Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 lb enough?

Hi all,
    I was going over my setup and realized I had only 8lb test (mono) on my reel. Is that good enough or should I re-string it with 15?
    People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Probably fine... I fish a lot just using an ultra light with 6 lb braid. I've caught cats up to 25" and striper to 24" on that...
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I believe Kayak Kevin said you should rig for the "what if".... meaning rig for the largest possible size fish in your target area. Because what if you do hook up and you are not rigged right, I think you know the answer to that

Comment

My rule of thumb, "use what you can get away with" meaning use the heaviest lb test that will not hinder the action of the lure and still be strong enough to withstand certain possible bumps and scrapes that line may come in contact with. Sure we can all go out and use 100lb test and prepare for the worst and catch a few or you can use 8lb and hook lots but risk the possible breakoff.
        Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
        -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
        -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

Yea, I mean I caught that 50+# drum on 15# braid. You can get away with lighter line on a kayak then on boat or shore
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Yeah the kayak really adds to the drag. You can use much lighter line than you think.

I have 40# braid on my rods, but that's from my island fishing days. I wouldn't need half that here in the bay.

Comment

If you're targeting larger fish, 20 lb braid will handle any fish in the Bay, assuming you've not tightened your drag down too much, and you've tied good knots.

Monofilament stretches, so you can go a bit lighter for better casting. Just make sure your drag is set on medium and your knots are well tied in either type of line.

Comment

You can catch plenty of fish with 8-lb mono. It is when you have the fish near the boat and it surges or when you try to lift it in that you may get some breakoffs. You would be safer to move up to 12-lb mono or 10-lb braid. Then add a 12" to 18" leader of 20-lb mono or fluorocarbon.
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Yes, the leader is critical.

I actually use 8 pound mono on my spinning rods. I got busted off a few times at the boat last year until Raptor advised me to use a heavier leader.

But my problem this year has been finding fish big enough to test the heavy leader! I'm ready for the big ones but they have not been obliging to me.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                  Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I know that with things like Bees (had a yellow jacket nest) and fruiting plants (like blueberries) everything is two weeks behind or so. Perhaps the fish are the same? The long spring and cool summer have mucked up everyone.

Comment

I have some wire leaders.. but I suspect you are saying put 12 to 18 inches of 25lb mono on my rig, then whatever lure...

Comment

I use wire leaders too. Blues have cut 25# mono before.

Comment

Pat,

Yes, tie the leader directly to your line and the lure to your leader.

I use a surgeon's knot to connect the leader to the line. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yftA2kvFERU

Very easy to tie and very strong when tying mono to mono or fluorocarbon to mono.

If you have braided line I think you need another kind of knot to connect a mono leader. I'm not sure what that is but I'm sure someone here can chime in.
                          Mark
                          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                            Pat,

If you have braided line I think you need another kind of knot to connect a mono leader. I'm not sure what that is but I'm sure someone here can chime in.
                            There are various knots that work. I use the double uni knot to connect braided line to a mono or fluorocarbon leader.
                            John Veil
                            Annapolis
                            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I leave a swivel on the end of my main line to swap leaders/lures/baits in a flash.

Comment

Working...
                              X