Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water Temps Are Down/ Any Severn/Magothy River Action?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was out Sat 10:00 am- 12:00 pm and stayed in Chase Creek due to wind, boat wakes. I timed the trip to coincide with the active period as per the solunar tide site. The fish and bait schools were definitely active during the start of a strong incoming tide. I bottom fished a couple of boathouses/piers with 8-12 foot drop-offs with leftover bloodworms and freshly caught minnows, and it worked well 'till I ran out of bloodworms. I kept a couple of fat keepers, but lots of dinks - all w perch.

I also tried casting a rattletrap to schools of active baitfish hoping to get some blues or smaller rockfish action, but no luck. I'll try something shinier next time, like a Kastmaster or Tony Acetta.

On the way in, I did have a hook up with a nice size pickerel casting a white Gulp/small white jig, but he spit the hook.

I finally had success with my minnow trap using a leftover steamed crab in the trash for bait. Hardcore, but minnows don't care, I guess they like Old Bay as much as we do...
    Last edited by Fishinfool; 09-23-2014, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dsiekman View Post
      Fished Saturday morning for a couple hours. Got a couple fat schoolies, 14-16". Lost eight or ten plastics to blues. Definitely better. Also saw a 19" caught. Round Bay and north.

That sounds good Doug! Water temp was down to 72 at Thomas Pt today, so action should be good from now thru October.

Now, finding the time to fish is another story..

Comment

Hopefully the forecasts for Columbus day are good so we can be the only ones out on the south river.
        PigPen - Mt Airy
        Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Working...
        X