Daily limits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily limits

SO I was perusing the DNR size and limits page (yes I have NO LIFE), but I figured it is my responsibility to know the laws (just like I am required to know certain stuff at work).

As far as I can tell, your daily limit is the same as your CREEL limit.. what the heck is a CREEL? Why don't they just say possession limit.. in fact in the below chart they state both a daily possession and creel limit.. I don't get it. Clearly I can have only the number of fish in that box.. but what is a creel?

Capture.jpg
    People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Originally posted by Pat Smith View Post
    SO I was perusing the DNR size and limits page (yes I have NO LIFE), but I figured it is my responsibility to know the laws (just like I am required to know certain stuff at work).

As far as I can tell, your daily limit is the same as your CREEL limit.. what the heck is a CREEL? Why don't they just say possession limit.. in fact in the below chart they state both a daily possession and creel limit.. I don't get it. Clearly I can have only the number of fish in that box.. but what is a creel?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13331[/ATTACH]
    Creel is a term normally used in fly fishing....it's the daily limit "on your person". Possession limit is multi-day....what you can have if you fish over/past midnight.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

This is a creel:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creel_(basket)

It's a term of yesteryear used to describe a wicker basket worn on the hip to hold fish. And yeah, it's a term more associated with trout fishing. Creels have been in use for a century or two pretty and are pretty much unchanged in appearance. A "creel limit" is the number of fish the angler can legally keep and hold in his creel. On very rare occasions guys still use creels to hold fish for the same reason guys still use flintlocks to shoot deer. Sometimes old habits are hard to break and old terms are hard to lose. Now-a-days, creels are still sold but are mostly used to hang on the wall in your fishing cabin or man-cave. If you ever do use a creel to hold fish then you are also required to wear a tie, tweed coat & hat, and be smoking a pipe.
      Last edited by HJS; 09-08-2014, 07:53 AM.
      Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

That’s a good question Pat and an excellent answer Howard.

I especially like your comment about the tweed jacket and pipe. I have fly fished alot and never seen anyone dressed like that. Pipe yes, tweed no. Nor have I ever seen anyone use a creel – thanks to the proliferation of catch and release, I presume.

But if you’ll let me hijack this thread a bit I’d like to make a comment.

There are days when I come off of the Bay from a kayak session feeling quite tired. Battling the waves and the wind and chugging through them can require a lot of physical effort depending on conditions, even though I am fortunate enough to have a pedal kayak. I am usually soaked with perspiration under my PFD and wet everywhere else from the spray and water I’ve taken on-board.

I must admit that some of those days I think about the peacefulness of standing alone in a river or stream with a fly rod. I can do that for hours and never feel even slightly tired. I can fully understand why and how people dressed as they did years ago to chase fish with feathers tied to their hooks.

Now wearing tweed in kayak would be a disaster. You might double your weight on an outing due to the water you take on. But despite what I said above there are also similarities between kayak fishing and fly fishing a river or small stream. You can get close to your prey in both. You can fish with others and yet remain apart. You have mobility to go where you think fish are. You can fish shallow water. You can read currents and structure in each form of fishing.

It all just shows how varied fishing is and yet how similar and that’s what makes it such a wonderful pursuit. There are countless ways to fish from offshore pursuits of monster species to catching small trout in a stream. Kayak fishing has given me another way to enjoy what I like to do.

Thanks for allowing me this diversion. Sorry I got there from the mention of “creel” but it seemed appropriate.
        Last edited by Mark; 09-08-2014, 10:15 AM.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Great question and great answers - I never new this till after this post.

Comment

Looks to me like we can exchange modern day stringers or cooler as the creel.
            Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
            Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

I had to go put on my tweed jacket to participate to this thread.

I am a little more educated now after reading this thread (sadly, no more intelligent).

Mark, I love how you said "you can go to where you THINK the fish are." I got a chuckle out of that.

Salty Dog, if you use a stringer.. you have to give back your Tweed jacket, and don a gortex one.
              People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Comment

Now that I think about it, I used to have a gortex golf rain jacket that looks like tweed. Hum that should work.
                Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Working...
                X