Another species down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another species down

Caught a very tiny speckled trout tonight. Tiny but at least an indication they are here
    Yellow Pompano 120

I've never caught a speckled trout. Where did you catch this one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

On the cuckold creek in st. Marys county
      Yellow Pompano 120

Comment

I caught a bunch of weakfish/gray trout near Dennis point....one just short of keeper size.
        Keep at it Cody!!
        14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Will do. Aren't weakfish kind of scarce around here
          Yellow Pompano 120

Comment

Man, that is one tiny speck.

This year really has sucked for specks. Last year I would sometimes catch 2 to 3 times as many in one day as compared to what I have caught this entire year, but I have not really been targeting them this year so far in VA because the season was closed until recently. Hoping to catch some this fall.

Comment

Yeah I never catch them here until about this time of year and they are always snall

Pompano 120
              Yellow Pompano 120

Comment

Originally posted by Cody View Post
                Yeah I never catch them here until about this time of year and they are always snall

Pompano 120
                Yeah, the fall should be better hopefully. But I have caught more in the spring other years.

Comment

Originally posted by Cody View Post
                  Will do. Aren't weakfish kind of scarce around here
                  yes they certsainly were scarce....I had only caught one (till Sat) in the past 7 years...then I caught 7 or 8 in a 45 min stretch
                  14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                  2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Years ago, weakies stripers and blues ran together on the bay. Remember fishing at Point Lookout at night in the late eighties, I think stripers were on moratorium, but catching weak fish, striper and big blues in one night. None were under the limit. filled the cooler with big weakies and big blues in one night. What happened to the big boys and girls?
                    Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                    Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

I used to catch huge blues all the time over that way growing up. I don't think they had as many of these huge operations like omega around back then. They just kill tons and tons of the fish we like to target as their 'bycatch' in addition to starving them from their favorite food source. The really stupid thing is the supplements they make from all the bunker they catch really don't do much of anything for all these people that buy up all those pills. I don't mind the little guys running gill nets quite as much when they follow the rules, but there were unmonitored gill nets down in lynnhaven last weekend with a bunch of blues and who know what else just sitting there rotting for the crabs to eat...and that sort of thing pisses me off a bit.

Comment

Congratulations on your Spec. I have been fishing south of cuckhold creek and have caught several weakfish( a first for me) and several Specs on two outings. One of the Specs were a keeper. The smaller weakfish are mixed in with the bait balls and can be caught on drifted bottom rigs to jigged live minnows. The bigger specs were caught just below the bait balls containing smaller blues with gulp to live bait near the bottom. Keep at it the biggerSpecs are lurking around.

Comment

I spoke to a dude who was ticketed for having undersized crabs & 2 baby specks. I asked him why & he said he didnt think anyone would check his catch. This was last week on the Patuxent. Then , a few days later I caught my 1st weakfish....a small 7"er in OC during a blues blitz. I was surprised. Back in the water it went.

Comment

Working...
                          X