Where to go where to go?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to go where to go?!

So I posted on pierandsurf and didn't really get much feedback so I'll ask on here!

I recently found out I've racked up a few vacation days at work, and that October 16/17 are "fall break days" (kinda dumb but whatever) at my college. I immediately thought of planning a new and different fishing trip.

I'd really like to drive not much longer than 5 hours any which way. I'm located in shepherdstown WV right next to Washington County. First I thought of assateague, and just camping out there on the island.

Then I thought well if I'm gonna go to assateague I might as well just drive to the OBX since it's only an extra hour. From what I've read I could expect plenty of puppy drum from the surf ( I've never caught one).

But what do you guys think? I really want to get into some saltwater action, as I don't get the chance very often. Also I'm not sure how much kayak action I'll get into as two of my buddies who don't have boats might come. If they come I'll leave the kayaks at home and just stick to surf fishing. Places I can camp are a plus. I'm all ears! Please input! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Zack
    Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
    Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
    "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

I like South Nags Head. You can find walk to fishing spots at both ends of the Bonner Bridge areas. Wade fish each end and fish from the the catwalk. Id rethink not taking the yak. Let your friends stay land bound. You will be sorry you didnt take the yak I think.
    You could take the yak to the Pea Island Wildlife refuge past Bonner Bridge and put in at their landing. Fall can be fun and productive there. Enjoy whatever you end up doing. I think there are camping areas at South Nags Head too.
    Last edited by Deadwood; 09-08-2014, 03:49 PM.
    Deadwood (Dave)
    West River & Miles River
    2-Old Town Dirigo 12's,2-Old Town Vapors 10ft, 1-NWSlayer Propel13.
    If you dont go, you wont know, and you got to have bait in the water.

Comment

Yea I might still bring it anyways. They can rent em while they're down there. I had a lot of fun going into the back creeks near kitty hawk bay this past summer. I can only imagine how productive it'd be in the fall

Zack
      Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

I was just in Nags head and there is a great beach campground across from the Marina that Deadwood speaks about. Also there is a nice fishing pier beside the Washington Baum Bridge. I got alot of good tips and info from the Whalebone Tackle shop on where to go.

Comment

Can anyone give me some insight on what I can expect to catch down there? We went down around that time when I was younger and I remember catching a lot of big mullet and specks.

Zack
          Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

If you do go to Assateague, you'd still have a shot at a bull red from the surf (mid-oct. is about a week before the "run" typically fizzles out). If walking on, VA is a better shot than MD. If you have the OSV permit than both are good.

Puppy drum were thick in the surf last two years; this year is anybody's guess if they show. I personally don't think they'll be there like they've been, but hoping I'm wrong.
            Brian

Comment

even if you are landbound with your friends.. bring the yak.. you could paddle out their lines far past what they could cast.. then paddle back in and enjoy the company.. or make them paddle out their own lines (and yours).
              People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Comment

Working...
              X