bait, and what kind.. with my normal fishing I would get some worms, leeches (freaks out my son), and minnows.
    8. I have some Gulp worms and minnows but again not sure what colors and etc work best.
    9. I have a net, do I need lip grips? I have a needle nose pliers for pulling out hooks.
    10. Do I need some gloves to protect my hands from fish teeth?

I don't expect to win the tournament, or even place.. My goal is to mingle with anglers in this area, maybe catch a fish or two, spend a great day on the bay in a yak.. really it is about the experience for me.

I have done TONS of freshwater fishing, mostly in Minnesota.. and I have even commercial fished (on lake superior) with gill nets. I just don't know how to gear up for the bay.

what
    People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

1) Make sure you have a tidal license

2) I use the same rods/reels as what I use for freshwater. Medium to Medium-Heavy rods, with 20# braid.

3) Yes, and wear it. Almost never wore mine on freshwater, the bay is BIG water; it's always moving (tidal current and waves), big boats with big wakes. NOT trying to scare you, just giving you my perspective. I'm an excellent swimmer, but if I got separated from my kayak a mile from the shore...maybe not so much.

4) You should be covered with your tourney entry fee.

5) See #2

6) Yes, I take a small cooler with bottled water and a couple sandwiches. This trip I will have a bigger cooler in camp with extra supplies.

7) I troll artificials (jigs with 4" plastic tails, or crankbaits. For live bait: I use a high-low rig with bloodworm "Fishbites" to catch spot, or roostertails to catch white perch.

8) 4" swimming mullet or paddle tail in white or chartreuse have been productive. I like the Z-Man paddle tails on a 1/2 oz red or white jig head.

9) I don't have a net, I use a "Fish Gripper". I always carry needle nose pliers to get hooks out...keeps the fingers at a little more distance from the hook.

10) Fish Gripper. You can "lip" some saltwater fish, but the ones you can't will make a walleye or pike look tame. Bring an old hand towel, you can wrap that around a fish for a good grip on their body or lay it across their eyes to calm them down.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

One more thing: fish that live in tidal water are strong. Even the little ones. They are constantly moving, because the water is always moving. Not like freshwater fish that can hang out in one place for hours.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Smith View Post
        SO I signed up for the tournament on the 12th.. I am majorly stoked!!!!

Now I just realized.. I have never fished on the bay or even in saltwater. So I need some advice...

Help me create a list of things I need for the tournament..

1. I have a MD fish license, I need to make sure it has tidal endorsement.
        2. My poles are fairly light weight.. they are more of a 2 to 6 pound freshwater fish type (but good quality reels and rods).. They have 20lb test on them but are built for Walleye, Pike, Bass, etc. DO I need heavier salt water poles and reels?
        3. Life vest.. I need one of these regardless.. I have two for my son but none for me yet.
        4. I am launching from the tournament location so as far as I can tell, I don't need an Anne Arundel boat launch permit.. right?
        5. All my tackle is again built towards fresh water (bass, pike, walleye, crappie).. small spinners, Rapelas, etc.. what basic tackle (and size) should I pick up for rockfish and other fish in the bay?
        6. A cooler with drinks and some snacks.
        7. Do I need any live bait, and what kind.. with my normal fishing I would get some worms, leeches (freaks out my son), and minnows.
        8. I have some Gulp worms and minnows but again not sure what colors and etc work best.
        9. I have a net, do I need lip grips? I have a needle nose pliers for pulling out hooks.
        10. Do I need some gloves to protect my hands from fish teeth?

I don't expect to win the tournament, or even place.. My goal is to mingle with anglers in this area, maybe catch a fish or two, spend a great day on the bay in a yak.. really it is about the experience for me.

I have done TONS of freshwater fishing, mostly in Minnesota.. and I have even commercial fished (on lake superior) with gill nets. I just don't know how to gear up for the bay.

what
        Come see me at BassPro Shops.. There is a few of us that work there we can help you.
        Maria
        GO RAVENS!!!
        D10 Ascend
        http://c85c7a.medialib.glogster.com/...lers-2-png.png

Comment

does the fish grip hurt the fish? If you strapped that on my jaw and lifted me around by it, I wouldn't just go back to business as normal..ever.
          People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Comment

Bottom line don't over complicate. Fish are fish. You can use what you have. Placing fish have been caught in past years with simple 2 hook bottom rigs and bloodworms not far from launch.
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Smith View Post
              does the fish grip hurt the fish? If you strapped that on my jaw and lifted me around by it, I wouldn't just go back to business as normal..ever.
              Doesn't seem to hurt them.

And x2 on what Shady said: Don't over complicate it. They're still just fish. This is my first season on the bay, it can't be "that" hard...I'm catching fish.
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
                Bottom line don't over complicate. Fish are fish. You can use what you have. Placing fish have been caught in past years with simple 2 hook bottom rigs and bloodworms not far from launch.
                Good Luck
                Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
                Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Schedule keeps me from fishing the tournament this year, plan on being there next year. No matter what you do, have fun!
                  Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                  Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

I would like to fish that tournament also, but I am leaving for Rhode Island Thursday. Maybe next year.

The Ugly Stik Striper is a good, versatile saltwater rod for the money. I think it was $35 at Bass pro. I just bought a second one recently. The striper and tiger lite are actually my favorite rods for the kayak. Very durable.

Comment

Just picked up 2 Star Stellar Lite 6'6" one piece 12-20 lb line to match up to my Shimano 4000 OC baitrunners. Now I got to make sure they don't sink.
                      Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                      Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Whistle and a flag. Tackle should be fine as long as long as you hose down with freshwater afterwards. I only use 10 and 15 lb test braid on my reels. But I do use 25lb test fluorocarbon leader.
                        John D.
                        2015 Hobie Revolution 13
                        GO RAVENS!!!
                        GO ORIOLES!!!

Comment

Good point-rod floats or leashes. Maybe dramamine if you are susceptible to that in bumpier water.
                          John D.
                          2015 Hobie Revolution 13
                          GO RAVENS!!!
                          GO ORIOLES!!!

Comment

Not sure where you are at right now, but your welcome to come down to chesapeake beach this weekend and play in the surf to get a feel for it. The area in front of my place is great for learning.

I wouldn't call the bay big water, but it's not still water either. You'll likely not encounter any swell larger than 3 ft unless you get buzzed by a boat. It's also good practice for the ocean.

Also, I just got the GX2 Ugly Sticks in med-heavy and they are the best (non-Japanese) rod I've owned so far. $30-40 at Walmart.

Comment

Is it relatively easy to launch from camp wright without kayak wheels? Looking forward to the weekend!

Jake
                              J

Comment

Working...
                              X